BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2022, 09:34 AM   #1
sungja6911
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2023 Genesis G70

Angry Disappointed BMW quality for MY22 X4M40i

Hi guys,

I'm so disappointed factory assembly quality for my 22x4m40i.
It's been about an year since I purchased my new vehicle.
And now odometer showed it has 2800 miles.
However, I found lots of issues from my one.

1. I just noticed that my rear bumper left side of edge area had small touched up paint trace.

- I've spoke with my service advisor and one of foreman in the dealership service department, and mechanic said it is trace of someone touch up painted on the area.
I never bought touch up paint and never disassembled bumper. They told me they are going to address this issue to the bmw corporate and I'm waiting on their response.

2. Rear spoiler paint peeling

- They noticed that and they've ordered new parts from Europe and they painted the parts from their body shop. They will switching off to new one.

3. Right tail light small cracking from inside

- Service mechanic observed that my tail light assembled too tight.
I do not know cracking occurred because of that, but they will address this issue to BMW corporate.

I have few more issues about my car like rattles of etc.
However these cosmetic issues annoying me and I deeply disappointed to BMW factory assembly quality.
This one is my 3rd bmw, I had e92 328, e89 z4, and this g02 x4.
Never had these type of issues with my previous beloved bmws.

I will look forward to hear from bmw corporate regarding the issues and I will also update to this forum, if anyone curious about my case.

Please share on this thread if anyone got similar issues like me.
I will put some pictures of the issues soon, because my work computer doesn't allow me to post pictures.

Thanks for reading my thread guys.
Attached Images

Last edited by sungja6911; 08-23-2022 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: more updates
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
alex101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Yeah that is my concern with US built vs German built vehicle. I think a sedan would be built way better.

Hopefully they do right and hire an attorney as BMW is being shady if they touched up the bumper.

However feel like that is something dealer would do during delivery they see something and touch it up..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:02 AM   #3
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

I wonder if the car was damaged post production and minor (substandard) repairs were made. To have both the bumper likely damaged and the light fixture cracked, maybe it was backed into something and repaired by transport company or dealer?
Appreciate 2
Rottweiler4061.00
M40i4me1038.50
      08-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #4
alex101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

When I got my first M40in in October 2021, dealer told me they like to "prep" the cars prior to delivery to make sure no damage and if damage they fix it.

So I assume that dealer did the same without notifying you of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #5
sungja6911
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
I wonder if the car was damaged post production and minor (substandard) repairs were made. To have both the bumper likely damaged and the light fixture cracked, maybe it was backed into something and repaired by transport company or dealer?
I have no ideas history of delivery.
I have purchased this vehicle through bmw dealership.

hope it can cover under warranty.
If not, I will think about to sell this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
sungja6911
Private
United_States
Rep

Hopefully bmw corporate concern about my issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

BMW quality assurance outside German built cars is pretty poor. I suspect COVID related issues in the supply chain quality is also impacting this. I’m awaiting the first post of a car being delivered with three wheels, as I sure it would pass QC.

I wish BMW built the x3 in Germany.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541063.00
      08-22-2022, 10:18 AM   #8
sungja6911
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
BMW quality assurance outside German built cars is pretty poor. I suspect COVID related issues in the supply chain quality is also impacting this. I’m awaiting the first post of a car being delivered with three wheels, as I sure it would pass QC.

Wow... delivered with three wheels ... lol how can that happened on automobile industry....
I really disappointed at BMW assembly quality for this time.

And the rattle from everywhere in the car....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #9
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungja6911 View Post
Wow... delivered with three wheels ... lol how can that happened on automobile industry....
I really disappointed at BMW assembly quality for this time.

And the rattle from everywhere in the car....
Profits are increasing due to current demand, so BMW doesn’t give a shit, it’s a sellers market. Maybe if/when the pain of a global recession really bites things maybe different.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541063.00
      08-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
mbed
X3M40i
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Yeah thanks for sharing. I have a similar opinion about mine, a X3M40i. Previously didn’t have any such issues on other cars. It may seem like they’ve been rushing the year end ‘22 models, in my case. Well to kick things off my vehicle came in with the wrong caliper color, which my SA said may be their mistake but when we looked at the window sticker it was not the case: the color matched what was on the window sticker so he did not order it to my build/specs. Wow. First I didn’t get the jet black 699Ms and then the SA doesn’t put it the right caliper color even when I reminded him after he gave me the call regarding the omission of jet black wheels. I know this isn’t regarding build quality but I’m also incorporating the overall experience which still has to do with bmw in general. Like getting my vehicle and having active blind spot monitoring malfunction from day one; actually from driving right out the dealership. I go back and some guy sat and claimed he fixed it and set me back on the road. And still not fixed. I call back and speak to the sales gm and he says enjoy the car and we’ll fix it later - it probably needs a reprogram. The issue is the reduced drive assistance prompt keeps pinging audibly and on screen every 20 seconds and you have to press the button/touch screen to dismiss it. That’s the problem.
Now for the build quality, I noticed only the driver side door doesn’t shut all the way in when closed. You have to really shut it hard to make sure it’s closed. All the other doors shut fine lightly. Also, the same door doesn’t seem to stay wide open, it keeps closing - it’s like the close, medium and far door hinge levels aren’t working. It only stays open when you make it stop or open it until a certain width by yourself and hold it there for a second.
The door(s) don’t unlock if I go up to open the door with the key in my pocket, the three lines on the door handle don’t do anything either, but that may be a setting that needs to be changed. Unless the vehicle doesn’t have keyless entry which is prob not the case on a M40i model.
Also, the vehicle shuts off as soon as I open the door. I changed the setting but it doesn’t seem like it saved it.

