BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Need opinions on Brooklyn Grey vs Alpine White

So I've been waiting for more people to get deliveries before I posted this question for my (waiting on allocation) M3 G80.

Just to get a background on me, I've owned several M3's and M2 but all have been in black and I was lucky back then to have 2 indoor spots. Now that I have moved to a house with only 1 indoor spot (991.2 gets that one) I don't want to order black again since I'll be parking outside.

I was going to go with Alpine white since I really like the clean look and how it hides a lot of cosmetic swirls and dirt however I also like BG from what I've seen on the road. My bigger question is will I regret BG since I park outside (not used as a winter car)? Swirls? Water marks??

Any comments from either BG or AW owners would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Only benefit is the fact that AW is flat per say an probably easier to paint match.

Go with whatever color you like, coat it, wrap it or just keep up on paint maintenance and it will look good.

AW owner here
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #3
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
So I've been waiting for more people to get deliveries before I posted this question for my (waiting on allocation) M3 G80.

Just to get a background on me, I've owned several M3's and M2 but all have been in black and I was lucky back then to have 2 indoor spots. Now that I have moved to a house with only 1 indoor spot (991.2 gets that one) I don't want to order black again since I'll be parking outside.

I was going to go with Alpine white since I really like the clean look and how it hides a lot of cosmetic swirls and dirt however I also like BG from what I've seen on the road. My bigger question is will I regret BG since I park outside (not used as a winter car)? Swirls? Water marks??

Any comments from either BG or AW owners would be appreciated.
I ordered Alpine White because I live in Florida and its hot down here. I also like the contrast between the white and black exterior pieces.

I sold my Porsche 997.2 911 GTS cabriolet with a manual transmission (an albatross in the car world) about 6 months ago because I found it boring to drive on roads that are not full of twisters. Very boring compared to the car I sold to get the Porsche, a manual transmission Corvette ZO6. The Porsche just doesn't have the thrill factor in the power department. I actually felt I made a mistake buying the car about a week after taking it home. Plus, the dealer was one of the worst I ever dealt with, and just a notch above the Range Rover dealer I used, but not by much! (Range Rover owners know what I'm talking about). I'm looking forward to getting my 2023 M4 Competition xDrive Coupe to get some driving excitement in my life again!
      07-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
I considered AW because i just love white cars. My tesla is white, my C7Z is white. I wanted another white car. The white on the M3's don't look good, idk why. Maybe it's "TOO" white. I saw a frozen white and that looks much better. Previous gen M cars look amazing in white. The G8x does not, IMHO. That's why i didn't get it.

It was a no brainer for me to choose BG after the fact. Because i'm also a big fan of gray. Nardo gray, destroyer gray, caulk, etc. Given the opportunity to do it all over, i would probably still choose BG. However if i didn't, i would choose something outrageous and loud and go with an individual color like mexico blue or something along those lines.

My M3 is parked outside all day everyday with no car cover, no underground parking for it etc. It's exposed to the elements all day. Had the car about 8 months now, i don't see swirl marks to my eye. And i just hand wash it and wax about once a month.
Appreciate 2
Habber3524.00
      07-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
I've owned both colors (aw on my f32) . Alpine white is, of course, a classic BMW color, but, imo, it's a little sedate for the design of the g8x. I found it didn't hide dirt extremely well, especially in the winter - I have some pics around of the rear just caked in filth after a week without washing.

While bg is subtle, it imparts a lot more character than the aw, as I see it.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competion RWD

I ordered AW and then switched to BG a week later. I'm happy with it, but it wasn't an easy decision. I too like the contrast with white and black
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
Predatar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82X

Brooklyn grey is the far superior color - but as anything taste is subjective.
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #8
disancke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32; 2023 G82 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
I considered AW because i just love white cars. My tesla is white, my C7Z is white. I wanted another white car. The white on the M3's don't look good, idk why. Maybe it's "TOO" white. I saw a frozen white and that looks much better. Previous gen M cars look amazing in white. The G8x does not, IMHO. That's why i didn't get it.

It was a no brainer for me to choose BG after the fact. Because i'm also a big fan of gray. Nardo gray, destroyer gray, caulk, etc. Given the opportunity to do it all over, i would probably still choose BG. However if i didn't, i would choose something outrageous and loud and go with an individual color like mexico blue or something along those lines.

