F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Any golfers on here?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #1
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Any golfers on here?

I'm playing in a charity day this Thursday for the Make a Wish foundation. One of my colleagues has a very ill little girl who sadly isn't going to live a long life so he's arranged what will hopefully be a good day at Knebworth Golf Club.

My question is golf related though. I've not played for a good 5 years. Never been a member of a club or had a handicap, just used to enjoy the odd social round now and then or a good corporate day before they got banned as assumed incentives. I've had a few groups of lessons here and there over the years so can get myself around a course but, like many who don't play regularly, I'm inconsistent at best.

The day will be a Stableford competition for individual and team scores so I need to put down a handicap for the day.

In my mind I was sure the max handicap used to be 28? Having had a quick Google I'm reading that this was changed in 2020 and the max handicap is now 54. That seems incredibly generous! If I played off a 54 handicap on Thursday I'd be in danger of winning the thing and being called a bandit I fear!

So, any golfers on here know what I should be playing off as a handicap for the sake of this day?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

when did you last play a round (as opposed to play around ) and what score above par did you manage? I'd randomly say 36 as the highest normal adult handicap last time I looked a good few years ago....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #3
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
when did you last play a round (as opposed to play around ) and what score above par did you manage? I'd randomly say 36 as the highest normal adult handicap last time I looked a good few years ago....
The wrong side of 5 years ago and I think I broke 100 for the first time so around 99. After 5 years though literally anything could happen out there!

36 would seem about right in fairness. 2 extra on each hole.

I've heard there's a good range over at Redbourn now with Trackman screens at every bay etc. Might try and get over there tomorrow so I've at least blown off some cobwebs.

Already sweating over those first tee nerves...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 03:14 PM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
The wrong side of 5 years ago and I think I broke 100 for the first time so around 99. After 5 years though literally anything could happen out there!

I've heard there's a good range over at Redbourn now with Trackman screens at every bay etc. Might try and get over there tomorrow so I've at least blown off some cobwebs.

Already sweating over those first tee nerves...
Son in law and grandsons go over to that one. And 5 year old grandson hit his tee shot 100 yards to the green on the par three pitch and putt thing at Bovingdon way...... no pressure then Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #5
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Yes go with that, also easier to work out on the card. If they argue its too high put down 28 and just enjoy the day whatever.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:36 AM   #6
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

I've not played there in ages but from what I remember it's a fairly open easy course, not much water or places to go out of bounds or lose the ball. You might just end up playing on the wrong fairway a bit. 28 should be fine for that course.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:41 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
I've not played there in ages but from what I remember it's a fairly open easy course, not much water or places to go out of bounds or lose the ball. You might just end up playing on the wrong fairway a bit. 28 should be fine for that course.
I reckon I can go out of bounds from a putt on the green, never judge by your own standards!
Appreciate 1
Nibbles863.50
      06-14-2022, 03:45 AM   #8
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
I reckon I can go out of bounds from a putt on the green, never judge by your own standards!
I'm not great either and haven't played for about 3 years. Even then when I could smash a ball 300 yards it would rarely be where I was aiming at. I've spent many a round hacking along the wrong fairway on open courses like Knebworth.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18850.50
      06-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #9
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Son in law and grandsons go over to that one. And 5 year old grandson hit his tee shot 100 yards to the green on the par three pitch and putt thing at Bovingdon way...... no pressure then Dan
That's not helping Ian!!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18850.50
      06-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Yes go with that, also easier to work out on the card. If they argue its too high put down 28 and just enjoy the day whatever.
Yup I think that's the way. 36 or 28 it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Good to hear. And contradicts others who've said take plenty of balls as it's a tough one! Popped down the range this morning and was slicing the driver for fun so wide fairways are a must!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Well I'm pleased to report that yesterday really couldn't have gone much better... I played the best round of golf of my life! Despite the nerves and the sweltering heat!

They put me on a handicap of 28 and I ended up scoring 44 points on the individual stableford. Which apparently was excellent! No blobs at all and I only bogeyed 3 holes. Rest were birdies or pars, even had an eagle in there!

Though despite it being the joint highest score on the day (out of over 70 people!) I ended up being the runner up after a count back. Whatever that means!

My group came 3rd in the team stableford score too with 89 points. We only had 3 in our group though where the others had 4 so were at a slight disadvantage.

I even finished the round with the same ball I started with which has never happened before! And some of the shots I hit were still being spoken about on the terrace with a few beers long after we'd all finished! Naturally I was also being called a bandit but truly I'm not. Was just one of those days!

Lovely course and was in great condition. May just get the bug to get out there more often this summer.
Appreciate 1
gr4z1138.00
      06-19-2022, 08:23 AM   #13
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Quote:
Well I'm pleased to report that yesterday really couldn't have gone much better... I played the best round of golf of my life! Despite the nerves and the sweltering heat!

They put me on a handicap of 28 and I ended up scoring 44 points on the individual stableford. Which apparently was excellent! No blobs at all and I only bogeyed 3 holes. Rest were birdies or pars, even had an eagle in there!

Though despite it being the joint highest score on the day (out of over 70 people!) I ended up being the runner up after a count back. Whatever that means!

My group came 3rd in the team stableford score too with 89 points. We only had 3 in our group though where the others had 4 so were at a slight disadvantage.

I even finished the round with the same ball I started with which has never happened before! And some of the shots I hit were still being spoken about on the terrace with a few beers long after we'd all finished! Naturally I was also being called a bandit but truly I'm not. Was just one of those days!

Lovely course and was in great condition. May just get the bug to get out there more often this summer.
44 points is a great score. At our club you would officially be referred to as a 'bandit' 🤣
      06-19-2022, 01:05 PM   #14
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:

The main reason I pulled out of a couple of Societies I was a member of, too many dodgy handicaps.......... impossible to compete in those environments off of 9

I assume your Pars, Birdies and Eagle were Net scores otherwise you would have scored substantailly more than 44 points.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #15
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
44 points is a great score. At our club you would officially be referred to as a 'bandit' 🤣
Ha thanks! Funnily enough they all want me in their team next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
The main reason I pulled out of a couple of Societies I was a member of, too many dodgy handicaps.......... impossible to compete in those environments off of 9

I assume your Pars, Birdies and Eagle were Net scores otherwise you would have scored substantailly more than 44 points.
Absolutely net scores... if they'd been gross then I'd have been the bandit of all bandits!

Truth is it was my first round of golf for 5 years and I've never played regularly or held a handicap. I had some lessons around 15 years ago so know the basics. Watched some good YouTube videos and a client of mine lent me his log in to watch some Hank Haney videos about fixing your slice on a golf tutorial site he pays for. Lots of practice swings in the garden the night before to try and get some muscle memory going on and that was it.

Was just one of those days. I hit a bunker shot that ended up inches from the hole, a chip shot on the 17th that did the same to save par. Every single drive landed in play so set me up well for each hole, putting was steady. It'll probably never happen to me again and the next time I go out there I'll be slicing and shanking for fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

Retired and only playing off 9? You need to try harder, SIL plays off 7 with a full time job, 2 kids and not actually belonging to a physical golf club any more...
Appreciate 0