But yeah just not a good exp overall, especially when you’re getting a second vehicle from the same place.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 12:10 PM   #11
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbed View Post
Yeah thanks for sharing. I have a similar opinion about mine, a X3M40i. Previously didn’t have any such issues on other cars. It may seem like they’ve been rushing the year end ‘22 models, in my case. Well to kick things off my vehicle came in with the wrong caliper color, which my SA said may be their mistake but when we looked at the window sticker it was not the case: the color matched what was on the window sticker so he did not order it to my build/specs. Wow. First I didn’t get the jet black 699Ms and then the SA doesn’t put it the right caliper color even when I reminded him after he gave me the call regarding the omission of jet black wheels. I know this isn’t regarding build quality but I’m also incorporating the overall experience which still has to do with bmw in general. Like getting my vehicle and having active blind spot monitoring malfunction from day one; actually from driving right out the dealership. I go back and some guy sat and claimed he fixed it and set me back on the road. And still not fixed. I call back and speak to the sales gm and he says enjoy the car and we’ll fix it later - it probably needs a reprogram. The issue is the reduced drive assistance prompt keeps pinging audibly and on screen every 20 seconds and you have to press the button/touch screen to dismiss it. That’s the problem.
Now for the build quality, I noticed only the driver side door doesn’t shut all the way in when closed. You have to really shut it hard to make sure it’s closed. All the other doors shut fine lightly. Also, the same door doesn’t seem to stay wide open, it keeps closing - it’s like the close, medium and far door hinge levels aren’t working. It only stays open when you make it stop or open it until a certain width by yourself and hold it there for a second.
The door(s) don’t unlock if I go up to open the door with the key in my pocket, the three lines on the door handle don’t do anything either, but that may be a setting that needs to be changed. Unless the vehicle doesn’t have keyless entry which is prob not the case on a M40i model.
Also, the vehicle shuts off as soon as I open the door. I changed the setting but it doesn’t seem like it saved it.

But yeah just not a good exp overall, especially when you’re getting a second vehicle from the same place.
My moms x3 m40i had a few issues like slightly loose trim and a bottom piece of the door being loose. I think it is just how it is unfortunately. These are mass produced cars. I must say my 2019 330i has had some small stuff too. Maybe the higher end BMWs have a greater level of QC.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #12
mbed
X3M40i
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post
When I got my first M40in in October 2021, dealer told me they like to "prep" the cars prior to delivery to make sure no damage and if damage they fix it.

So I assume that dealer did the same without notifying you of it.
I hope corporate does take care of your issues, as they do pertain to QC and in no way should that happen on newly delivered vehicles. German production cars probably do get much better treatment.
Yeah when my X3M40i production was completed it did get sent to workshop(s) for QC, as told by genius. Then when it arrived at the dealership they said they needed a few days for their own inspection. I wonder what inspection either of them did as the active blind spot isn't even functional, the yellow warning lights don't even come on the side mirrors. Have to take it back to the dealership and have them fix the issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #13
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post

I just had a conversation with Neil njw1967 he said he had to reject his new M40d because of the many cosmetic issues with the paintwork etc.

I was shocked given the cost of the vehicle. You can maybe let the odd one go if they fixed it but not the amount that Neil had….I thought BMW would be better than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:13 PM   #14
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

when are we going to learn that BMW stands for only "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
not "The Ultimate Quality Machine"

BMW is behind Mercedes & Audi quality wise but it sure delivers "The Ultimate Driving Machine" experience compare to those brands.

every single time there is some poor labor/quality in assembly. BMW doesn't focus on overall quality/labor or even reliability as it doesn't impact the sales

Maybe Rolls Royce is a different story!

what I would suggest is look at Lemon Law if your state allows it

I only had one issue with brand new 2016 BMW R 1200 GS - factory installed the air intake module wrong! so the bike was shutting off the engine, dealer - BMW Cambridge , Boston MA - tried everything, replacing parts, contacted with factory, uploaded the computer logs but did not find anything.

long story short, they attempted to fix the issue 3 times and took longer than a month. I applied for Lemon Law from MA states - they bought the vehicle back immediately!

