home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-24-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Brake caliper/pad rattle question

So I had a mechanic put on a set of Carbotech 1521s and all four rattle when I hit a bump. Rears rattle more. Mechanic says brakes not cut correctly. Carbotech says bad install. I took a wheel off and rear caliper is loose. Here is a video of the rattle (you have to turn the sound up). Rattles when I move the caliper front to back (but not up and down). Any experts have thoughts as to what is causing this? The clips appear to be in and everything to me seems tight.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rYkSUbMZv14
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
So I had a mechanic put on a set of Carbotech 1521s and all four rattle when I hit a bump. Rears rattle more. Mechanic says brakes not cut correctly. Carbotech says bad install. I took a wheel off and rear caliper is loose. Here is a video of the rattle (you have to turn the sound up). Rattles when I move the caliper front to back (but not up and down). Any experts have thoughts as to what is causing this? The clips appear to be in and everything to me seems tight.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rYkSUbMZv14
I had the same issue with the fronts. They are not cut to correct size. I reached out to carbotech and after a little persistence they agreed it was a bad batch. I was sent replacements.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
I had the same issue with the fronts. They are not cut to correct size. I reached out to carbotech and after a little persistence they agreed it was a bad batch. I was sent replacements.
Hey there - I think we chatted on another thread. So Carbotech sent me another set of fronts (though they said that my first set was from a good batch). However, they are refusing to send me a set of rears. They say that they never had a problem with the rears.

I don't feel comfortable taking the rears off on my own so seeing if I can diagnose the issue without paying my mechanic to swap multiple sets of pads. I still have the OEMs so I suppose I could put them back on and see if they rattle.
Appreciate 0