BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
sungja6911
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2023 Genesis G70

2022 x4 m40i Anyone has rattle with trunk or rear seats?

Mine is only 1800 miles brand new vehicle.
But when I'm driving the car, I hear rattle from rear side.
I think some of SUV makes trunk rattle but I'm not sure it is coming from trunk or somewhere else.

I'm having so many quality issue with my brand new vehicle.

1. Front bumper did not flushed from factory, so dealer adjusted it.

2. Rear windshield spoiler paint not flushed, so dealer order new spoiler and I'm waiting for it.

3. Front bumper air duct came without plastic part, so dealer ordered duct part and installed. (at the dealership i was just asking to service adviser that my bumper has a gap between duct and front bumper, so they checked it is missing part)

4. Plastic Rattle from passenger rear seat when I'm making a slightly uphill turn (i think this is plastic rattle, but dealer couldn't find where it is coming from, they always like "I do not hear anything." )

I'm kinda disappointing to BMW, this is my 3rd bmw but never had this type of issues before but now I bought more than $75K vehicle but it came with lots of issues.

Going back to main topic, anyone having rattle from trunk or rear side?
That noise is really weird for me to drive it. because I want to smooth drive when i'm commute work and home.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
1. Rattle from passenger side seat is (I can guarantee you) the seat belt. Anytime you hear that rattle, look over... I promise it's the seat belt that needs to be "twisted" back so it's not hitting the pillar.

2. You keep using the word "Flushed".... on the rear spoiler, you used it with reference to the paint.... I'm not understanding what you mean...?

3. Yes, I have the/a rattle from "somewhere" back around the decklid... don't hear it all the time, but I do hear it from time to time. Same thing with the moon-roof. Fortunately/unfortunately, I listen to quite a bit of music... pretty much all the time I'm in the car. Hence, I don't hear all of the rattles too often over the music. Keep googling "BMW X4 Rear decklid rattle" and eventually you'll find people with the same issue that have tried many different things to alleviate it. Most likely, a little felt strip here or there... you just have to find where it's coming from.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 09:00 PM   #3
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

The rear seat rattled from somewhere on my 2018 M40i; never did figure out exactly what it was. Fix was to fold the seat down then firmly slam it back upright. Would be a while until it came back. There was also a noise coming from the dome light area that required a fist bump from time to time. My 2021 M40i doesn't have any issues with squeaks and rattles.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
M Z
M40ier
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i Carbon Black

Garage List
I have a 2022 X3 M40i and I have the same exact issue. Unfortunately I'm thinking of selling the car and leaving the BMW brand because the dealer couldn't fix it.
      05-04-2022, 02:14 PM   #5
misterdom
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i AW/TacRed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Z View Post
I have a 2022 X3 M40i and I have the same exact issue. Unfortunately I'm thinking of selling the car and leaving the BMW brand because the dealer couldn't fix it.
It won't take long to sell that's for sure.
      05-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had a rear seat "rattle" for a long time that I could not figure out for a long time. Eventually found that it was caused by the trunk retractable cover being in the retracted position, it always made a rattle noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #7
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant View Post
I had a rear seat "rattle" for a long time that I could not figure out for a long time. Eventually found that it was caused by the trunk retractable cover being in the retracted position, it always made a rattle noise.
Mine didn’t rattle, but that was the first thing I took off and stored under the trunk bin. No rattles with it stored there either.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #8
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Does this noise occur more when it is cold outside? Is there any chance your noise is coming from the front right (passenger side)? I have a thunking noise which I'm 100% confident is the 8 pound washer tank (with a full gallon of fluid) bouncing up and down and hitting the frame since it's not securely held over the front right wheel. If I sit in the passenger seat, the noise sounds like the back left or back middle. From the driver's seat, it sounds like front right.

I'm contemplating trying to wrap the washer tank in "felt" or something in the next week or two, but I'm afraid I won't be able to put everything back together properly :-). The dealer has been unable to fix it in 6 trips (well, 3 on my current X3 and 3 on my last X3 with the same issue).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:22 PM   #9
M Z
M40ier
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i Carbon Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeharri View Post
Quote:
Does this noise occur more when it is cold outside? Is there any chance your noise is coming from the front right (passenger side)? I have a thunking noise which I'm 100% confident is the 8 pound washer tank (with a full gallon of fluid) bouncing up and down and hitting the frame since it's not securely held over the front right wheel. If I sit in the passenger seat, the noise sounds like the back left or back middle. From the driver's seat, it sounds like front right.

I'm contemplating trying to wrap the washer tank in "felt" or something in the next week or two, but I'm afraid I won't be able to put everything back together properly :-). The dealer has been unable to fix it in 6 trips (well, 3 on my current X3 and 3 on my last X3 with the same issue).
I honestly haven't noticed if it comes when it's colder, I feel like it always happens.
No, it's not from the front right, it's more from the rear/trunk area.