And MAX BMW NH figured out the problem - fixed it and kept the bike for a bargain price!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #15
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Ok, no offense - but these don't seem like big issues? What am I missing.
Talk to the dealer and schedule a time - they will replace the tail light and spoiler.
It should not happen obviously - and probably does not usually happen.
Someone mentioned a door not closing well, that is not good.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmotorrad46 View Post
when are we going to learn that BMW stands for only "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

BMW is behind Mercedes & Audi quality wise but it sure delivers "The Ultimate Driving Machine" experience compare to those brands.

every single time there is some poor labor/quality in assembly. BMW doesn't focus on overall quality/labor or even reliability as it doesn't impact the sales

I only had one issue with brand new 2016 BMW R 1200 GS - factory installed the air intake module wrong! so the bike was shutting off the engine, dealer - BMW Cambridge , Boston MA - tried everything, replacing parts, contacted with factory, uploaded the computer logs but did not find anything.

long story short, they attempted to fix the issue 3 times and took longer than a month. I applied for Lemon Law from MA states - they bought the vehicle back immediately!

And MAX BMW NH figured out the problem - fixed it and kept the bike for a bargain price!
I have 0 experience with MB but can speak to Audi... almost everything about BMW from my experience has been better... even down to build quality and certainly customer support.
      08-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #17
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my car was damaged pretty significantly before delivery and I wasn't told about it (which is illegal in California). BMW NA has still not responded to my inquiry.

I noticed a day after delivery that my black bumper trim was damaged. Peter Pan BMW in the Bay Area tried to blame me. They pointed to the scratches headlight as evidence. I also did didn't scratch the headlight. They finally changed the trim but not the headlight.

Then I installed an IND reflector delete and it didn't match. I contacted IND and they said it appeared my bumper has been repainted. I compared to the original spoiler (which I had removed) and bumper trim (see below) and it does look whiter.

So hopefully I can get a reply, or will have to turn to legal help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 02:34 PM   #18
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
Talk to the dealer and schedule a time - they will replace the tail light and spoiler.
Not trying to hijack, but I thought the same… the two marks shown in the pics are tiny. I'm as OCD as they come, and I would have prob not even noticed the light crack. Maybe I'm wrong… regardless, shouldn't have to be dealing with multiple issues such as these. OP - get the dealer to take care of you and make it right. If it'll make you feel any better, I can recap my first year of ownership on a 2018 Land Rover Discovery… that year was insane…
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 04:40 PM   #19
sungja6911
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
Yes, The cosmetic issue is not a big issue about the vehicle itself.
I'm saying disappointed as a one of customer of BMW.
However, things that I hate is wasting my time and getting stresses, and shitty loaner.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 06:37 PM   #20
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
That damage definitely needs to be corrected. The funny thing is that the tail light and bumper looks more like there was damage during shipping and either the shipper or dealer tried to "correct" it before delivery. I can't imagine the factory letting that touch up out the door.

That said, I need to take my car in to have the strike plate readjusted on my passenger front door. It's a little off.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #21
sgyX3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 320xi

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [0.00]
2023 BMW x1  [10.00]
2020 BMW x3M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmotorrad46 View Post

I have 0 experience with MB but can speak to Audi... almost everything about BMW from my experience has been better... even down to build quality and certainly customer support.
I agree 100 regarding Audi. Bought my Son a A4 Service was terrible, was in the shop for "disappearing" oil constantly never fixed. Had to fight them on the lemon law but eventually won. Will never own an Audi again.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10253.00
      08-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #22
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdudley View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure my car was damaged pretty significantly before delivery and I wasn't told about it (which is illegal in California). BMW NA has still not responded to my inquiry.

I noticed a day after delivery that my black bumper trim was damaged. Peter Pan BMW in the Bay Area tried to blame me. They pointed to the scratches headlight as evidence. I also did didn't scratch the headlight. They finally changed the trim but not the headlight.

Then I installed an IND reflector delete and it didn't match. I contacted IND and they said it appeared my bumper has been repainted. I compared to the original spoiler (which I had removed) and bumper trim (see below) and it does look whiter.

So hopefully I can get a reply, or will have to turn to legal help.
I've never dealt with Peter Pan, I bought from Steven's creek but for my last 4 bmws I've always gone back to Mountain View for service. Less BS, SA's are pretty good.
Appreciate 1
mrdudley356.50