BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Dealer service without bringing a physical key

10-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
nullpointer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 m50i

Has anyone been to a scheduled maintenance service without bringing a physical key?

I never use my physical keys because it's just one more thing to carry. I use my iphone as the main key and a digital key card in my wallet as a backup.

Last week I just went to the dealership to get my X7's 1st schedule maintenance. I planed to give them the digital key card so I didn't bring the physical key. My SA straight refused to take my car in because he needed the physical key "to read some information from it". So I had to waste 40+ mins to go home and retrieve the key.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. I'm surprised that dealerships are not ready to deal with digital only keys even though they have come with BMWs for quite a few years. Also I received 2 phone calls prior to confirm my service appointment and no one reminded me to bring the physical key.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 08:40 PM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

That sounds right though. The vehicle does indeed write information to the key about vehicle status, service history as well as your VIN of course so it's much easier for them to check the vehicle in for service. The other thing is they obviously have to use a key to service it and you're obviously not going to be able to give them your phone to hang onto. I'm not sure if the Digital Key Card has the same information written to it about the vehicle status.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #3
nullpointer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
That sounds right though. The vehicle does indeed write information to the key about vehicle status, service history as well as your VIN of course so it's much easier for them to check the vehicle in for service. The other thing is they obviously have to use a key to service it and you're obviously not going to be able to give them your phone to hang onto. I'm not sure if the Digital Key Card has the same information written to it about the vehicle status.
Of course my plan was to give them the digital key card like I've done at many valet places. It doesn't make sense to me that any information of the car is not stored on the car computer but on the physical key memory, especially since I don't use the key at all. They definitely have my VIN associated with my phone # and service history on the cloud. So asking for the physical key to look up the info is just lazy on their part.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:14 AM   #4
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullpointer View Post
So asking for the physical key to look up the info is just lazy on their part.
If they are being lazy, how would you describe yourself?
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1841.00
      10-17-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

BMW service department (your SA) uses physical key reader to check-in the car into the computer system for newer model year vehicles. I think they wouldn't object to service your vehicle if it was much older (no smart key) - however at this point you would still need your physical key anyway - so moot.

Keep using your smart phone as your primary key, just remember to bring your physical key with you when you service the vehicle. Also, as a side note, remember to bring your physical key with you when going on a trip - just in case. You never know what can happen and then you are going to be up the excrement river without any means of propulsion.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:16 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That’s SOP. No service center is accepting a vehicle without a physical key. Digital key is a side luxury option and not considered primary by BMW.

BMW can remove the digital key from your vehicle in the future with a “update” and there is nothing you could do. This is what they did with the 2019/2020 models with no way to use your cell to unlock/start your BMW even though they could before the update. BMW sent out a “so sorry but you can still use the CC key and we won’t compensate you for this feature we sold you and then took away.”

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-17-2022 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
streborx
Major
Rep

An amusing article appeared recently in the WSJ, recounting the experience of a trio of young women who had never experienced life without a smartphone. They rented a Zipcar to drive to a hiking destination where there was no cell phone service. They were subsequently shocked to discover that they were stranded because their smartphone digital key could no longer connect to the car (not sure what they planned to do if they encounted problems while hiking). Technology is wonderful except for when you take it for granted. They plan to write a book about their adventure -- "Life Without Five Bars".
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1841.00
      10-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #8
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I bet the folks at the service center had a nice laugh at your expense.

Like others have mentioned, the primary key allows them to place it on a reader and access/update important information about your car. Why you would expect them to make an exception and do things differently than they have been for many years is silly.
      10-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
nullpointer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
That's SOP. No service center is accepting a vehicle without a physical key. Digital key is a side luxury option and not considered primary by BMW.

