BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #1
adaughtry
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

X6 & Hummer Collision Drivetrain Malfunction

My vehicle was struck while stationary at a stop light by a military grade Hummer 2006. Driver of Hummer lost control at a high rate of speed and struck the front of my vehicle after spinning out. Eyewitnesses said driver was going 80-100. Hummer obviously lost speed at impact after spinning. My X6 has been at the repair shop since the end of July awaiting parts. Repair has begun this past week. Estimated repairs at about $25,000. Vehicle was nearly brand new with 5,600 miles. Through the app I can see it now has a drivetrain malfunction error. I am disappointed the car was not totaled. Blue book value was right at what I paid at the time of the accident due to the current market. Air bags did not deploy. Any thoughts on what this has permanently done to the value? And lasting performance issues?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Sorry to see this happened. With all the horrendous driving these days post-COVID, I'm tempted to buy an ex-military Hummer myself just for getting around town.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you are compensated for the diminished value of your vehicle. At that point, you can either keep it and pocket that money or take the car and trade it in and get something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #3
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

A damn shame. Some people can't drive no matter the speed. I drive too fast all the time, but have never lost control.

As far as the airbags, I'd say that's a pretty big issue. Unless there's something preventing them from deploying if you're stationary???

Did you get multiple quotes on the cost for damages?
      09-24-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but obviously repairs of this magnitude will hurt resale value.

My own approach, which is heavily influenced by keeping my sanity over my checkbook, is that I would chalk this up to one of life’s annoyances (thankfully as I assume no one was hurt) and move on.

Sure I would try for diminished value, but not drive myself crazy trying.

YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:42 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Glad that no one was hurt, assuming that. Am surprised they didn't total it with that amount a damage but I guess with used car valuers being high that is happening more.

There are appraisers that will furnish a report showing the diminished value. Here is a company I heard reviewed on a radio show but have no experience with. May be worth checking it out.

https://diminishedvalueexpert.com
      09-24-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
adaughtry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Glad that no one was hurt, assuming that. Am surprised they didn't total it with that amount a damage but I guess with used car valuers being high that is happening more.

There are appraisers that will furnish a report showing the diminished value. Here is a company I heard reviewed on a radio show but have no experience with. May be worth checking it out.

https://diminishedvalueexpert.com
Thanks for the feedback. We do plan to pursue the diminished value claim. We have been advised that this is done once the repairs are completed. Initially the car did not show the Drivetrain Malfunction warning but now that they have begun work it has appeared on my app. What I read says that is the engine or transmission and the car is in limp mode. Hoping this might push it to be totaled.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #7
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaughtry View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We do plan to pursue the diminished value claim. We have been advised that this is done once the repairs are completed. Initially the car did not show the Drivetrain Malfunction warning but now that they have begun work it has appeared on my app. What I read says that is the engine or transmission and the car is in limp mode. Hoping this might push it to be totaled.

Damn that sucks man! But be happy you live in a country where dimished value is claimable here in Canaduh no such thing exists and when I traded my X3 it hurt all because I got rear ended.

I really hope you get this all figured out and hope everyone is ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
adaughtry
Rep

Drivetrain Malfunction Question

Does anyone have any experience with this warning from an accident?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
You may not want to receive payment from their insurance company for the damages since agreeing to that may eliminate any future claims, including diminished value. I would talk to a non-insurance person (attorney or diminished value consultant) if you haven't already.
      09-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
It could be a multitude of things (bad sensor, broken wire, bent part, etc.) so it is not really worth speculating what has caused it. You may want to involve a BMW dealer in the estimating/repair process.
      09-25-2022, 12:55 AM   #11
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
My vehicle was struck while stationary at a stop light by a military grade Hummer 2006. Driver of Hummer lost control at a high rate of speed and struck the front of my vehicle after spinning out. Eyewitnesses said driver was going 80-100. Hummer obviously lost speed at impact after spinning. My X6 has been at the repair shop since the end of July awaiting parts. Repair has begun this past week. Estimated repairs at about $25,000. Vehicle was nearly brand new with 5,600 miles. Through the app I can see it now has a drivetrain malfunction error. I am disappointed the car was not totaled. Blue book value was right at what I paid at the time of the accident due to the current market. Air bags did not deploy. Any thoughts on what this has permanently done to the value? And lasting performance issues?
Make sure you get estimates from a BMW CCRC. The insurer initially thought our 45e was repairable and after being with the CCRC and then discovering many other issues, ours was deemed a total loss.

