BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Enhanced key detection: Imporved driver profile recognition

Where do they get these people that think this is an "Enhancement"? This only makes sense if there is only one key for every vehicle.

This so called "Enhancement" has created a nightmare for me every time my wife opens the passenger side door and hops in the passenger seat. As she sits in the passenger seat the steering wheel, driver's seat and mirrors are being set to her profile.

Once this process is started there's only two ways to make it change back to my profile. I have to either reach over and change the profile on the iDrive screen or close all the doors and lock the car. Then I can touch the handle and it will set the profile back to mine.

OH... WAIT... Maybe it's a new self driving feature where we can virtually drive from the front passenger seat even though there's no steering wheel or pedals on the passenger side. I guess we just go through the motions and it will respond to our motions from the passenger seat.

What a lovely new "Caring Car" feature. I'm sure all of us out there that have a significant other are just thrilled with this new "Enhancement". Especially when your significant other has their key fob in their possession and they touch a door handle before you do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Where do they get these people that think this is an "Enhancement"? This only makes sense if there is only one key for every vehicle.

This so called "Enhancement" has created a nightmare for me every time my wife opens the passenger side door and hops in the passenger seat. As she sits in the passenger seat the steering wheel, driver's seat and mirrors are being set to her profile.

Once this process is started there's only two ways to make it change back to my profile. I have to either reach over and change the profile on the iDrive screen or close all the doors and lock the car. Then I can touch the handle and it will set the profile back to mine.

OH... WAIT... Maybe it's a new self driving feature where we can virtually drive from the front passenger seat even though there's no steering wheel or pedals on the passenger side. I guess we just go through the motions and it will respond to our motions from the passenger seat.

What a lovely new "Caring Car" feature. I'm sure all of us out there that have a significant other are just thrilled with this new "Enhancement". Especially when your significant other has their key fob in their possession and they touch a door handle before you do.
I agree this was a stupid enhancement. I actually came on the forum today looking for a fix because all day this feature aggravated the hell out of me having to constantly change the profile because my wife got to the car before me. Wondering if there is a way to code it.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
I didn't even know this was a change. I would have thought this is how the keys work anyway.

I don't want to be that guy, but it does seem like there's an easy fix… leave the other key at home?
Appreciate 2
rulppa0.00
Chas8283354.50
      07-23-2022, 11:27 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
we like to bring both key fobs during long trips in case one gets lost, stolen or breaks. we leave the non-driver's fob in the cargo area. issue avoided.
Appreciate 1
wufpak212.50
      07-24-2022, 05:04 PM   #5
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I don't understand the rationale in changing it. It was fine the way it was.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Maybe BMW thinks that the only people who drive their vehicles are women. Most women put their purses on the passenger seat or in the back seat. So, in their minds, it probably makes perfect sense.

Maybe it was a female engineer that thought this would be very convenient for all the women drivers out there who are loading their children in the car seats before getting in the driver's seat and driving off.

Either way I consider this to be another BMW FAIL!!! Whomever made this change must be living under a rock.
Appreciate 1
X54TH902.00
      07-27-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

For those with a bit of chivalry left, how does this work if a man with his gob in his pocket, opens the passenger door for his wife, who has her fob in her purse. She gets in, he closes the door, then walks around to the driver's door and gets in. Whose profile is loaded?

Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
For those with a bit of chivalry left, how does this work if a man with his gob in his pocket, opens the passenger door for his wife, who has her fob in her purse. She gets in, he closes the door, then walks around to the driver's door and gets in. Whose profile is loaded?

Mark
His profile is loaded. The first person to touch the door handle gets that person's key fob profile loaded.

The only way to change to a different profile is to either switch the profile from the iDrive screen or close and lock all the doors then touch the driver's/passenger's door handle and it will switch to that persons/key fob profile.

Another BMW FAIL!!! Man oh man do they have some dumb people working for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 06:26 AM   #9
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
His profile is loaded. The first person to touch the door handle gets that person's key fob profile loaded.

The only way to change to a different profile is to either switch the profile from the iDrive screen or close and lock all the doors then touch the driver's/passenger's door handle and it will switch to that persons/key fob profile.

Another BMW FAIL!!! Man oh man do they have some dumb people working for BMW.
So the solution, then, is chivalry.

I can live that.

Mark
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4751.00
      07-29-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
we like to bring both key fobs during long trips in case one gets lost, stolen or breaks. we leave the non-driver's fob in the cargo area. issue avoided.
No digital key/wallet card?
      07-29-2022, 03:10 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
i have the iPhone Digital Key and digital key card as well, but they're limited in function compared to the key fobs, so i don't use those on a regular basis
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #12
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe BMW thinks that the only people who drive their vehicles are women. Most women put their purses on the passenger seat or in the back seat. So, in their minds, it probably makes perfect sense.

Maybe it was a female engineer that thought this would be very convenient for all the women drivers out there who are loading their children in the car seats before getting in the driver's seat and driving off.

Either way I consider this to be another BMW FAIL!!! Whomever made this change must be living under a rock.
I agree, it was fine before they changed it. I just don't understand why they needed to change it. I think it's a software mistake at the time of the upgrade and they are probably not aware.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:40 PM   #13
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree, it was fine before they changed it. I just don't understand why they needed to change it. I think it's a software mistake at the time of the upgrade and they are probably not aware.
No, they are clearly aware what they did. Read my post. The picture I posted is from the "My BMW App" on my Android phone. They list the exact issue we are discussing here as a "Key Detection Enhancement".
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 09:35 PM   #14
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
No, they are clearly aware what they did. Read my post. The picture I posted is from the "My BMW App" on my Android phone. They list the exact issue we are discussing here as a "Key Detection Enhancement".
It's an idiotic enhancement.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 01:48 AM   #15
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5, 2020 X5 & 2021 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Yip that is my solution as well Wife carries the FOB me the card
Appreciate 1