bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Any way to code wired CarPlay?

Wireless CarPlay sucks. It murders the battery on my iPhone 12 pro, there's massive latency issues, and my phone more often than not bogs down entirely once disconnected. It also makes it more difficult for my co-pilot to control navigation and music. Has anyone found a way to enabled WIRED CarPlay?

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 07:28 PM   #2
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

BMW has never supported wired carplay, it's all wireless on everything. Even on Minis.

FWIW I have no problems with it, so some of your issues might be with your phone. Might try resetting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
BMW has never supported wired carplay, it's all wireless on everything. Even on Minis.

FWIW I have no problems with it, so some of your issues might be with your phone. Might try resetting it.
Issue is not the phone. It has worked fine on multiple vehicles over the last year. Wired CarPlay on my RS5 was flawless.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #4
steelatx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Issue is not the phone. It has worked fine on multiple vehicles over the last year. Wired CarPlay on my RS5 was flawless.
I second this. I got a brand new s22 and android auto murders my battery and leaves the phone a burning inferno. Tried on both my S20 and s22 with similar results. This is my first time ever owning a car with android auto so maybe this is the norm? But I would assume the battery drain would be less than running maps on my phone natively, not more. 😬
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:08 PM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelatx View Post
I second this. I got a brand new s22 and android auto murders my battery and leaves the phone a burning inferno. Tried on both my S20 and s22 with similar results. This is my first time ever owning a car with android auto so maybe this is the norm? But I would assume the battery drain would be less than running maps on my phone natively, not more. 😬
If you are running the phone on the wireless charger this will further escalate the issue. Using a wireless charger is putting your phone over a charging coil and the charging process generates quite a lot of heat in the phone itself (sort of like an induction cooktop).

When you connect to carplay it establishes a bluetooth connection then transfers the bluetooth connection to an ad hoc generated wireless connection to accommodate the data transfer as bluetooth alone is not enough to transfer the data, but the audio is still on bluetooth, so there’s a lot going on with your phone and charging it wirelessly won’t keep up with the charge and the charging bay is not ventilated so the problem becomes worse and you can get thermal runaway with the phone.

Maybe try using one of the USB-C ports in the centre console or one of the pair in the back to charge your phone. I’ve tried it charging a laptop, camera gear, ipads and it provides a good output charge rate.

I’m using an iPhone 13 pro max and have zero issues with carplay but have always had overheating problems when using Android Auto with other phones
Appreciate 0