Same boat as you, '22 with less than 4K miles at time of accident. Took us 4 months to get it and we only had it for 3.

https://my.bmwusa.com/ccrc
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #12
adaughtry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggie View Post
Quote:
Make sure you get estimates from a BMW CCRC. The insurer initially thought our 45e was repairable and after being with the CCRC and then discovering many other issues, ours was deemed a total loss.

Same boat as you, '22 with less than 4K miles at time of accident. Took us 4 months to get it and we only had it for 3.

https://my.bmwusa.com/ccrc
Thanks-it's at a CCRC that the dealership uses.

Yes, we couldn't find the X6 we wanted and paid to have this one shipped. Only drove for a few months too.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I think what you're seeing is an "in process" repair taking place since you said they have started working on it. They will have to remove a number of parts, look for any further damage, disconnect sensors, etc. I'm surprised they still have the battery connected but that may change as the process continues. I guess what I'm saying is to pretty much ignore the in process noise while they do the repair.

There are numerous malfunction codes and wordings of which drivetrain malfunction is just one of them. If the car senses something is wrong somewhere in the drivetrain, it will go into self preservation mode by shutting down or disabling certain features, capabilities, etc in an effort to prevent further damage to itself. Example: in the event of a tranny hiccup, it will go into what is affectionately called, limp home mode, where it limits the gears the tranny will use and overall speed while driving. There are a number of these types of preventive measures that BMW's have had for a couple of decades. I had a 1994 840 that went into limp home mode and it simply turned out to be a low battery that stopped taking a proper charge so the voltage level was near the threshold of not supplying enough power for everything that required it and the car started shutting down. I happened to be out and about when that happened and it was a s l o w ride home
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #14
adaughtry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
I think what you're seeing is an "in process" repair taking place since you said they have started working on it. They will have to remove a number of parts, look for any further damage, disconnect sensors, etc. I'm surprised they still have the battery connected but that may change as the process continues. I guess what I'm saying is to pretty much ignore the in process noise while they do the repair.

There are numerous malfunction codes and wordings of which drivetrain malfunction is just one of them. If the car senses something is wrong somewhere in the drivetrain, it will go into self preservation mode by shutting down or disabling certain features, capabilities, etc in an effort to prevent further damage to itself. Example: in the event of a tranny hiccup, it will go into what is affectionately called, limp home mode, where it limits the gears the tranny will use and overall speed while driving. There are a number of these types of preventive measures that BMW's have had for a couple of decades. I had a 1994 840 that went into limp home mode and it simply turned out to be a low battery that stopped taking a proper charge so the voltage level was near the threshold of not supplying enough power for everything that required it and the car started shutting down. I happened to be out and about when that happened and it was a s l o w ride home
Good info thank you
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 08:12 AM   #15
ChiRealtor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I started a post a while back about getting hit right after I bought my x5. It look like almost nothing and was almost $20k in repairs. The larger ticket was a new headlight. Once they’d put the car back together the headlight was giving a code and needed to be replaced… it didn’t even have a scratch on it.

Anyway, after all repairs are done and the claim is closed you can call the at fault parties insurance yourself to file a diminished value claim. Mine was SUPER hassle free. Just emailed the other parties insurance adjuster (got his contact info from my insurance adjuster) that I wanted to file a claim. Didn’t fill out any paperwork but got a $8k check in a couple weeks. Because of the inflated used car prices the claims pay out quite a lot right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #16
adaughtry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRealtor View Post
I started a post a while back about getting hit right after I bought my x5. It look like almost nothing and was almost $20k in repairs. The larger ticket was a new headlight. Once they’d put the car back together the headlight was giving a code and needed to be replaced… it didn’t even have a scratch on it.

Anyway, after all repairs are done and the claim is closed you can call the at fault parties insurance yourself to file a diminished value claim. Mine was SUPER hassle free. Just emailed the other parties insurance adjuster (got his contact info from my insurance adjuster) that I wanted to file a claim. Didn’t fill out any paperwork but got a $8k check in a couple weeks. Because of the inflated used car prices the claims pay out quite a lot right now.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:49 AM   #17
ibuprofen600
Rep
Drives: waiting for X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
A damn shame. Some people can't drive no matter the speed. I drive too fast all the time, but have never lost control.

As far as the airbags, I'd say that's a pretty big issue. Unless there's something preventing them from deploying if you're stationary???

Did you get multiple quotes on the cost for damages?
The airbags should only deploy when needed, if the occupants didn't hit anything with their body because of the impact then it's a good thing they didn't deploy.
Appreciate 0