BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
jsclarke99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX XDrive50, e-Tron (prev)

While you're waiting- how to charge fast at home (US)

In case any of you waiting may be wondering about how to get the fastest home EVSE (sometimes mistakenly called a "charger")-- I installed a 240 VAC 60 amp breaker and hard-wired a Chargepoint flex in our garage, which has given me 11 kW charging reliably. I think that's the fastest level 2 (AC) charge an iX 50 will take.

The BMW-supplied one paired with a NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker will charge at 9 kW, which is good too.

Best video I've seen explaining all this is here
Attached Images

2017 MB E300, 2014 BMW 640i convertible
Appreciate 1
Paladin15643.00
      06-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Tom's channel has excellent analytical reviews of most of the current home "chargers" as well....
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
Buju
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW330, iX next

I was just researching this earlier today too.
Chargepoint seems like the way to go for max speed, but you need a hardwired install to pull more than 40 amps. That is the limit of nema 14-50 receptacle.

https://www.evchargerreviews.net/bes...er-for-bmw-ix/
I'm not sure if these lists are helpful, seems like any J1772 wallbox with adequate amps will do the job
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
jsclarke99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Originally used plug, then hard-wired

Yeah I originally bought the ChargePoint Flex to schedule charge *start time* (which my e-tron didn't do) and I used a 14-50 plug.

Turns out, if using any cord, you are not allowed to draw more than 80% of the circuit rating (80% * 50A = 40A). Replacing that small cord with hard wired wire of sufficient gauge, and replacing the circuit breaker allowed me to setup the ChargePoint again using hard-wire/60A breaker settings, which got me 11 kW.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

The best charger to install is a Tesla HPWC (high powered wall charger). You can link them together and set them to match your AMP rating. Example - if you have 3 cars charging it will load balance each so as to not trip your breaker.

I have 3x Telsa HPWCs connected to a 100amp circuit. On my test drive the iX pulled 11KW.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcalc View Post
The best charger to install is a Tesla HPWC (high powered wall charger). You can link them together and set them to match your AMP rating. Example - if you have 3 cars charging it will load balance each so as to not trip your breaker.

I have 3x Telsa HPWCs connected to a 100amp circuit. On my test drive the iX pulled 11KW.
I would just say avoid the gen 3s, stick to the gen 2. I have had two gen 3 units for about two years now and I'm a bit disappointed, thinking about replacing them with the ChargePoints.

Maybe things have changed but there are tons of reports on the forums about gen 3 overheating/throttling during charge. I think there's a hardware revision that has fixed that recently, revision "g" or something. My car will pull 11kw for about 20 minutes and then the unit flashes red and continues charging at 5kw. The second unit only charges a PHEV that is only capable of 3.6kw so I'm not sure if it does the same.

It also took about 18 months for them to release load sharing feature which sort of killed a lot of confidence/enthusiasm, a feature promised at release.

Functionality wise the main difference between gen 2 and 3 is WiFi, and gen 2 requires you hard wire a communication cable between the wall connectors to do the load sharing.

Also, there are no smart features on the Tesla wall connectors, even though the gen 3 has WiFi it's mostly just used for firmware updates. They build it all into the car, so it's not very friendly/consistent as you switch vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsclarke99 View Post
In case any of you waiting may be wondering about how to get the fastest home EVSE (sometimes mistakenly called a "charger")-- I installed a 240 VAC 60 amp breaker and hard-wired a Chargepoint flex in our garage, which has given me 11 kW charging reliably. I think that's the fastest level 2 (AC) charge an iX 50 will take.

The BMW-supplied one paired with a NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker will charge at 9 kW, which is good too.

Best video I've seen explaining all this is here
I installed this in my garage hardwired to charge the iX, works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
ChargePoint also and a beta tester for the software. Main hiccup right now is no option to select any iX as your personal vehicle in the app. Fix TBD....
Appreciate 1
TechCTU802.50
      06-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #9
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
ChargePoint also and a beta tester for the software. Main hiccup right now is no option to select any iX as your personal vehicle in the app. Fix TBD....
ChargePoint told me to pick any vehicle and once I connect to the iX it will communicate with the car and set the right profile.

I asked them to add the iX as well.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15643.00
      06-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
jsclarke99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Do any of you guys know why the chargepoint app needs to know the vehicle? Is it just show it can show miles added given kWh used in a charge?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 01:26 PM   #11
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have gen3 tesla wall charger, I guess will just buy an adapter and use that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #12
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do any of you guys know why the chargepoint app needs to know the vehicle? Is it just show it can show miles added given kWh used in a charge?
It actually doesn't, but is convenient in filtering stations that only work for your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
No of course not, you just need the Charepoint app the configure the charger and monitor the cost and charge rate. I get 11kw consistently. Here's mine hanging on the wall.

