BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-10-2022, 10:55 PM   #1
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out the availability of Parking Assistance Pro.

I've looked at the US iX configurator and it shows Parking Assistance Plus not Pro as being available.

Can anyone shed more light on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIX View Post
Hello all, I'm trying to figure out the availability of Parking Assistance Pro.

I've looked at the US iX configurator and it shows Parking Assistance Plus not Pro as being available.

Can anyone shed more light on this?
My order (Canada) went in last week and included Parking Assistant Pro. In Canada it's an upgrade option within the Premium Enhanced package for $500. In that package, Parking Assistant Plus is standard. PA Pro is listed on my order sheet as well. I recall when I was doing my build back in January that there was a note about the Pro being available in March. At that time, my SA had to manually enter it to get me a quote in the system. Last week she didn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 10:36 PM   #3
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

What does PA Pro add comparison to PA Plus?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 10:46 PM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
According to BMW, this allows the iX to park itself over a longer distance. Basically, using GPS and trajectory data defined by steering movements, the system can store the last 200 meters covered and the movements of the steering wheel. When arriving again at the respective starting point, Parking Assistant Professional can then take over the complete driving task including accelerating, braking, steering and changing between forward and reverse gear. You'll then just be tasked with watching the surroundings of the car during the automated process.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/01/26/p...eature-bmw-ix/
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 06:12 AM   #5
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

Assuming this is just software, is it possible to retroactively purchase Pro as a software upgrade? Didn't have the option to select the Pro system when I submitted my order.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #6
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Is parking assistant pro good enough to park into a tight garage space? Or only between painted lines?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
Assuming this is just software, is it possible to retroactively purchase Pro as a software upgrade? Didn't have the option to select the Pro system when I submitted my order.
BMW Genius and various SAs are saying it can't be added, but I'm hopeful that BMW provides it as an OTA upgrade - possibly as a purchase from the connected store
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #8
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Coming from Tesla this is where I do not trust BMW. Traditional car brands are not known for adding features to the car after purchase even if it's just a software change that has already been coded for a subsequent model year. BMW will have to prove itself in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Coming from Tesla this is where I do not trust BMW. Traditional car brands are not known for adding features to the car after purchase even if it's just a software change that has already been coded for a subsequent model year. BMW will have to prove itself in this regard.
Or the good folks at Bimmercode can crack Idrive 8 and allow us to add it for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:23 AM   #10
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
Or the good folks at Bimmercode can crack Idrive 8 and allow us to add it for free.
Agreed, but one shouldn't have to rely on aftermarket hacking to receive features that are only being held back from prior generations for profit reasons. Legacy car makers like BMW need to adapt to a changing market that is being vastly redefined by companies like Tesla
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #11
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree. Audi hasn't done much here. They have made software range enhancements and that's about it, and you have to get them installed at the shop. Polestar has done quite a bit of OTA feature adding. Depends on the brand, need to see it happen.

Fortunately I'm content to buy the car for what it has on day one and anything else is just a bonus. I think my attitude might be different if I weren't leasing, but with a lease I'm fine to be on a static feature set for a few years and then jump to the next new thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #12
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Coming from iDrive 7, BMW has added several apps/features post delivery of the vehicle. OTA updates have been trouble free for me in the last year and a half. Also, OTA map updates happen frequent enough and always succeed.

I noticed a few features like M Laptimer, News App, Spotify and Alexa integration, all of which weren't available at delivery.
Appreciate 4
sor3113.50
NomoTesla2312.00
Paladin15610.00
      04-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #13
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Quote:
Coming from iDrive 7, BMW has added several apps/features post delivery of the vehicle. OTA updates have been trouble free for me in the last year and a half. Also, OTA map updates happen frequent enough and always succeed.