BMW can remove the digital key from your vehicle in the future with a "update" and there is nothing you could do. This is what they did with the 2019/2020 models with no way to use your cell to unlock/start your BMW even though they could before the update. BMW sent out a "so sorry but you can still use the CC key and we won't compensate you for this feature we sold you and then took away."
Thanks! Your explanation makes more sense to me. Digital keys can be erased if they update the idrive system. I accept that as a reason to require the physical key.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
nullpointer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pin  View Post
I bet the folks at the service center had a nice laugh at your expense.

Like others have mentioned, the primary key allows them to place it on a reader and access/update important information about your car. Why you would expect them to make an exception and do things differently than they have been for many years is silly.
Well, if everyone is just doing what they have been doing before, we wouldn't be where we are. I won't be surprised if one day they fully support digital key as the "primary" key, since that's clearly the direction they are going to with using the uwb on the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #11
streborx
Major
Rep

Wireless technology isn't fault free - that's why there's an old fashioned metal key buried in the key fob.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #12
nullpointer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Wireless technology isn't fault free - that's why there's an old fashioned metal key buried in the key fob.
I've always wondered, can you start the car with only that metal key? Otherwise it's still wireless isn't it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:47 AM   #13
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Were you really expecting them to have access and be able to drive your vehicle without you brining any sort of key?
That will never happen! They don't want that liability either!. Imagine them allowing this to be a feature and available on the cloud for all SA, then some hackers hacking the system and drive any BMW available around.

The reason a physical key is needed is because they (the SA people) do NOT have access to your personal data/info as you think. By giving them the physical key, you are giving them access then, and that is the only way for them to access the vehicle data, which by the way, also includes: What time you opened any door, what time your left your home, what time you arrived and closed the door, etc etc!. Your personal life and trend are all recorded.... These are personal information that are encrypted and secured (you can even generate such "Data Report" online using your account. Even opening the front hood is recorded as a data point!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:53 AM   #14
nullpointer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Were you really expecting them to have access and be able to drive your vehicle without you brining any sort of key?
That will never happen! They don't want that liability either!. Imagine them allowing this to be a feature and available on the cloud for all SA, then some hackers hacking the system and drive any BMW available around.

The reason a physical key is needed is because they (the SA people) do NOT have access to your personal data/info as you think. By giving them the physical key, you are giving them access then, and that is the only way for them to access the vehicle data, which by the way, also includes: What time you opened any door, what time your left your home, what time you arrived and closed the door, etc etc!. Your personal life and trend are all recorded.... These are personal information that are encrypted and secured (you can even generate such "Data Report" online using your account. Even opening the front hood is recorded as a data point!
I guess I forgot to mention in the original post that I was going to give them the digital key card as I've done at many valet places. Let me edit that and let this post serve as a reminder in case some people as as "silly" as me
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #15
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I guess I forgot to mention in the original post that I was going to give them the digital key card as I've done at many valet places. Let me edit that and let this post serve as a reminder in case some people as as "silly" as me
With the digital key (card), I would agree with you the BMW somehow should also be able to gain access to you vehicle, but the main concern remains that the vehicle may lose it's ability to recognize that card in case of a power or software issue.... I can see many people making that mistake and assume that a digital key card is okay.....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:05 PM   #16
nullpointer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
but the main concern remains that the vehicle may lose it's ability to recognize that card in case of a power or software issue....
I guess we have all gotten use to this happening in the auto industry. But this is just bad software. Imagine after a Windows update some users can no longer login and require the administrator unlock; or after an iPhone update everything in the Apple Wallet is gone... Maybe it's too high of a standard to ask for BMW, but as cars become more and more software defined (whether we like it or not), this will have to change.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:34 PM   #17
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Those digital key cards are also very easily damaged. I know because I've already had to get one replaced which is a 3 day process. They have to be ordered, coded by BMW before shipped to dealer. I'm not sure I'd want techs having to handle and manage them. Sounds silly but the service centers are very accustomed to taking physical keys, putting a tag/ring on it and follow whatever protocol makes sense from the time they take in the vehicle until it's returned to you. The digital key card is not the same. They'd pretty much need to purchase pouches that can hold the card and keep it safe and secure while in their possession.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #18
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I guess we have all gotten use to this happening in the auto industry. But this is just bad software. Imagine after a Windows update some users can no longer login and require the administrator unlock; or after an iPhone update everything in the Apple Wallet is gone... Maybe it's too high of a standard to ask for BMW, but as cars become more and more software defined (whether we like it or not), this will have to change.
You can never trust software-based tech like the Phone Key or Key card. That's why I've never used my I-Phone as a kay (for multiple reasons) one of which I have no problem carrying my display key which I like a lot and keeping it in my bag when I go work, or in my pocket wherever I go. I am a fan of actual keys, and the display key to me is ideal. I would hate to use the (phone-as a key) if its available to me, because my garage is separated from home-office by just a wall, and my car is just parked behind the wall (3 ft away from my desk on the opposite side of the wall). My car would think I am approaching it, and then leaving, if I leave my home-office and will try to lock again even though it is locked! that will be really stupid based on my understanding of how it works..... I only use my display key all the time...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:26 PM   #19
nullpointer
United_States
Rep

