E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Super knocking help

04-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
GreyJuul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i sedan

Super knocking help

Hey, how's it going guys, yet again I have run into another problem with my 335i N54.

The problem I am experiencing is a Shadow (inactive) code 30F0- super knocking cylinder 4.

I am currently running DAW flow max plus turbos, FBO, 2-inch inlets and outlets, New elder coil packs, and new 2 steps colder spark plugs gapped to.018, I recently put new index 12 injectors, and recently put in a new HPFP, I also have a stage 2 LPFP from fuel-it with the Walbro 525 upgrade.

I am currently getting tuned by Doc Vu, on E40, the car drives normally, smooth idle, no smoke out of the exhaust,no knocking, nothing I am currently single 3.5 exhaust, no codes only at high RPM such as 5500-6k RPM then it start to flutter and it throws the 30F0, but not CEL, after it throws the code nothing happens to the car, it drives normal like it if didn't happen. I am not sure what is going on, this engine is driving me NUTS, I JUST CANT FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM. the car drives normal when cruising its just when it hits 5500-6k it sputters or flutters and throws the code like if its a false super knock even tho it is. the car is not on port injection, the car also has new vanos soleniods, all new vacccum lines, new vanos screens, re-sealed the whole engine. I replaced the injector seals also even tho the injectors have less than 3k miles from FCP euro. The code doesn't come up all the time, its every so often, some pulls will go good and some will throw the 30F0 code. PLEASE HELP ME GUYS, I literally have been trying to chase this down for 4 days, there is little information about this scenario, especially when most of all parts are new.

Last edited by GreyJuul; 04-07-2022 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #2
30FF_
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i 09 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJuul View Post
Hey, how's it going guys, yet again I have run into another problem with my 335i N54.

The problem I am experiencing is a Shadow (inactive) code 30F0- super knocking cylinder 4.

I am currently running DAW flow max plus turbos, FBO, 2-inch inlets and outlets, New elder coil packs, and new 2 steps colder spark plugs gapped to.018, I recently put new index 12 injectors, and recently put in a new HPFP, I also have a stage 2 LPFP from fuel-it with the Walbro 525 upgrade.

I am currently getting tuned by Doc Vu, on E40, the car drives normally, smooth idle, no smoke out of the exhaust,no knocking, nothing I am currently single 3.5 exhaust, no codes only at high RPM such as 5500-6k RPM then it start to flutter and it throws the 30F0, but not CEL, after it throws the code nothing happens to the car, it drives normal like it if didn't happen. I am not sure what is going on, this engine is driving me NUTS, I JUST CANT FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM. the car drives normal when cruising its just when it hits 5500-6k it sputters or flutters and throws the code like if its a false super knock even tho it is. the car is not on port injection, the car also has new vanos soleniods, all new vacccum lines, new vanos screens, re-sealed the whole engine. I replaced the injector seals also even tho the injectors have less than 3k miles from FCP euro. The code doesn't come up all the time, its every so often, some pulls will go good and some will throw the 30F0 code. PLEASE HELP ME GUYS, I literally have been trying to chase this down for 4 days, there is little information about this scenario, especially when most of all parts are new.
Maybe knock sensors
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #3
zomski101
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Well, if you are currently getting tuned, I would inform your tuner.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54530.00
      04-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
GreyJuul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30FF_ View Post
Maybe knock sensors
I’ll change them, never been replaced but, replaced the cylinder 4 injectors still did it again, getting with my tuner, maybe it might be the tune ?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Exactly what speed/gear/rpm did you go WOT before you got the Super knock?

Also was that 93oct + E85 mixed to make E40?

Have you contacted your tuner about it?

RSL Who is a lot more knowledgeable posted this way back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Stop doing that."

Super knock occurs in high load, low RPM situations on forced induction DI motors. There are multiple injection events to help avoid it, but it only reduces the chances, doesn't eliminate them. It can and will make a mess of cylinders/motors. Choose an appropriate speed for the gear, gear for the speed or change your turbos to something that spool slower.
High load at low rpm is recipe for disaster in Forced induction engines. My tuner has a permanent reminder on his email signature about it.
Appreciate 2
Dave92N54530.00
TiAgAu153.00
      04-10-2022, 05:49 PM   #6
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

From the DME standpoint, it's knock detected early in the crank angle, where there shouldn't really be any combustion (pre-ignition).

No idea what the tune looks like or how it's being driven, but the tuner should be made aware of it.

I've seen people report superknock at high RPM on N54, but I don't know if it's treally occurring there. If something is noticeably happening at 5500-6000rpm though, I would at least initially assume it's somehow related. If it's repeatedly on cyl 4, at least you know where to focus, along with anything that had changed immediately prior to it starting (tune/revision, plugs, etc.)
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54530.00