BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2022, 04:25 PM   #1
talisman2208
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Thinking about picking up this BMW, looking for some pros and cons

Here's the listing

I test drove it and mostly liked it, I couldn't tell if I liked the 2023 X5's better at this price point so I am kind of torn. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 05:34 AM   #2
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

This is my personal thoughts but you have to decide on which hat to wear.

Ive had the latest X5 and now in the X3 but GO1 model.
The tech in the X5 annoyed me, too complicated, much prefer the X3's although the LC1 model will be the same as the X5's i guess. I also MUCH prefer the size of the X3.
X5 is huge inside compared to the Cayenne, i just dont know why BMW can find so much storage space and Porsche cant
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

I’ve never driven a ‘21 X3MC but it’s pretty much universally agreed upon that BMW sprung this SAV way too firm. Your obviously not tracking this thing or you wouldn’t be cross shopping a X5 so my guess is you just really want the M and all the prestige that goes with it which actually I totally get and can appreciate. Only you know what your needs are but personally I wouldn’t want a X3 that rattled my teeth every time I hopped in it. The X3MC your looking at is a great spec though but $73K is a lot of money for any used X3. I’d struggle with that versus buying a new ‘23 X3 M40i or X5 Msport 40i. I’ll be anxious to hear your final decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
I’ve never driven a ‘21 X3MC but it’s pretty much universally agreed upon that BMW sprung this SAV way too firm. Your obviously not tracking this thing or you wouldn’t be cross shopping a X5 so my guess is you just really want the M and all the prestige that goes with it which actually I totally get and can appreciate. Only you know what your needs are but personally I wouldn’t want a X3 that rattled my teeth every time I hopped in it. The X3MC your looking at is a great spec though but $73K is a lot of money for any used X3. I’d struggle with that versus buying a new ‘23 X3 M40i or X5 Msport 40i. I’ll be anxious to hear your final decision.
Along these lines, I just think the M motor is not a good fit for these SUVs (X3 & X4). I drove one at a BMW event and it just seemed to overpower the chassis. It reminded me of when I took a Yamaha MT-10 for a test ride. It was just too much power for the frame.

Everything I've read is the M40 is the best match in the X3.

YMMV
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

You are in the wrong forum section asking for opinions on a X3MC. Most people here who have cross-shopped it will tell you to go for a M40i.

I'm not sure how people who haven't test driven one extensively or owned one can give you a good opinion on the car. It's great.

First you have to decide if you really want a true M or not. The ride between the b58 and s58 variants are completely different and they serve two very different purposes.

Both are great platforms. The ride of the X3MC is firm, but smooth, with precise steering and a firm ride. X3 40i is smoother, has more body roll and less precise steering feel, but still a great car and a awesome engine. X3MC being jarring or teeth rattling? Not even close.

All that said, the car you linked is nice, but priced a bit high imo. If it were BMW CPO, it would be a bit more in line...maybe.

You want to ensure the 1,200 mile break in service was done properly, which by looking at the carfax, it appears to be the case. 2021 is going to be more difficult to tune and the car is likely due for tires and an oil change. Don't insist that the current dealer do the oil change unless you are comfortable they will use an OEM filter and oil spec'd for the s58.

X5M is a much different car. X5 is a completely different car and will feel like a boat in comparison to a go-kart.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
You are in the wrong forum section asking for opinions on a X3MC. Most people here who have cross-shopped it will tell you to go for a M40i.

I'm not sure how people who haven't test driven one extensively or owned one can give you a good opinion on the car. It's great.

First you have to decide if you really want a true M or not. The ride between the b58 and s58 variants are completely different and they serve two very different purposes.

Both are great platforms. The ride of the X3MC is firm, but smooth, with precise steering and a firm ride. X3 40i is smoother, has more body roll and less precise steering feel, but still a great car and a awesome engine. X3MC being jarring or teeth rattling? Not even close.

All that said, the car you linked is nice, but priced a bit high imo. If it were BMW CPO, it would be a bit more in line...maybe.

You want to ensure the 1,200 mile break in service was done properly, which by looking at the carfax, it appears to be the case. 2021 is going to be more difficult to tune and the car is likely due for tires and an oil change. Don't insist that the current dealer do the oil change unless you are comfortable they will use an OEM filter and oil spec'd for the s58.

X5M is a much different car. X5 is a completely different car and will feel like a boat in comparison to a go-kart.
Head on over to the Macan forum and try to to suggest to the dozens of former X3MC owners that the suspension on the X3MC is comfortable and they’ll laugh you off the site. Granted, depending on your roads and use you many not care if the suspension feels like your running a Fred Flinstone mobile

Last edited by Jen4BMW; 08-16-2022 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 06:58 PM   #7
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Head on over to the Macan forum and try to to suggest to the dozens of former X3MC owners that the suspension on the X3MC is comfortable and they'll laugh you off the site. Granted, depending on your roads and use you many not care if the suspension feels like your running a Fred Flinstone mobile
Again, you are making statements, based on word of mouth and even admit on this thread that you haven't driven an X3MC. New York City and NY tri-state roads aren't really known for being glass smooth and my teeth are still hanging in there, no bent wheels, in fact my 50-year-old back feels great :>). It's a firm ride, yes, I stated that. Don't even think I used the word comfortable. Fred Flinstone? LOL, not even close, let's take a ride in my track spec E30 if we want to talk firm ride. Mind you, I also have a G07 (full air suspension), so it's not like I don't have a sense of a comfortable family hauler. If I had to drive to Florida solo, I would grab the X3M keys every single time.

I could care less about Macan't owners that moved to the platform from a BMW. Obviously, they picked the wrong car to begin with. Glad they found a suspension and car that's to their liking. Take one corner at 80+ mph in an X3MC and you would understand that in order to get that type of sedan-like handling in a 4500lb vehicle, there is no choice but to set up the suspension on the firm side.

Last edited by dmanb2b; 08-17-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 4