BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum clunking noise

09-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

clunking noise

Am super sensitive to noises.

I decided for the first time ever to pull out from my garage with no Audio/music. At very very very slow speeds (like below 5MPH), I noticed a clunking noise as am pulling out of my garage and as I am driving slowly on a semi-rough road.

Is that normal? You can barely hear it, and it is only noticeable when windows are closed, audio off, and when it’s quite quite around with no cars around at all. I can also hear it louder when pressing the brakes forcing the font end to be pushed downward. My dealer thinks there is nothing and that things look okay. It does not bother me but wanted to see if others who are as sensitive as me to noises have noticed similar thing when things are super sensitive around.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
twinrink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i xdrive

Hi
I have noticed the same noise you describe it and my dealer say there was rock stuck in undercarriage making the noise.
I picked up the car and I can hear it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

• Does it seem that it's coming from the left front (driver's side) suspension?
  • Does it seem to be present mostly during slow speed driving?
  • Does it seem to be present on semi rough road, but not on speed bumps?
  • Does it occur even when you apply slight/moderate brake pressure?
  • Does it sound like something rattling in the door pocket?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
  • Does it seem that it's coming from the left front (driver's side) suspension?
  • Does it seem to be present mostly during slow speed driving?
  • Does it seem to be present on semi rough road, but not on speed bumps?
  • Does it occur even when you apply slight/moderate brake pressure?
  • Does it sound like something rattling in the door pocket?
Does it seem that it's coming from the left front (driver's side) suspension? No, it's hard to tell if it's coming from one side only.
Does it seem to be present mostly during slow speed driving? Yes and can only hear it at low speeds
Does it seem to be present on semi rough road, but not on speed bumps? yes for semi rough road, and yes when I press the brake to exercise the suspensions, but I have no speed bumps around to try.
Does it occur even when you apply slight/moderate brake pressure? Yes!!! I feel that the moderate brake exercises the front end movements and cause the noise to appear too.
Does it sound like something rattling in the door pocket? No, it's not like rattling in the door pocket, but it sounds like a rattling noise coming from the front end (not a metal rattling though).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
twinrink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i xdrive

Gsobol
Yes to all including left front wheel.
Idea?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Raised all of these with my SA, they test drove the vehicle and identified lower control arm as a culprit and replaced it. It's better, although the noise does reappear randomly, just not as pronounced. No idea if the arm was an issue or something else has shifted under the hood when they replaced the arm. With the vehicle so quiet, you can hear things that you would normally ignore in another vehicle. For example my 10 year old Mazda 3 has no clanking noises... that I can hear
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:09 PM   #7
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I had similar issue. Took today to the dealer. They only lift it up and didn't do anything. Noise is gone!!!!!!!!!! It's been like that for 2 months. According to the tech, he did not touch anything, and all he did is to lift it up to see if there is anything suspicious.

Can someone explain this !!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #8
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I noticed the noise disappears as I drive longer (and perhaps with temperature). It is more apparent when I first take off out from my driveway and then almost disappears longer drive.

Also, when the dealer lift the vehicle up, the noise disappeared that day. Next morning, fresh start, noise is back for the first few miles of driving.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 05:34 PM   #9
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just wanted to report back to the group on the solution

Just came back from a dealer visit. This ended up being due to the left and right lower control arm.

Both will be replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      10-20-2022, 09:46 AM   #10
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I just wanted to report back to the group on the solution

Just came back from a dealer visit. This ended up being due to the left and right lower control arm.

Both will be replaced under warranty.
Good luck and let us know. My lower control arm was replaced, noise comes and goes ....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #11
MStampede
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i, 18 M3cs, 23 i4

Had a similar sound on my previous F85, it was due to the rotors used in the M cars. There is a TSB about this. The rotor would actually "slip" just a bit on the hub, making a slight clunk at slow speed or when reversing and moving to forward. Wonder if this could be an issue affecting the G07. The dealer replaced my rotors under warranty and went away for about 2k miles and then returned sporadically.
Appreciate 0