bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #1
thanatosbruce000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

WiFi Hotspot

I think I may have deduced the answer to this question already but is it true to say that it is not possible to activate an internet capable WiFi hotspot in the G42 (In the US at least)?
I found the following instructions but they do not appear applicable as my car does not have the "Internet Connection WiFi Required" checkbox that is shown in this document, only the "Bluetooth" and "WiFi" checkboxes.
https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...iFiHotspot.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I believe the wifi hotspot was not an option on our cars due to a supply issue. someone correct me if I'm wrong tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
allfitat55
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Aus models dont get Hotspot but uses Wifi to connect to Android Auto
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:50 PM   #4
thanatosbruce000
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just noticed that the BMW PDF references option 6WD being required to use the hotspot, this option is not listed on my build sheet.

I guess I am a little surprised. The car seems to have all of the necessary hardware components. It has a WiFi radio used by CarPlay/AA and which I can see and connect to with my phone separate from CarPlay (just no Internet connectivity). The car must also have some sort of cellular connectivity used by the Connected Drive functionality (including Spotify music) yet no option for an Internet connected WiFi hotspot.

Oh well. I suppose these days something like this is a pretty low priority use case since everyone has cell phones with personal hotspots.

I just wanted to connect a WiFi enabled radar detector and WiFi tablet running Highway Radar to a car hosted WiFi. Attaching them to my iPhone hotspot is "problematic" due to iOS always wanting to turn off hotspot and needing to reconnect every time I get in the car.

Will need to rethink plans.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #5
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatosbruce000 View Post
I just wanted to connect a WiFi enabled radar detector and WiFi tablet running Highway Radar to a car hosted WiFi. Attaching them to my iPhone hotspot is "problematic" due to iOS always wanting to turn off hotspot and needing to reconnect every time I get in the car.

Will need to rethink plans.
even tho this is kinda off-topic, but can you elaborate on the wifi radar detector/highway radar part? is it similar to Waze for the detector and highway radar?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 03:26 AM   #6
viewlessfrog
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

My bmw app detects the wifi hotspot in my car but being overseas with a US spec car I can't activate any of that. With that said from what I understood while doing some reading is the car takes your phones data to create a wifi hotspot.
Appreciate 0