E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can 1 bad VANOS solenoid always throw a code on the intake side even if swapping them

04-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Can 1 bad VANOS solenoid always throw a code on the intake side even if swapping them

My car has been throwing 2A82 VANOS Intake code. Doesn't always come on but usually if I come of a light slowly then decide to accelerate more it does.

I've followed the BMW VANOS bulletin on troubleshooting this. I checked the oil cage but then they say to replace both vanos soldenoids if the cage is OK. I only replaced one since my code was on the intake.. do I really need to buy a exhaust solenoid? As mentioned in title, I even swapped them and the code remains on intake. Could one defective solenoid always cause a intake code even if swapping them?

I also did check the VANOS check valves as recommended on the forum which were pretty damn clean except for 1 little metal strand which I just disregarded as random metal debris from some time this engine has lived.

Just wanted to do 1 last confirmation here before I tear my top end apart and take out the camshafts and replace the intake bearing ledge. Has anyone went throug hthis personally with their car and found out it was indeed the bearing ledge? Most BMW techs seem to tell me this issue is rare and they don't think it's bearing ledge but I suspect it's because people avoid the dealer cost and high milleage cars have idies

EDIT UPDATE: I removed my camshaft ledges and was able to identify very deep grooving on my intake side and less, but still present grooving on exhaust side. FYI my exhaust side does not throw codes atm. This would confirm that swapping the VANOS solenoids was indeed a appropriate diagnostic method, if anyone finds this post in the future hope this helps.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 06-15-2022 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0