BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
MeddlingKids
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e

Used '20 X3M or New X5?

Hi all! I am debating between two very different vehicles partly due to odd circumstances in the market right now. I am looking for a replacement car for my eTron and had initially thought I'd get an X5. We have two young kids who are in front facing convertible car seats (one will move to a booster soon) so I assumed the extra space could come in handy. I don't find that I'm using all of the rear cargo space these days since the kids have not been in strollers for a long time.

A couple dealers here in the area have sub 15k mile 2020 X3M (one is a non-comp and the other is a Competition) for sale that have captured my interest. Planning to go to a dealer today that has one of them to drive it and the x40i X5. I really enjoy driving and have found the last couple years of eTron ownership to be...unsatisfying. Looking to have something that's still fun to drive / engaging, but can still handle kid school drop off and pickup. Wouldn't use this car for long family trips.

Could the X3M fit the bill? Two other considerations are what would hold value better - a nearly 3 year old X3M (dealer is still asking ~$66K for it now) or a brand new X5 with a 5% discount at purchase? I assume the latter will drop like a rock. Final consideration is how much it would cost to maintain the X3M given the CPO warranty would only take me one year out.

Apologies for the lengthy post but curious to get some additional perspectives as I think through the decision. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2134.00
      07-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

My opinion is that you should drive both and not worry about the financial aspect at all and I am a penny-pinching accountant. X3M prices are starting to come down a bit, and the ones on the west coast seem to be priced very well. That said, it's also really great to see that you were offered a 5% discount off msrp...it's been a while since I have seen that.

M is rarer and should hold value a bit better than a non-m, however at this price level, don't let it influence your decision. Pick the car you enjoy driving most and then negotiate the best deal possible on that specific car or similar cars with the same options in your area.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50
      07-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Jbh165nc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I have two kids and an X3M. Works great for “smaller” trips. If we are going on a longer driving vacation (e.g. beach for a week), we have to take the wife’s XC90.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #4
MeddlingKids
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e

We had an XC90 for the last few years and loved it. My wife is driving a Model Y these days, so we wouldn't have a larger SUV if I go with the used X3M. That said, I think our kids are still a few years away from having a ton of stuff to haul around in the back (sports, etc.) where we'd need all that extra cargo.

Last edited by MeddlingKids; 07-12-2022 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C, 2020 Tesla Y LR

I would NOT go w a 2 year old M car. Granted these are SAVs and maybe tend to get beat on less than say an M3 or an M5 (I've owned both previously and now in my X3MC - well, my right foot is still pretty heavy).

As far as seating space, the X3M is "ok". Trunk space flat out sucks for an SUV. My wife's LR Model Y has way more storage space.

I'd definitely go w a new X5 in your shoes.
2023 M5C (MBB, Tartufo, CCB, MPE, splitter, skirts, diffuser and pro spoiler), 2022 X3MC (gone), 2022 M5C (gone, not forgotten), 2020 992S (gone), 2018 M3C (should have never let it be gone), 2015 550i (gone), 2013 550i M-Sport (gone), 2010 Panamera (good riddance) (this list is getting entirely too long).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 01:18 PM   #6
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

So funny...I've gone through this exact same debate. 2 years ago I had an M4 and needed something with more room to accommodate kids, and debated between these 2 models. Ended up getting an X5 x40i, drove it since, and I'm going to trade it in at the end of this week for an X3M (via PCD at the end of the month, woohoo!).

Rear seat space is nearly identical in both cars, and therefore car seats will take up the same amount of room. I've tried our car seats in both vehicles and confirmed this to be the case; they're within an inch of each other. The only thing you really sacrifice by going to the smaller X3M is less cargo space, maybe an inch or 2 here and there in the interior (negligible in my opinion).

The X5 is super nice, but I missed the power and engine roar of the M, hence why I am going back.

Specs for compare:
https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x3-m/specs

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x5/specs
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

We have both of the vehicles you are considering and can only say they are very different in many ways. I think it comes down to the quality of roads in your area, how much family hauling you need to do, and if the comfort is acceptable. Compared to an X3M there is nothing exciting about driving the X5. That said the X5 is a great vehicle for the intended purpose and much better for long trips.

Another thing to consider is pre-LCI X3Ms have been hit pretty hard for poor ride quality- the LCI is plenty firm so test drive down some bad roads and see if it works for you.
Appreciate 0