F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Eibach Springs - Options for Shocks?
proTUNING Freaks

06-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Shady67
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 440i Gran Coupe

Eibach Springs - Options for Shocks?

Hi guys. I have a 2019 440i GC xDrive currently lowered on Eibach 06-22 springs and F80 bump stops. While the drive is much better than stock, it still sits a tad too high for my taste. The car has 2VL and 2VF, based off a VIN search. I'm not too familiar with the terms, and while I've looked, I'm having trouble understanding exactly what's needed on my end to make this work.

I'm fairly certain it has EDC, as it does stiffen when switching between Comfort and Sport mode. I'm the primary driver of the car, but my wife does drive it sometimes. I don't track the car at all, so my primary concern would be street comfort.

Are there any known combinations that would work well with the 06-22 springs? I'd like to say cost isn't a concern, but something reasonable would be nice. Much appreciated for any assistance. I've posted a photo below to give an idea of how it currently sits.

Last edited by Shady67; 06-21-2022 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Your car most likely has what in the US is Track Handling Package with M Adaptive Suspension (aka EDC), Variable Steering, and blue M Sport Brakes.

There are typically 3 paths to upgrade shocks on the vehicle with M Adaptive suspension:

1. Install shocks which use OEM M Adaptive controls, such as Bilstein B4 or B6 Damptronic. More expensive.

2. Install coilovers which use OEM M Adaptive controls, such as Bilstein B16 Damptronic. Also expensive.

3. Install springs + shocks or coilovers which do not use OEM M Adaptive controls. Many more choices at different price points. EDC Delete kit or coding out EDC functionality would be required.

Any thoughts which option you prefer?

PS. I personally like the current suspension height and stance. Anything lower would decrease comfort.
Appreciate 1
Shady6747.00
      06-22-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Shady67
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Your car most likely has what in the US is Track Handling Package with M Adaptive Suspension (aka EDC), Variable Steering, and blue M Sport Brakes.

There are typically 3 paths to upgrade shocks on the vehicle with M Adaptive suspension:

1. Install shocks which use OEM M Adaptive controls, such as Bilstein B4 or B6 Damptronic. More expensive.

2. Install coilovers which use OEM M Adaptive controls, such as Bilstein B16 Damptronic. Also expensive.

3. Install springs + shocks or coilovers which do not use OEM M Adaptive controls. Many more choices at different price points. EDC Delete kit or coding out EDC functionality would be required.

Any thoughts which option you prefer?

PS. I personally like the current suspension height and stance. Anything lower would decrease comfort.
You couldn't have made this post any clearer, thanks a lot cfm56d7b! I'm torn on what to do now.

I love the comfort with the current setup, and while I'm usually pretty satisfied with the current height, a 1-finger gap would be perfect IMO.

I've looked into the B6s and they seem to be much stiffer than stock. The B4s would be ideal, but if going lower will sacrifice comfort, I may just stick with the current suspension. I get the feeling that the car's missing the last piece of the puzzle without upgrading the shocks though, but that might just be the mod bug. Today it's suspension, tomorrow it's lip/skirts, etc.

Really appreciate the way you laid out the options and answered every question/concern I had. I think the next step is to get the wife into her own vehicle (she's really fighting this option), at which point I'll revisit this.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5948.50
      06-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

do you know the part number for F80 bump stop? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #5
Shady67
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
do you know the part number for F80 bump stop? Thanks.
Yep! Here are the part numbers:

31-33-6-859-768
31-33-7-847-662
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #6
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

thanks, but sorry, i have another question. does this come in a pair (2 per part number) so that means i just buy 1 part for each part number?

Or i need to buy 2 parts for each part number?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #7
Shady67
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
thanks, but sorry, i have another question. does this come in a pair (2 per part number) so that means i just buy 1 part for each part number?

Or i need to buy 2 parts for each part number?