https://insideevs.com/news/597110/te...ding-key-fobs/

I guess I belong to the tesla targeted user base... Although I have never owned or interested in a tesla.

I'm not arguing digital vs physical, which is better. Each person has their preference that works best for his/her situation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #20
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
https://insideevs.com/news/597110/te...ding-key-fobs/

I guess I belong to the tesla targeted user base... Although I have never owned or interested in a tesla.

I'm not arguing digital vs physical, which is better. Each person has their preference that works best for his/her situation.
Yup... Tesla is moving everything towards the extreme.

I mean, what do you expect from a company that has even gone all the way to eliminate the gear selector!!!!!? Of course they will provide only a card and NO key!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #21
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I've always wondered, can you start the car with only that metal key? Otherwise it's still wireless isn't it.
The metal key blade inside the remote isn't for starting the car (that is done through induction...the emergency start procedure is to place the remote next to a specific location on the steering wheel column..where a ring antenna is located which will then power up the transponder (through induction) to start the car. This is why & how a remote fob with a dead battery inside can still start the vehicle.

The metal key inside the remote is for physically UNLOCKING the vehicle's door if there's a power failure. It will give access to the interior where the hood can be popped open to access the jump start terminals in the engine bay.

If the battery in the fob does die...and you can't electronically open the doors...then this is when you use the metal key inside the fob to unlock the driver's door....using the lock cylinder which sometimes is hidden under a removable cover. (I guess this is a good time to remind owners to maintain the driver's door lock cylinder by giving it an annual lubrication so that it doesn't gum up from dirt/grime/dust. )

Once you've manually opened the door (if the remote's battery is dead) you can then hold the fob next to the icon on the steering column to start the car. If the car's battery is deeply discharged and won't start the vehicle...this is when you can pop the hood and hook up jumpers to the terminals in the engine bay.

Lesson learned...always bring a physical remote fob with you to hand over for service work. Too many things can go wrong which may require the fob to access entry or start the vehicle that digital key card doesn't have:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #22
vegam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
An amusing article appeared recently in the WSJ, recounting the experience of a trio of young women who had never experienced life without a smartphone. They rented a Zipcar to drive to a hiking destination where there was no cell phone service. They were subsequently shocked to discover that they were stranded because their smartphone digital key could no longer connect to the car (not sure what they planned to do if they encounted problems while hiking). Technology is wonderful except for when you take it for granted. They plan to write a book about their adventure -- "Life Without Five Bars".
I have no experience using smartphone digital keys but if someone is designing these smart keys that depend on connecting to some web services that needs data access, then the design is flawed. Forget remote hiking spots, even if you are in downtown, in underground parking garages, then you can't unlock the car because one can't get cellphone signal? I would have assumed these digital smart keys used NFC or bluetooth at the very latest (very insecure) to lock/unlock. Many hotels let you lock/unlock with your apple watch now. Don't need wifi/data connection
Appreciate 1