forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Carplay GPS drift

09-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #1
pli
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i, 2023 X7

Carplay GPS drift

Has anyone noticed a GPS location drift when using Apple Carplay? It has happened at least three times to me that the GPS location is off by hundreds of feet (so completely useless) when using Carplay navigation on 23 X7. It happened to both Apple and Google maps, using my wife's iPhone or mine, before and after iOS 16 update. Reboot of iPhone didn't help but the problem seemed to just go away next time we drove the car (likely due to a reboot of iDrive).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

This would be a phone problem, not an X7 problem, as the GPS module lives in the iPhone, not the BMW.

This happens to me in tunnels and where there are massive over/underpasses, for a few seconds Google Maps thinks I'm not in the tunnel or on the wrong overpass, but then quickly corrects itself.

Note that every time Apple releases a new iOS version it takes the map makers a week or two to issue an update to Google, Waze, etc. which normally fixes the black screen problem or the double voice command problem.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
pli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
This would be a phone problem, not an X7 problem, as the GPS module lives in the iPhone, not the BMW.

This happens to me in tunnels and where there are massive over/underpasses, for a few seconds Google Maps thinks I'm not in the tunnel or on the wrong overpass, but then quickly corrects itself.

Note that every time Apple releases a new iOS version it takes the map makers a week or two to issue an update to Google, Waze, etc. which normally fixes the black screen problem or the double voice command problem.
Wireless Carplay prioritizes the usage of car GPS if available, so this seems to me more of a communication issue between iDrive 8 and iPhone.

BTW, with Carplay disconnected, both car GPS and iPhone GPS were accurate.
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
Jrjones4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pli View Post
Has anyone noticed a GPS location drift when using Apple Carplay? It has happened at least three times to me that the GPS location is off by hundreds of feet (so completely useless) when using Carplay navigation on 23 X7. It happened to both Apple and Google maps, using my wife's iPhone or mine, before and after iOS 16 update. Reboot of iPhone didn't help but the problem seemed to just go away next time we drove the car (likely due to a reboot of iDrive).
I have this same problem on my 2023 X7 M60i. However, the car navigation system is always right - it’s just my phone will sometimes drift GPS location when connected to CarPlay. I switched to T-Mobile recently so I could use personal esim through BMW and I wondered if it was related to that? Are you on T-Mobile and are you using esim?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I had this exact problem in my S-class.

It ended up being my phone, and problem solved completely when I replaced my iPhone.

What is interesting in your case is that both your phone, and your wife's phone are leading to the same issue. What are the chances that both phones have the same issue instead of being an X7 related issue? I don't know. But to be on the safe side, I would at least try another phone that was NOT purchased around same time and same location to your phone and your wife's phone. Also, does the lag happen around the same exact location, or are you seeing the same exact problems regardless of the location?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
pli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrjones4 View Post
I have this same problem on my 2023 X7 M60i. However, the car navigation system is always right - it’s just my phone will sometimes drift GPS location when connected to CarPlay. I switched to T-Mobile recently so I could use personal esim through BMW and I wondered if it was related to that? Are you on T-Mobile and are you using esim?
Verizon iPhone here and esim not activated. My understanding is whatever wireless network gets the map, and then the GPS module point your location on that map. So somehow there's a disconnect between them when using Carplay. Hopefully it's just software, so I wonder if older models (iDrive 7 or earlier) went through similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
pli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I had this exact problem in my S-class.

It ended up being my phone, and problem solved completely when I replaced my iPhone.

What is interesting in your case is that both your phone, and your wife's phone are leading to the same issue. What are the chances that both phones have the same issue instead of being an X7 related issue? I don't know. But to be on the safe side, I would at least try another phone that was NOT purchased around same time and same location to your phone and your wife's phone. Also, does the lag happen around the same exact location, or are you seeing the same exact problems regardless of the location?
All good points. Actually our iPhones are different models, so it doesn't seem to be hardware related. The lag happened completely randomly. At this point I'm hoping it's either iOS 16 or iDrive 8...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pli View Post
All good points. Actually our iPhones are different models, so it doesn't seem to be hardware related. The lag happened completely randomly. At this point I'm hoping it's either iOS 16 or iDrive 8...
IOS 16.1 is supposed to fix "GPS Problems" that were apparently introduced in 16.0.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #9
sam011989
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7

This can be easily proven to be a problem with the car and not the phone.

I have a 2023 X7.

Connect phone to CarPlay and look at the map. Notice where you are as the incorrect location.

Now open the BMW app and look at where the BMW is SELF REPORTING it’s location to BMW. Notice they’re the same spot.

So, while the I drive gps is correct for navigation, there appears to be a secondary system generating an incorrect location which is passed on to BMW as well as CarPlay. This is something I’m going to have my dealer look at, i didnt spend all this money on a car that can’t figure out its correct location.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #10
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam011989 View Post
This can be easily proven to be a problem with the car and not the phone.