My M3 is parked outside all day everyday with no car cover, no underground parking for it etc. It's exposed to the elements all day. Had the car about 8 months now, i don't see swirl marks to my eye. And i just hand wash it and wax about once a month.
Besides wax did you do ppf/coating? Am waiting for my BG G82 and appreciate your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 08:40 PM   #9
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by disancke View Post
Besides wax did you do ppf/coating? Am waiting for my BG G82 and appreciate your input.
Negative to both. It's a lease.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 09:01 PM   #10
M3GALLY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2020 MDX, 2003 c320

Brooklyn grey and all the colors like it are not my fancy and feel like a fad. Every x3 on the road also is now BG.

If I were to do it all over instead of BSM I'd prob go IOMG or twilight
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #11
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post

I'm going nuts just by leaving my BG M3 out tonight vs the garage. 1 night lol. I took the top and all of my doors off my rubicon so that's in the garage along with my wife's car and our golf cart. So no more room. . Couldn't imagine it being out all day every day.
      07-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #12
Garrison
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 xDrive Comp

I was going to go Chalk, or Nardo… and ended up with Alpine White. I absolutely love it and it is a very classic color that you will have no problems with if you ever decide to sell, imo.

Of course, now after 6 months of having the car I sometimes wish I went with Grey Black because damn that is an amazing color.

Either choice looks great on this car. Good luck with your choice!
Appreciate 3
Habber3524.00
      07-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #13
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Got BG w/ Shadowline on my M440i GC. I have gotten so many compliments on the car in the first few weeks of ownership. It's a great color.
Appreciate 2
Habber3524.00
      07-14-2022, 10:11 PM   #14
Smugmugg
Rep
Drives: 2022 AW M3 6MT

AW owner. Learned my lesson a long time ago, I need a color that's low maintenance and forgiving. I always garage park and hand wash but anything other than white is more upkeep than I care for.
Appreciate 1
Habber3524.00
      07-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #15
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Saw BG the first time on an X3, looks amazing on my wife's X3M40i.

BG is a great color, I just feel like EVERYONE has BG these days (at least that's the majority of what I have seen in person).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:54 AM   #16
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Everyone has their own opinion, but for me AW doesn't work on the M3. What maybe sounds odd is the M4 does. I would go with BG... but whichever you choose, please don't go with a black interior (IMO of course)
Appreciate 2
FrankieNuo1292.50
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
      07-15-2022, 05:20 AM   #17
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroricardo View Post
Everyone has their own opinion, but for me AW doesn't work on the M3. What maybe sounds odd is the M4 does. I would go with BG... but whichever you choose, please don't go with a black interior (IMO of course)
It's looking like a BG with Yas interior so far. I really wanted the carbon seats but 2023 price is just hard for me to justify ($5500 Canadian).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 05:34 AM   #18
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
I'm going nuts just by leaving my BG M3 out tonight vs the garage. 1 night lol. I took the top and all of my doors off my rubicon so that's in the garage along with my wife's car and our golf cart. So no more room. . Couldn't imagine it being out all day every day.
I pamper my vettes more. My c7z is the lucky one to get a car cover lmao. But that car is mine all paid for. The m3 is a lease and usually my lease cars I care less. I still “care” for it like washes and watching where I park etc. but In terms of usage my leased cars get actually used, or abused I should say lol
Appreciate 1
Flying051307.00
      07-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #19
mlover789
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IG: m3npae - M3C G80

Had a aw F80 and it is a classic color.. Yes there's a lot of bg bmws these days but there's more aw bmws as well..

I loved bg so much I got it again. It's grey and hint. Of blue. I love it. It pops to my liking and it isn't loud but it is at the same time.

White is too boring for a car like the g8x
Appreciate 1
Habber3524.00
      07-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #20
top-down
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 MT, 22 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
It's too bad Mineral White Metallic isn't available as standard on the M3, our X5 is MWM and it looks fantastic. Has some depth compared to flat colors and also hides any water marks I miss when I wash it.

I've seen BG in person and I believe the trend of flat grey colors will age like fine milk. They remind me of primer or the slurry you use when you throw clay. Just ugly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:24 AM   #21
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

I had an AW 335i and it's a great color. I actually think AW looks fantastic on the M3/4, and I would have ordered it again, but I've just had too many white cars. I now have a BG M3 and it's fantastic as well….similar thoughts to the others who have praised it. To your question about which is easier to maintain….I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised how easy BG is to keep clean. I think it hides dirt well, but in fairness, I do have ceramic coating. But I think it's probably one of the easiest "metallic" colors to keep looking clean.
Appreciate 2
Habber3524.00
      07-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #22
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

I also have a light putty grey like color on my VW SUV, and after 2 years, I have long grown tired of the color. Fortunately, it's a lease that's up next year. I went with AW for my M4 coupe.