BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

Storage under the bonnet ?

Asked this sometime ago.
Is it possible OR is anybody storing anything under the plastic cover under the bonnet.....or is it too risky ?
Seems quite a waist of space looking at the pics and videos.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
Bert13
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Been following this…

https://wokeby.de/en/news/news-about-the-bmw-ix3-frunk/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yeah got the email saying orders from next weekend
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 03:31 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
I’m guessing it won’t be cheap. Looks bigger than the i3 one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #5
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I’m guessing it won’t be cheap. Looks bigger than the i3 one.
Looks really good but judging by the price of the i3 Frunk already on their site, I'd expect the iX3 frunk to be in the region of about 500 Euros. That's alot of money for something that will hardly ever been seen.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

I never got the frunk thing - it is extremely inconvenient to open & close (compared to a motorized boot with a kick sensor), plus I cannot imagine I'd ever run so short on space in an iX3 that I would have extra 47 liters for 300+ EUR which is the Wokeby.de solution.

Frunk feels more like a "EV gimmick" - even when the Tesla owners state having the charge cables in the frunk - while the charging port is in the back. Maybe in a F150 Lightning or Rivian where it actually provides a lot more space I would find it useful time to time. Am I alone with my opinion?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #7
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post
I never got the frunk thing - it is extremely inconvenient to open & close (compared to a motorized boot with a kick sensor), plus I cannot imagine I'd ever run so short on space in an iX3 that I would have extra 47 liters for 300+ EUR which is the Wokeby.de solution.

Frunk feels more like a "EV gimmick" - even when the Tesla owners state having the charge cables in the frunk - while the charging port is in the back. Maybe in a F150 Lightning or Rivian where it actually provides a lot more space I would find it useful time to time. Am I alone with my opinion?
I am tempted to install one, only for the storage of the “granny charger” as this is very rarely used by me. And that one takes a lot of space in the rear storage space.
For vacation trips with the rear fully stacked, the frunk could be useful to carry the Type2 cable as it would be difficult to reach that with lots of luggage on the lid.

But for regular use it does not look very practical.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 04:35 AM   #8
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post

I had a Porsche Boxster S, which had a trunk and a frunk. I was quite useful having both. However, you shouldn't put your eggs and bacon in the trunk - it sits over the engine and can act as a warming drawer on a long journey!

My thought for the frunk was for the charging cables. I have plastic crates in the boot for work equipment that I need to carry round with me. If I am going away on a journey, the boot is inevitably loaded up with stuff. Getting to the compartment where the charge cables are stored can be difficult, and can sometimes result in a partial unload.

I don't use the cables frequently. So the extra 4 or 5 steps to get to the frunk would not be too much of a hardship. And it would be so much easier than unloading half the equipment in the boot.

Is it worth £500? I think not. I have plenty of better things on which to spend that sort of money!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 04:48 AM   #9
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

Every single reviewer mentions the (lack of) front loadspace, and make a great issue of it, but then they all mention the exact same list of things for each car anyway, so pretty much read one review and you've read them all.
Yes, it would have been nice if BMW had taken the trouble to utilise the space that is already there, but it was never going to be a deal breaker for me, and I certainly wouldn't be spending £500 for an aftermarket item either.
Appreciate 0