BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

I thought I'd start a thread where folks can post a like and dislike about the iX as they drive and learn about it.

For today:

Like: the adaptive braking. It seems to work extremely well slowing down the vehicle based of the traffic in front.

Dislike: this may be a user error, but using the digital key, it appears that you have to select a profile and enter the pin each time you start the vehicle. By default it goes to the guest profile. I've linked my profile to the digital key, but it seems to have no effect. I wonder if the reason is that a digital key may be shared among multiple users. That said it's really nice to be able to open the car with my iPhone or Apple Watch

**** Update ****

You have to link the digital with the profile by tapping the 'link key' under the BMW ID setting. I found it confusing because there was a green tick mark next to it making it seem like the key was already linked
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 11:11 AM   #2
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

Like: heads up display. superior to the one in the X5. It's very crisp and bright and so much larger. Would awesome if the could project the augmented reality cues on it instead of the centre display.

Dislike: cup holders. They are placed awkwardly and I can't fit my 22 oz water bottle into them without it contacting the upper portion of the console. Classic German hatred of cup holders

Wish: set the interior cabin not to rise above a certain temp - I believe Tesla allows for this. Would be even nicer if it were possible to set a range (like home HVAC) eg keep warmer than x and cooler than y. This could be time and/or battery level limited, but would be very useful in cold/hot climes when running an errand/shopping and being out the car for an hour or two.

Last edited by TheIX; 04-08-2022 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIX View Post
Like: heads up display. superior to the one in the X5. It's very crisp and bright and so much larger. Would awesome if the could project the augmented reality cues on it instead of the centre display.

Dislike: cup holders. They are placed awkwardly and I can't fit my 22 oz water bottle into them without it contacting the upper portion of the console. Classic German hatred of cup holders

Wish: could the interior cabin not to rise above a certain temp - I believe Tesla allows for this. Would be even nicer if it were possible to set a range (like home HVAC) eg keep warmer than x and cooler than y. This could be time and/or battery level limited, but would be very useful in cold/hot climes when running an errand/shopping and being out the car for an hour or two.
Brings up a good point - hadn't seen it referenced, but is there a remote climatization option in the iX? You would at least be able to preheat/cool the car....
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #4
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

There are a couple of options. You can schedule climatisation on a regular schedule, or provide a one off departure time. The schedule may be set from the app or from iDrive, I believe the one off is only from the app, but would have to double check.

You can also immediately start climatisation from the BMW app. The function will only run for 15 minutes (seems like a carryover from the ICE vehicles). There is no way to set desired temperature that I could find.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15613.00
      04-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
There are a couple of options. You can schedule climatisation on a regular schedule, or provide a one off departure time. The schedule may be set from the app or from iDrive, I believe the one off is only from the app, but would have to double check.

You can also immediately start climatisation from the BMW app. The function will only run for 15 minutes (seems like a carryover from the ICE vehicles). There is no way to set desired temperature that I could find.
Is there a pet mode like in the Tesla?
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #6
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

There unfortunately isn't. Given how hot (and cold) much of the US can get, it seems like a simple software update would sort it out. I would love it if, when I go to the shops and it's either 100 degrees out (in the summer), or 20 degrees out (in the winter), the car could remain at the temp at which I set it. Again battery charge state etc could be taken into consideration by the software.

If I were designing it, I'd call it something like the 'Be right back' mode which could be initiated from iDrive (or the app). Based on charge and climate settings, this would default to 60 minutes with the user being able to extend or reduce it. The function would keep the car's interior temperature at the current temperature. Based on charge and/or a certain amount of time, a push notification to the user could ask them if they wanted to continue keeping the car climatised (providing range impact e.g. you have 250 miles range left, continuing to maintain temperature for another hour will reduce it to 230 miles).

Last edited by TheIX; 04-08-2022 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Paladin15613.00
      04-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
slampert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX50

Since you seem interested in sharing your ownership experience, I'd really appreciate hearing about mundane stuff like battery consumption, in day to day use scenarios such as kicking around town, doing local errands, sitting in traffic with music and a/c blasting on a warm day etc. How much are you driving, how often do you charge ?

The iX will be my first EV, and I'm trying to get a sense of the modus vivendi...
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

I'd be happy to do that. I'll add it to my posts in this thread
Appreciate 2
slampert162.00
      04-08-2022, 10:41 PM   #9
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

For Today:

Trip Info:
25.7 miles driver, 4.1KWh used, 2.4 mi/kWh
Terrain: Hilly in-town driving with speeds ranging from 20s to mid-40s. Outside temperature: mid-30s to low 50s
MyModes: Efficient
HVAC: 68

Like:
Digital key plus - It's a first world thing, but I enjoy not having to carry a key around in my pocket

Dislike:
Can't adjust the follow distance from the steering wheel when using adaptive cruise control. There even appears to be a button opposite the cruise control on/off switch which is unused and could have been used for this.
Appreciate 1
slampert162.00
      04-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #10
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
For Today:

Trip Info:
Terrain: Hilly in-town driving with speeds ranging from 20s to mid-40s. Outside temperature: mid-30s to low 50s
What size tires do you have?