Thanks.
They would be individual parts, so you would need 2 of each. One is for the front (31-33-6-859-768) and the other is for the rear (31-33-7-847-662).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady67 View Post
You couldn't have made this post any clearer, thanks a lot cfm56d7b! I'm torn on what to do now.

I love the comfort with the current setup, and while I'm usually pretty satisfied with the current height, a 1-finger gap would be perfect IMO.

I've looked into the B6s and they seem to be much stiffer than stock. The B4s would be ideal, but if going lower will sacrifice comfort, I may just stick with the current suspension. I get the feeling that the car's missing the last piece of the puzzle without upgrading the shocks though, but that might just be the mod bug. Today it's suspension, tomorrow it's lip/skirts, etc.

Really appreciate the way you laid out the options and answered every question/concern I had. I think the next step is to get the wife into her own vehicle (she's really fighting this option), at which point I'll revisit this.
Glad to help!

B6 shocks are indeed stiffer.

Comfort is a function of mainly three things: suspension travel (more is better), compression / rebound cycle (hopefully individually adjustable at a greater cost), and how springs and shocks work together. The keyword is _together_.

Shock absorbers and springs should be matched by design, i.e meet specific handling characteristics. While springs absorb the energy generated from encounters with the road imperfections, acceleration, braking, and cornering, the shocks work together with the springs to maintain proper suspension geometry and grip.

Coilovers provide both shocks and springs within a specific design envelope.

It's possible to achieve a more comfortable ride with lowered suspension - with comfort being a very subjective measure). KW V3 coilovers offer individually adjustable compression and rebound control. More compliant (quicker to react to imperfections) compression followed by a quicker rebound will reduce the bounce - within a range that some drivers will find comfortable and others will not.

KW V3 coilovers do offer more and cost more: north of $3K with installation and 4 wheel alignment.

Your current suspension might be the optimum "do nothing" option.
Appreciate 1
Shady6747.00
      06-22-2022, 08:57 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

if you want the ride height lower, you have to get lower springs, or coilover.

on x-drives the lower you go up front puts more stress on the front axles. the consensus seems to be 35-40mm max front lowering for x-drive. a few have gone lower without issue but others have broken axles or unseated them from the differential.

if you think your front gap is too big, consider the swapping the 6-22 for 5-22. the front will be 15mm lower but rear will be the same because it's the same rear springs in both kits. 5-22 front lowering will still be in the "safe" range for x-drive.

Although Eibach is designed to work with stock dampers, some state their ride being a little bouncy with stock dampers while others are fine with it. consider Dinan Shockware for the EDC dampers if you want them stiffer to match the stiffer spring rate. it will be firmer but still comfortable in comfort or eco setting.
Appreciate 1
Shady6747.00
      06-23-2022, 03:54 PM   #10
Shady67
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
if you want the ride height lower, you have to get lower springs, or coilover.

on x-drives the lower you go up front puts more stress on the front axles. the consensus seems to be 35-40mm max front lowering for x-drive. a few have gone lower without issue but others have broken axles or unseated them from the differential.

if you think your front gap is too big, consider the swapping the 6-22 for 5-22. the front will be 15mm lower but rear will be the same because it's the same rear springs in both kits. 5-22 front lowering will still be in the "safe" range for x-drive.

Although Eibach is designed to work with stock dampers, some state their ride being a little bouncy with stock dampers while others are fine with it. consider Dinan Shockware for the EDC dampers if you want them stiffer to match the stiffer spring rate. it will be firmer but still comfortable in comfort or eco setting.
I just checked and I actually have the 05-22 (EU version). I had the 06-22s and changed them within a few months as the front sat way too high for my liking. I also had my brother drive my car yesterday while I drove his car, and I have to say the height is growing on me. It's not as bad as I thought it was. I think the fact that it's very soft/floaty makes me feel like it's still stock and high off the ground, even after the stiffer springs. I've just placed an order for Dinan Shockware (4-6 weeks backorder unfortunately), hopefully that should fill the void. Thanks for the assistance alohasurftoad, a lot of your posts have helped me when figuring out what to do next.
Appreciate 1