BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
TJay74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 Audi S4, 19 Corvette Z06

Can a X3M make the same power as a X3MC?

So recently we bought a as advertised 2020 X3M Competition. All of the documentation said it was a Competition, 2 different BMW dealerships confirmed it was a Competition per their system and even the BMW Genius said it is a Competition model.

Well just today after doing some in depth reading I have found out this is an error, a huge one as there was a goof up at the Spartanburg plant and BMW USA in listing every 2020 BMW X3M as a Competition. The issue affects the dealer systems and the title verification systems like Carfax.

With that I have zero desire to put Competition badges on the car. As of now I am missing all of the badges, the door sill plates, the black mirror caps and the Competition exhaust along with the extra 30hp the Competition comes with.

With that from what I read online the Competition exhaust is more free flowing over the base M and the ECU calibration was different allowing a extra 1.5psi of boost which gave the horsepower increase.

So knowing that now, when I tune the vehicle down the road will I be at the same gains as a true X3MC with just a tune? That is how it was in the Audi world with the Q5 and SQ5 that used the 3.0 supercharged engine. The main difference in those engines was the tune, once you tuned them aftermarket the were both on the same playing field.

is that the truth and the same for the X3M, with tuning will it meet and equal the performance that the true X3MC offers?

Thanks... Todd
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I asked a similar question a while ago on Dinan Engineering's FB page and they replied that with their tune, the X3 M and X3 MC both end up having the same power levels.
      04-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
So recently we bought a as advertised 2020 X3M Competition. All of the documentation said it was a Competition, 2 different BMW dealerships confirmed it was a Competition per their system and even the BMW Genius said it is a Competition model.

Well just today after doing some in depth reading I have found out this is an error, a huge one as there was a goof up at the Spartanburg plant and BMW USA in listing every 2020 BMW X3M as a Competition. The issue affects the dealer systems and the title verification systems like Carfax.

With that I have zero desire to put Competition badges on the car. As of now I am missing all of the badges, the door sill plates, the black mirror caps and the Competition exhaust along with the extra 30hp the Competition comes with.

With that from what I read online the Competition exhaust is more free flowing over the base M and the ECU calibration was different allowing a extra 1.5psi of boost which gave the horsepower increase.

So knowing that now, when I tune the vehicle down the road will I be at the same gains as a true X3MC with just a tune? That is how it was in the Audi world with the Q5 and SQ5 that used the 3.0 supercharged engine. The main difference in those engines was the tune, once you tuned them aftermarket the were both on the same playing field.

is that the truth and the same for the X3M, with tuning will it meet and equal the performance that the true X3MC offers?

Thanks... Todd
Wait a minute, i don't follow (sorry) any of what's said above.

Your sticker sheet says X3MC.

But after ~2 years passed and you are finding you have non-Comp hardware?

What is this?

I'm super curious now.

Has this made news at any place, eg. at the bmwblog.com site?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Wait a minute, i don't follow (sorry) any of what's said above.

Your sticker sheet says X3MC.

But after ~2 years passed and you are finding you have non-Comp hardware?

What is this?

I'm super curious now.

Has this made news at any place, eg. at the bmwblog.com site?
It's a known issue for 2020 MY where they accidentally have all Non-Comp and Comp models under Carfax and in their systems noted as "Competition", even though they're missing option codes 7MA and 7MN which are the prerequisite option codes for Competition.

Therefore the only way to actually tell if it's a Competition or not is looking at the option codes itself whether they have 7MA and 7MN. If they do, it's a Competition. If they don't, it's a Non-Competition.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
TJay74
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
It's a known issue for 2020 MY where they accidentally have all Non-Comp and Comp models under Carfax and in their systems noted as "Competition", even though they're missing option codes 7MA and 7MN which are the prerequisite option codes for Competition.

Therefore the only way to actually tell if it's a Competition or not is looking at the option codes itself whether they have 7MA and 7MN. If they do, it's a Competition. If they don't, it's a Non-Competition.

Correct, we just bought this vehicle within the last 6 weeks. I was specifically after a X3MC so when one popped up 3hrs from me I jumped on it. I did as much due diligence as I could even involving my local dealer to verify and validate it was indeed a X3MC.

For most orders it wont be an issue as a local dealer can pull the VIN and get the build sheet, where it got muddy was that since mine was a military service members order the dealer don have access to the options sheet for it. Based on the options it has on the vehicle it was presumed it was a X3MC since it has the upgraded seats and the Competition wheels as well. It was until the last couple of days I found the issue with the MY 20202 vehicles all being listed as a Competition model even though they were not.

At this point its a moot point, I cant do anything to challenge the issue. As long as I can get the same power the X3MC has I will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Correct, we just bought this vehicle within the last 6 weeks. I was specifically after a X3MC so when one popped up 3hrs from me I jumped on it. I did as much due diligence as I could even involving my local dealer to verify and validate it was indeed a X3MC.

For most orders it wont be an issue as a local dealer can pull the VIN and get the build sheet, where it got muddy was that since mine was a military service members order the dealer don have access to the options sheet for it. Based on the options it has on the vehicle it was presumed it was a X3MC since it has the upgraded seats and the Competition wheels as well. It was until the last couple of days I found the issue with the MY 20202 vehicles all being listed as a Competition model even though they were not.

At this point its a moot point, I cant do anything to challenge the issue. As long as I can get the same power the X3MC has I will be fine.
Hop over to the F97 forum.

Folks with stock turbo with tunes are making 700 rwhp, that's like, what ~800 crank HP.

No problem.

Now, on a sort of related notes, see how i feel when i bought my 2019 G01 M40i when there was no X3M variants, and i had no idea there was going to be one (poor research on my part for the roadmap). Then after short time later, POW, 2020 MY comes up with Gen 2 B58TU, ID7 and now F97. Friend you are at a much better place than me... Enjoy your S58 beast, for both of us!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
BimmerXdrive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Wow and if true should be a lawsuit for being sold as something that it's not. I aways use this website to get oem original window stickers for any car I buy. Well worth the $7.99
https://monroneylabels.com/#
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #8
TJay74
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerXdrive View Post
Wow and if true should be a lawsuit for being sold as something that it's not. I aways use this website to get oem original window stickers for any car I buy. Well worth the $7.99
https://monroneylabels.com/#
Wont be much room to sue, I bought the X3M used. Every Source I had access to said it was a X3MC, Carfax said it was a X3MC as well as the dealers systems.

It wasnt until someone point out my lack of black mirror covers, black exhaust tips and all of the missing Competition badges and door sill covers when it finally dawned on me to research more.

None of the VIN decoders work either, BMW made a change in 2019 that makes the VIN decoders obsolete.

Also that Monroney Labels website doesnt work on a 2020 BMW either.
Appreciate 0