For range is the math 2.4 x 105 = 252 mile range?

This would be good info to track. 25.7 miles is not a good range to track overall range as you stated it was hilly but would be interested to see the average kwh after 100 miles.
Appreciate 1
slampert162.00
      04-09-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post

This would be good info to track. 25.7 miles is not a good range to track overall range as you stated it was hilly but would be interested to see the average kwh after 100 miles.
Good temp info though - mid-30s will significantly reduce battery efficiency. Great to have real-world stats....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:52 PM   #12
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have the 21 inch wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 03:04 PM   #13
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
There unfortunately isn't. Given how hot (and cold) much of the US can get, it seems like a simple software update would sort it out. I would love it if, when I go to the shops and it's either 100 degrees out (in the summer), or 20 degrees out (in the winter), the car could remain at the temp at which I set it. Again battery charge state etc could be taken into consideration by the software.

If I were designing it, I'd call it something like the 'Be right back' mode which could be initiated from iDrive (or the app). Based on charge and climate settings, this would default to 60 minutes with the user being able to extend or reduce it. The function would keep the car's interior temperature at the current temperature. Based on charge and/or a certain amount of time, a push notification to the user could ask them if they wanted to continue keeping the car climatised (providing range impact e.g. you have 250 miles range left, continuing to maintain temperature for another hour will reduce it to 230 miles).
In my X5 PHEV there's a setting that pops up on-screen as an option every time I turn it off called "comfort climate" (not to be confused with the climate comfort windscreen) which runs the HVAC to maintain the interior temp for around 30 minutes or so as long as the high voltage battery has enough juice left. I just tap the screen to turn it on. Doesn't the IX have this feature? I had assumed it would and that it would run longer based on the much higher battery capacity.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 05:25 PM   #14
The BOB
Rep
Drives: iX40 Sport

Dislike: I didn’t get the soft close doors, after having them on my X5 I got very used to gently pulling the door to partially closed position and then letting the soft close do it thing. Also don’t like the fingerprints left on the door due to the lack of a protruding door handle.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #15
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BOB View Post
Also don’t like the fingerprints left on the door due to the lack of a protruding door handle.
Easy fix, just use the window instead.
Appreciate 2
volodp199.50
      04-10-2022, 01:30 AM   #16
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

Like: The overall quietness of the cabin

Dislike: x5 multi contour seats much more functional. For example iX massage programs are only for the lumbar. There is no adjustment for side bolsters or seat length.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #17
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
For Today:

Trip Info:
Any update on range numbers you can share?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #18
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
For Today:

Trip Info:
Any update on range numbers you can share?
The latest info I have:

Since Factory:
362 miles
2.5 miles/kWh

Most of the driving is in and around town in quite hilly terrain. Yesterday I did about 50 highway miles
Appreciate 2
TechCTU786.50
Paladin15613.00
      04-21-2022, 04:12 PM   #19
Stevekent
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I thought I'd start a thread where folks can post a like and dislike about the iX as they drive and learn about it.

For today:

Like: the adaptive braking. It seems to work extremely well slowing down the vehicle based of the traffic in front.

Dislike: this may be a user error, but using the digital key, it appears that you have to select a profile and enter the pin each time you start the vehicle. By default it goes to the guest profile. I've linked my profile to the digital key, but it seems to have no effect. I wonder if the reason is that a digital key may be shared among multiple users. That said it's really nice to be able to open the car with my iPhone or Apple Watch

**** Update ****

You have to link the digital with the profile by tapping the 'link key' under the BMW ID setting. I found it confusing because there was a green tick mark next to it making it seem like the key was already linked
Quote:

For today:

**** Update ****

I really don't like it
Appreciate 1
986+4.50
      04-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #20
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekent View Post
I really don't like it
"It?"
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 04:35 PM   #21
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Add to the list the non-functional (as far as I can tell), head-level, hard plastic passthrough on the front headrests. Much better with just a smooth integral rest - add a BMW logo if you want - but the hard plastic matches exactly the level of someone's head, at least some physical profiles (I'd guess about 5'2"), to make an uncomfortable headrest - which I assume was not BMW's goal, and easily avoided with just a more practical design. Or at least offer an aftermarket fitted cushion - the shmoo-shaped rests don't lend themselves to any current attachments or accessories.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:30 AM   #22
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Add to the list the non-functional (as far as I can tell), head-level, hard plastic passthrough on the front headrests. Much better with just a smooth integral rest - add a BMW logo if you want - but the hard plastic matches exactly the level of someone's head, at least some physical profiles (I'd guess about 5'2"), to make an uncomfortable headrest - which I assume was not BMW's goal, and easily avoided with just a more practical design. Or at least offer an aftermarket fitted cushion - the shmoo-shaped rests don't lend themselves to any current attachments or accessories.

Get a taller wife.
Appreciate 0