Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin G20 330i Tie rod replacement after hitting pothole

04-26-2022, 02:00 AM   #1
minakoto00
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive Luxury Line

Garage List
330i pothole damage

Hi,

I've recently hit a pothole (Welcome to New England!) and I didn't notice anything until I was driving down the high way back home: There were some vibrations that produced under the chassis which was quite noticeable and I could feel it through my butt & steering wheel.

I sent my car to the dealership (BMW of Sudbury) for checking and they told me apart from my 4 wheels which are all bent (I only hit the pothole on the passenger side), my passenger side tie rod is slightly bent so they recommended replacing both left and right side inner and outer tie rods and quoted me $1500 for it (not including fixing bent wheels). I did some search and found out the left & right assembly on a 330i would only cost about a little over $300 so I'm not sure if the labor cost would made up the rest $1100 and I'm skeptical about it thinking that might be a rip-off.

Does anyone have any similar experience and is this a rip-off? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

It's probably something they don't come across often and it would take a lot of time to fix, or they are ripping you off because it's the dealer service center. Try getting price quotes from others and compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
minakoto00
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive Luxury Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICG20M View Post
It's probably something they don't come across often and it would take a lot of time to fix, or they are ripping you off because it's the dealer service center. Try getting price quotes from others and compare.
Thank you for your advice. I've asked a local shop about it and they doubt it would cost that much. I've decided to go with the local shop and I'll post updates here once I have em.
Appreciate 0