BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-23-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Just signed up on my new lease for an iX 40 here in the UK. Managed to pick up a cancelled order which is 95% of the config I wanted. Dealer has confirmed that the status is Assembly Complete.

Questions:

Any other UK members who can confirm delivery lead time from this stage?

Any recommendations on charging point? I am currently considering Hypervolt.

Not willing to pay an extra £20k for the iX50 for a bigger battery! Any real range on iX40 that anyone can share? And Cold vs warmer weather

Should I be charging to capacity or just 80% - is it even configurable?

Do you recommend BMW ceramic coating?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 07:23 PM   #2
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Here's a decent article about coatings and sealants and bears. Oh my!

https://canadiangearhead.com/paint-p...ting-worth-it/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
TheIX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Just signed up on my new lease for an iX 40 here in the UK. Managed to pick up a cancelled order which is 95% of the config I wanted. Dealer has confirmed that the status is Assembly Complete.

Questions:

Not willing to pay an extra £20k for the iX50 for a bigger battery! Any real range on iX40 that anyone can share? And Cold vs warmer weather

Thanks in advance
I charge to 80% - recall something in the manual about it. It is a configurable setting
Appreciate 1
AshD101.50
      04-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

Questions:

Thanks in advance
I had Ceramic Pro applied to both our current X5s and it's great - with the caveats listed here and elsewhere. The chief advantage of ceramic coating IMO is the paint correction done prior to application - absolutely necessary, and it needs a professional detailer. Ceramic coating as noted is not maintenance-free, but if you like a nice looking car and don't wax weekly, it works as advertised and is definitely lower maintenance than repeated waxing. It's not PPF, and it won't protect you car from dents and dings. Disadvantages are it does require at least annual professional maintenance, and once applied, normal wax (generally) shouldn't be applied over it - you can't go back without stripping the car.
Appreciate 1
AshD101.50
      04-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #5
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

The spray-on ceramic coatings that you can use after a car wash are just as good in terms of the look. Not sure I buy all the nonsense being espoused by detailers regarding quartz so they can charge thousands. I wash my car, spray it with ceramic, buff and it looks like liquid amazing. Available at your local auto parts place!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 11:04 PM   #6
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
It is configurable, charging recommendations are simple:
1) Do not charge over 80% unless you need the full range
2) Minimize DC charging IF possible
3) Do not store car plugged in.

Manual reference:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AshD101.50
      04-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Lots of online info (good and bad) and most are product promotions, but an example of different products reasonably objective (again ignoring promos)....

Appreciate 1
TechCTU802.50
      04-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And as far as off-the-shelf, commercial products (ceramic and otherwise), they're cheap and they'll make your car shiny. And they're (mostly) easy to apply (with the caveat that ceramic and graphene products must be applied to bare paint - you can't wax first, and likely your delivered car has wax on it that must be removed). They are not, however, the equivalent of a (properly done) professional detailer finish. Your BMW (I can guarantee) has multiple paint flaws, right out of the booth. Maybe a lot, even if just from transporting. So does almost every other mass produced commercial car. Rolls and maybe Bentley - and the few bespoke ultra models like Bugatti - have paint correction done before you get the car. And the dealer ensures it is correct, before you get it. But not BMW. Or Porsche, or MB, or Audi, or any other "high end" manufacturer.

If you want a flawless paint finish, it needs a professional detailer to correct it. Involving polishing, clay bars and hours or days of hand finishing. Hence the cost. There's nothing to say you can't do this yourself, if you have the experience and equipment. But if you do or have done this, you'll understand the cost. And I wouldn't recommend your first attempt on a $100k brand new BMW. Which goes to the issue, if you do have a dealer apply ceramic coating to your car, they need to have a good detailer on the hook, and not Bubba's Body Shop, and once a coating is applied over a bad finish, it's there. So if you're not confident of your dealership, you might want to shop around for a reliable detailer for your ceramic coating (if you choose to have one), and it might even be less than from a dealer. Or if finishing cost is an issue (you did pay 100 bones for the car), just wash and wax it regularly (and have PPF appled, which you should do anyway) and it will look good. Not perfect, but good. Nothing wrong with that either.

Last edited by Paladin1; 04-25-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
AshD101.50
      04-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
And as far as off-the-shelf, commercial products (ceramic and otherwise), they're cheap and they'll make your car shiny. And they're (mostly) easy to apply (with the caveat that ceramic and graphene products must be applied to bare paint - you can't wax first, and likely your delivered car has wax on it that must be removed). They are not, however, the equivalent of a (properly done) professional detailer finish. Your BMW (I can guarantee) has multiple paint flaws, right out of the booth. Maybe a lot, even if just from transporting. So does almost every other mass produced commercial car. Rolls and maybe Bentley - and the few dozen bespoke ultra models like Bugatti - have paint correction done before you get the car. And the dealer ensures it is correct, before you get it. But not BMW. Or Porsche, or MB, or Audi, or any other "high end" manufacturer.

If you want a flawless paint finish, it needs a professional detailer to correct it. Involving polishing, clay bars and hours or days of hand finishing. Hence the cost. There's nothing to say you can't do this yourself, if you have the experience and equipment. But if you do or have done this, you'll understand the cost. And I wouldn't recommend your first attempt on a $100k brand new BMW. Which goes to the issue, if you do have a dealer apply ceramic coating to your car, they need to have a good detailer on the hook, and not Bubba's Body Shop, and once a coating is applied over a bad finish, it's there. So if you're not confident of your dealership, you might want to shop around for a reliable detailer for your ceramic coating (if you choose to have one), and it might even be less than from a dealer. Or if finishing cost is an issue (you did pay 100 bones for the car), just wash and wax it regularly (and have PPF appled, which you should do anyway) and it will look good. Not perfect, but good. Nothing wrong with that either.
Thank you - great advice! I think I'll be going down professional route on this one.
Appreciate 0