The app doesn't have the iX yet, so i just didn't put any car in my profile.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 04:39 PM   #14
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I would just say avoid the gen 3s, stick to the gen 2. I have had two gen 3 units for about two years now and I'm a bit disappointed, thinking about replacing them with the ChargePoints.

Maybe things have changed but there are tons of reports on the forums about gen 3 overheating/throttling during charge. I think there's a hardware revision that has fixed that recently, revision "g" or something. My car will pull 11kw for about 20 minutes and then the unit flashes red and continues charging at 5kw. The second unit only charges a PHEV that is only capable of 3.6kw so I'm not sure if it does the same.

It also took about 18 months for them to release load sharing feature which sort of killed a lot of confidence/enthusiasm, a feature promised at release.

Functionality wise the main difference between gen 2 and 3 is WiFi, and gen 2 requires you hard wire a communication cable between the wall connectors to do the load sharing.

Also, there are no smart features on the Tesla wall connectors, even though the gen 3 has WiFi it's mostly just used for firmware updates. They build it all into the car, so it's not very friendly/consistent as you switch vehicles.
Can’t comment on gen 3. I have gen2s hardwired (the ones that are black with grey panel). I was actually thinking of swapping them with gen 3s but won’t do that after your post.

Have had them for many years without issue. Not sure about the smart features either - I let the car plan when to charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #15
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcalc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

Can't comment on gen 3. I have gen2s hardwired (the ones that are black with grey panel). I was actually thinking of swapping them with gen 3s but won't do that after your post.

Have had them for many years without issue. Not sure about the smart features either - I let the car plan when to charge.
Yeah to be fair the current hardware may be great now, I can only speak for the units they were shipping awhile back.

The Gen 3 load sharing is a bit different though now, they recommend a breaker for each unit rather than just connecting them all to the same breaker, but you can still limit all units to a site peak. Not quite as useful in terms of just installing one run vs dedicated runs, but still helps you avoid tripping the main.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:26 PM   #16
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Newb EV questions for everyone. What are the advantages of a hardwired system other than a slightly higher charge rate?

Same question on purchasing a smart charger like the ChargePoint vs just a standard cable? All of the metrics can be set through the vehicle and the vehicle app correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #17
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Newb EV questions for everyone. What are the advantages of a hardwired system other than a slightly higher charge rate?

Same question on purchasing a smart charger like the ChargePoint vs just a standard cable? All of the metrics can be set through the vehicle and the vehicle app correct?
There's no one right answer here, but doing it through the charging connector allows you to have a consistent experience across vehicles, whether you have multiple electric cars or a different one later. Some cars don't have the same features as far as scheduling, or they implement it differently. My wife's EV requires me to go unplug it if I don't want to charge at a certain time.

As far as hard wire vs plug in, higher current and cleaner install are the top reasons. Also it is said those large 14-50 receptacles are generally only rated for a limited plug/unplug cycles before the contacts wear out, but that's probably not an issue if you're not changing chargers often. I wouldn't whip out a portable charger and plug in daily though.
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1752.50
      06-10-2022, 11:03 PM   #18
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

A smart wallbox lets you monitor charging remotely (which you can do to a more limited extent in the My BMW app), and many will let you monitor costs and track long-term usage, and integrate with your utility company. They can be set to throttle charging based on off-peak hours if you have that, and some utilities provide a rebate with some wallboxes. The supplied cable also gets fairly warm with prolonged usage, which may or may not shorten its life.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #19
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Good info, thanks.

FYI I tried to buy an iX or an i4M50, but no dice so I picked up a Mercedes EQS. The app is pretty advanced with geolocation, multiple schedules, ability to limit charge rate, etc. so that is where my question came from.

Still may pick up an iX at some point when they are more readily available.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:23 PM   #20
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Good info, thanks.

FYI I tried to buy an iX or an i4M50, but no dice so I picked up a Mercedes EQS. The app is pretty advanced with geolocation, multiple schedules, ability to limit charge rate, etc. so that is where my question came from.

Still may pick up an iX at some point when they are more readily available.
Charge limits and rate can be set in the MyBMW app as well...
      06-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #21
inkarnit
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW IX xDrive50

So for those of us with just one electric car (the IX) and a fixed rate plan with their power company, the supplied BMW adapter with a NEMA 14-50 in a 240V outlet will give us about 9kW charging with no added expenses, yes?

I was going to ask the same as Salespunk above. I just don't see the need for me with the above conditions to need to spend the extra money on a wall mounted charging solution just to get an extra 2kW of charging.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #22
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

With those connectors, the likelihood it causing some damage with frequent unplugging is greater, especially if that is your portable charger that you unplug and toss in the car frequently vs. one that is permanently mounted in your garage. Also, check with your power company, rebates for EVSE's might cover 90+% of the cost.
Appreciate 0