BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

iX Cargo Space Discrepancy

European reviewers quote the space behind 2nd row at 500 liters and always point out how the X5 is larger at 650 liters. However, if you look at the specs listed by Car and Driver and almost every US media outlet covering this car, they list the space behind the 2nd row at 35.5 cuft (77.9 cuft w/ seats folded). That equates to just over 1,000 liters and 2,200 liters, respectively, or double what has been quoted in Europe. Why are these numbers so much higher, do they measure the space differently in the US?

Comparing the US cuft numbers between iX and X5 shows the iX is actually larger! X5 is 33.9 cuft behind 2nd row and 72.3 cuft w/ seats folded. How does one reconcile these differences?

Attached Images

Last edited by NomoTesla; 04-18-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
European reviewers quote the space behind 2nd row at 500 liters and always point out how the X5 is larger at 650 liters. However, if you look at the specs listed by Car and Driver and almost every US media outlet covering this car, they list the space behind the 2nd row at 35.5 cuft (77.9 cuft w/ seats folded). That equates to just over 1,000 liters and 2,200 liters, respectively, or double what has been quoted in Europe. Why are these numbers so much higher, do they measure the space differently in the US?

Comparing the US cuft numbers between iX and X5 shows the iX is actually larger! X5 is 33.9 cuft behind 2nd row and 72.3 cuft w/ seats folded. How does one reconcile these differences?

It could be the inclusion or exclusion of the underfloor volume. I've also seen some outlets quoting the volume below the parcel shelf whereas others appear to be measuring to the headliner.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #3
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I believe EU specs are taken at the parcel shelf, and US specs to the headliner. I could be wrong, but I believe countries like Germany do not allow people to pack above the parcel shelf as it blocks a clear view.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I believe EU specs are taken at the parcel shelf, and US specs to the headliner. I could be wrong, but I believe countries like Germany do not allow people to pack above the parcel shelf as it blocks a clear view.
iX cargo space is actually LARGER than the X5! Not a single reviewer anywhere has pointed out this difference in calculation, which is huge. All I read about is how the iX has less cargo space than the X5, 500 liter vs 650 liter. That's not true at all when you count space above the parcel shelf, an artificial and arbitrary limiter.

This is a big deal! Capacity up to the parcel shelf is a useless number. When loading up a car you will use the full vertical space available.

The iX actually has only 3% less space behind the 2nd row than a Tesla Model X, which makes them essentially the same in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #5
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
iX cargo space is actually LARGER than the X5! Not a single reviewer anywhere has pointed out this difference in calculation, which is huge. All I read about is how the iX has less cargo space than the X5, 500 liter vs 650 liter. That's not true at all when you count space above the parcel shelf, an artificial and arbitrary limiter.

This is a big deal! Capacity up to the parcel shelf is a useless number. When loading up a car you will use the full vertical space available.

The iX actually has only 3% less space behind the 2nd row than a Tesla Model X, which makes them essentially the same in that regard.
I compared the two because I was worried about this before getting a chance to see the iX in person.

I own a 2019 X5 and should be trading it in for an iX in September.
The X5 has more trunk room.

The X5 has the extra cutout(s? I forget if it has more than one) on the sides and has more height to the trunk. The underfloor storage in the iX is deep, but the X5 has decent space under the floor too and it is enough to fit the compact spare wheel/tire.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13729.00
GuyOh1067.00
      04-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Unfortunately have not seen Bjørn's Banana Box Test on the X5, but he does have a comparison with the iX and the Model X (6 and 5 seats), and the iX is larger by 2 and smaller by 3 (boxes), respectively, in the final chart. Probably as good a way as any to measure practical cargo capacity....

Last edited by Paladin1; 04-18-2022 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2378.00
      04-18-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

This makes me very happy!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #8
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

He is bananas. :-D
Appreciate 1
Paladin15643.00
      04-18-2022, 09:24 PM   #9
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Unfortunately have not seen Bjørn's Banana Box Test on the X5, but he does have a comparison with the iX and the Model X (6 and 5 seats), and the iX is larger by 2 and smaller by 3 (boxes), respectively, in the final chart. Probably as good a way as any to measure practical cargo capacity....

Quote:
This makes me very happy!
What matters more is the number of banana boxes with the seats up. Although it is nice to know how much cargo you can hold in a car with the rear seats down, and people do use that every now and again, that is not what most are using day to day. The iX fits 8. The model x 5 seater fits 10 and the 6 seater fits 9. Plus, the model X can fit another in the frunk.

With the seats down, the iX holds more than the 6 seater just because the first row of rear seats can't fold down flat the way a bench seat can.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15643.00
      04-18-2022, 10:14 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
What matters more is the number of banana boxes with the seats up. Although it is nice to know how much cargo you can hold in a car with the rear seats down, and people do use that every now and again, that is not what most are using day to day. The iX fits 8. The model x 5 seater fits 10 and the 6 seater fits 9. Plus, the model X can fit another in the frunk.

With the seats down, the iX holds more than the 6 seater just because the first row of rear seats can't fold down flat the way a bench seat can.
It's just a reference point, and depends on your individual needs. If you have kids, you probably routinely use the second row. We don't (at least, we do, but she's likely older than you and is busy managing our grandkids ), so total cargo capacity is useful information. Comparative information for room behind the second row is useful too, but just not as important to us. If I need more room, I'll drop a seat or two. People shop for the car that fits their requirements and budget, so the target markets for all of the above are somewhat different and it's good to have options.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2527.50
      05-07-2022, 09:18 AM   #11
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Is there a place to store the parcel shelf when it is in the way such as under the seats, floor, etc?

Consider this scenario, you go to Costco and buy too much stuff. (I know that never happens) and you need to fit stuff in there such as a new TV, office chair, etc. Did the smart folks at BMW think of a place to put that parcel shelf other than trying to tetris it in with the rest of the cargo?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 09:31 AM   #12
zephyr1108
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
Is there a place to store the parcel shelf when it is in the way such as under the seats, floor, etc?

Consider this scenario, you go to Costco and buy too much stuff. (I know that never happens) and you need to fit stuff in there such as a new TV, office chair, etc. Did the smart folks at BMW think of a place to put that parcel shelf other than trying to tetris it in with the rest of the cargo?

Thanks.
No from the reviews I've watched, they explicitly call out the fact that there is no dedicated storage space for the parcel shelf
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr1108 View Post
No from the reviews I've watched, they explicitly call out the fact that there is no dedicated storage space for the parcel shelf
And more's the pity, because there actually is storage space underneath the cargo floor forward of the rear under-floor opening for cable storage, that looks like it would more than accommodate at least the main parcel shelf if it was shaped correctly.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2527.50
      05-07-2022, 08:47 PM   #14
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr1108 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post

Thanks.
Fail.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:54 AM   #15
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

It almost feels like the various project teams did not properly communicate with each other. The parcel shelf could easily have been accommodated if the storage area under the trunk floor had been shaped just slightly differently. But to be fair, my Tesla Model S parcel shelf also didn't have anywhere to store it. The Model Y, by the way, only just now got a parcel shelf.
Appreciate 0