I have a 2023 X7.

Connect phone to CarPlay and look at the map. Notice where you are as the incorrect location.

Now open the BMW app and look at where the BMW is SELF REPORTING it’s location to BMW. Notice they’re the same spot.

So, while the I drive gps is correct for navigation, there appears to be a secondary system generating an incorrect location which is passed on to BMW as well as CarPlay. This is something I’m going to have my dealer look at, i didnt spend all this money on a car that can’t figure out its correct location.
Try to reboot the iDrive. Press and hold the volume knob, keep holding it until the unit powers off - KEEP HOLDINGING IT while it starts up, it will power off the second time - when it does release the volume knob. That will fully reboot the system, see if this helps.

Most people release the volume knob after the first power off, that's only a soft reset, sometimes that does not fix the issue. The second reboot is a hard reset.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

This has happened to me twice. Once on the drive home from the dealership after picking up the car and once today (after about 2 weeks of ownership). What I had to do was force close the google maps on my iphone and reopen it. Not ideal, but solves the problem for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #12
wcharnock
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

I had this happen the other day - approaching a destination I suddenly was like 1/4 mile away and on a different road on the GPS than I had been. I wasn't sure what happened and oddly when I put the location in the onboard GPS it worked just fine...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 08:11 PM   #13
Jrjones4
Private
Rep

I can confirm iOS 16.1 on iPhone 14 Pro Max does not fix the problem. I had it happen again yesterday in CarPlay. GPS on Nav in car seemed fine when I switched over. I’ve restarted iDrive etc. I use CarPlay in a 4Runner and have not had this happen with the same phone. I’m on T-Mobile with personal esim activated in the X7.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #14
robkassab
Rob
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Mine was working fine until I setup my iPhone 13 as a digital key; then the GPS drift issue began.

Do others having this issue have their phone set as a digital key?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #15
Jrjones4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkassab View Post
Mine was working fine until I setup my iPhone 13 as a digital key; then the GPS drift issue began.

Do others having this issue have their phone set as a digital key?
Interesting - I do have my iPhone 14 Pro Max setup as digital key as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #16
robkassab
Rob
Rep

And now there is this to throw into the Mixmaster.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/10/27...ues-for-users/
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 05:33 PM   #17
robkassab
Rob
Rep

Can I get a show of hands of people who have had this issue after they created an iPhone digital key?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #18
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Maybe it also has something to do with Waze being overly optimistic with it's arrival and drive time, or did I miss a notice about speed limit being suspended .....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 09:05 PM   #19
HatTrick71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 xDrive40i

I had an issue like this when I first got my 2021 40i -- the car GPS and my phone GPS (Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze) intermittently showed my location anywhere between a few hundred feet and several miles from where I actually was. Even the Vehicle Finder in the MyBMW app showed the car's location in random places nowhere near where the car actually was. After several trips to the dealer, it turned out to be the car's GPS antenna and the control unit that supports GPS. Somehow it was affecting my phone's GPS at the same time. They replaced the parts and everything has been working fine since.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:00 AM   #20
robkassab
Rob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick71 View Post
I had an issue like this when I first got my 2021 40i -- the car GPS and my phone GPS (Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze) intermittently showed my location anywhere between a few hundred feet and several miles from where I actually was. Even the Vehicle Finder in the MyBMW app showed the car's location in random places nowhere near where the car actually was. After several trips to the dealer, it turned out to be the car's GPS antenna and the control unit that supports GPS. Somehow it was affecting my phone's GPS at the same time. They replaced the parts and everything has been working fine since.
Do you know if the new replacement parts were different part numbers from the original? Perhaps you can post a scan of the dealer's work order describing the issue and the fix.

Last edited by robkassab; 11-03-2022 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:34 AM   #21
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick71 View Post
This is exactly whats going on. It only happens in the X7 as my other car is fine and has never done this. What did you show them to get them to change the parts out? Is there a bulletin or anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #22
HatTrick71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkassab View Post
Do you know if the new replacement parts were different part numbers from the original? Perhaps you can post a scan of the dealer's work order describing the issue and the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
This is exactly whats going on. It only happens in the X7 as my other car is fine and has never done this. What did you show them to get them to change the parts out? Is there a bulletin or anything?
Here is the completed work order showing they diagnosed and replaced the failed TCB and battery. There was no bulletin that I was aware of, and it took multiple trips to the dealer to get it resolved. (The first time they updated the software and replaced the antenna, which may have been needed but didn't solve the problem.) To prove my point I did show them a Navigation screenshot of my car's location in the middle of the ocean though (see below).
Attached Images

Last edited by HatTrick71; 11-03-2022 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 1