BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Stealth hitch stuck

Hey all Stealth Hitch owners! My hitch attachment seems to be stuck. Anyone had this issue?

The lock mechanism and spring release seems to work as expected and I can get a little wiggle from the hitch but it won't detach. So far I've bashed it all directions with a soft mallet and sprayed it with WD40 to no avail. Next step is gonna be torch heat I guess unless any other suggestions?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Hey all Stealth Hitch owners! My hitch attachment seems to be stuck. Anyone had this issue?

The lock mechanism and spring release seems to work as expected and I can get a little wiggle from the hitch but it won't detach. So far I've bashed it all directions with a soft mallet and sprayed it with WD40 to no avail. Next step is gonna be torch heat I guess unless any other suggestions?

TIA!
Quote:

TIA!
Call Stealth Hitch and ask for Steve the CEO, he will help you. They are a great company!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
Quote:

TIA!
Quote:

TIA!
Call Stealth Hitch and ask for Steve the CEO, he will help you. They are a great company!
I agree. They have great customer service.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #4
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Have you disconnected the trailer?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:31 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Hmm, if it wiggle then it should come out.
Have you unlock the latch and unlatch it?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Well I use it twice weekly for transporting mountain bikes so have left it in for the last 3 months probably. Previously it has removed no problem and I've kept it in for weeks at a time. Many months over winter was a mistake though and going back through the instructions it says to remove it after every use and the apply grease every time it is attached. Good lord does everyone do that?

Anyway, the reason I need to remove it is I am selling the vehicle to dealer. The hitch attachment is seriously locked in and since I don't care about if it functions any more, I unbolted the mechanism entirely. haha
Appreciate 1
piokor06104.50
      06-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
piokor06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Competition

Quote:
Well I use it twice weekly for transporting mountain bikes so have left it in for the last 3 months probably. Previously it has removed no problem and I've kept it in for weeks at a time. Many months over winter was a mistake though and going back through the instructions it says to remove it after every use and the apply grease every time it is attached. Good lord does everyone do that?

Anyway, the reason I need to remove it is I am selling the vehicle to dealer. The hitch attachment is seriously locked in and since I don't care about if it functions any more, I unbolted the mechanism entirely. haha
Good to know that you're supposed to remove it every use, sorry you had to learn the hard way. I just had mine installed so I'll make sure to remember to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by piokor06 View Post
Quote:

Good to know that you're supposed to remove it every use, sorry you had to learn the hard way. I just had mine installed so I'll make sure to remember to remove it.
That's the whole point of the stealth look so you don't see anything when you are not using it. If you are going to be leaving something attached showing you may as well get a curt or drawtite at a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
That's the whole point of the stealth look so you don't see anything when you are not using it. If you are going to be leaving something attached showing you may as well get a curt or drawtite at a fraction of the price.
Yeah I thought I would detach it more but ended up using it so frequently that I just left it, but I did want the option to have OEM look.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #10
JBoston
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi (N55)

Hi Transfer Curious if/how you were able to remove the hitch? I'm having the same issue
Appreciate 0