I noticed a few features like M Laptimer, News App, Spotify and Alexa integration, all of which weren't available at delivery.
Has anyone figured out if BMW provides 'release notes' with their updates and how to access them. I've noticed new features in my wife's X5 but they seem to silently show up.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #14
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:

That's good news, thanks! I'll keep the faith.
Appreciate 1
cruzer6661237.00
      04-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

To be fair, not without a few bricked cars and service visits, but yeah, gradual improvements in ID7 OTA releases by BMW over the past couple of years. On the downside, the OTA software is always at least N-1 for the current version, and happens unannounced and infrequently (maybe a couple of times a year), and in apparently random regions. Better for the map updates, which seem to occur almost quarterly, and so far have been seamless....
Appreciate 1
cruzer6661237.00
      04-23-2022, 02:21 PM   #16
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Has anyone figured out if BMW provides 'release notes' with their updates and how to access them. I've noticed new features in my wife's X5 but they seem to silently show up.
Two places I've seen the detailed release notes so far:
1) In the "MyBMW" app
2) directly in iDrive before and after doing the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
To be fair, not without a few bricked cars and service visits, but yeah, gradual improvements in ID7 OTA releases by BMW over the past couple of years. On the downside, the OTA software is always at least N-1 for the current version, and happens unannounced and infrequently (maybe a couple of times a year), and in apparently random regions. Better for the map updates, which seem to occur almost quarterly, and so far have been seamless....
Agreed on all points. I had two ID7 cars a 2020 M340 and now a 2021 X6, OTA updates were definitely clunkier on the M340, I never had a bricked ID7 though. On my X6 all updates have been successful and seamless every time.

Also agreed on not getting the latest software whenever it comes out, I'm not sure why that is. Maybe someone got an official explanation on that.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15610.00
      04-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #17
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Two places I've seen the detailed release notes so far:
1) In the "MyBMW" app
2) directly in iDrive before and after doing the update

Agreed on all points. I had two ID7 cars a 2020 M340 and now a 2021 X6, OTA updates were definitely clunkier on the M340, I never had a bricked ID7 though. On my X6 all updates have been successful and seamless every time.

Also agreed on not getting the latest software whenever it comes out, I'm not sure why that is. Maybe someone got an official explanation on that.
I heard from coders once that the "not current version" releases had something to do with verifying the success of the previous remote release (and hearing some horror stories I can agree with that). You can still get the most recent version through dealerships (if they're willing and able to do it). As far as release notes, they used to be available in the "Messages" section (little bell in the upper left corner of the My BMW app), but when I looked at mine they had all been cleared out, so I'm not sure how long they are retained in the app. I do know they show up there after an update and for some time after, but apparently not permanently.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 02:49 PM   #18
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I heard from coders once that the "not current version" releases had something to do with verifying the success of the previous remote release (and hearing some horror stories I can agree with that). You can still get the most recent version through dealerships (if they're willing and able to do it)..
I just got my ID7 upgraded to the latest version (03/2022.35) at the dealership. They've done it part of warranty work (HUD replacement). They won't do it for free part of warranty unless there's a problem with the current version running. It can be ANY small problem 🙂. Truth was, previous software had no issues that I could tell. So far, I've done 4 or so OTA updates on my X6 without issues.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15610.00
      04-26-2022, 09:37 AM   #19
Rshaw
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X

Quote:
BMW Genius and various SAs are saying it can't be added, but I'm hopeful that BMW provides it as an OTA upgrade - possibly as a purchase from the connected store
According to my SA it will be possible to buy Park assist pro from connected store starting this July. The requirement is that the car already have Park assist Plus. He didnt know the price though...
Appreciate 3
Paladin15610.00
venom21271.00
TheIX126.00
      04-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #20
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshaw View Post
According to my SA it will be possible to buy Park assist pro from connected store starting this July. The requirement is that the car already have Park assist Plus. He didnt know the price though...
Will be interesting if it's available in the US. but I'm not holding my breath based on previous BMW history....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #21
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshaw View Post
Quote:
In Canada I was able to include it in my July build for $500.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #22
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
In Canada I was able to include it in my July build for $500.
What more do you get with it? Not sure if I should add it because not sure I'll ever use it lol
Appreciate 0