BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Leather and interior trim failure?

10-17-2022, 01:26 PM   #1
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Unhappy Leather and interior trim failure?

I figured I would start a thread since I've only seen posts about side bolsters cracking.

My 2021 X7 has suddenly started to show unusual signs of wear and tear in the interior. The plastic door cups are chipping and leather is showing small defects where the top layer is peeling. The stitching on the front seats are becoming undone as well.

I took it to my dealer and the SA told me the 'warranty guy' will take a look at it. They told me they will repair the stitching on the seat but the rest of my complaints are superficial and normal wear and tear. The SA manager said the chipping of the plastic has happened in her X5 as if it will make me feel better.

I have reached out to BMWNA through BBB and got the same response I stated above. I have appealed their decision and informed them I will reach out to the General Attorney, Consumer Services, and seek legal counsel.

Do any other forum members have issues with the interior and if so what was your outcome?

2021 X7 40i
Fully Loaded-minus cold weather package
Ivory Merino with extended leather

FYI

We are very mindful in what we bring into the car, no pets, food, sharp objects are allowed in the car. keys are placed In the little cubby when driving. Wife does not wear rings and her purse is placed on the floor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I agree with the stitching issue being a warranty-related issue.

For the other trim pieces scratches, I am going to be honest and my opinion might be different from others: most of these areas that you are pointing at are high traffic/use area, so they are certainly a user/driver-induced issues. Not to say that these issues are normal, no , it is certainly not normal and should not have happed on a 100K vehicle like this " that quick".

My point is, they are clearly NOT a (manufacturing) issue, but I agree with the stitching issue being a manufacturing-warranty issue here. The other minor scratches seem to be a user-induced wear and tear, but the main reason is the poor quality of the materials used by BMW, but there is nothing you can about it. Some people are way more careful than you (despite you making the point that you are careful).

I have taken a look at both my X7s today, and I agree that those area appear to be made from poor quality. The same for the leather covering the sides of the central console (I have a scratch there). The door cups also appear to be too soft/cheap. But, I take SUPER care of my interior to the fact I even cover most areas where my kids sit (i.e.: back of drover and passenger seat).

The leather covering the pockets at the back of the driver/passenger seats is even worse!.

In summary, I really don't think there is anything you can do. Bad quality materials on those areas, and with time, wear and tear, you have ruined some of those areas......We can't win a case claiming that materials did not stand against normal wear and tear since these cracks did not start due to an outside factor like sun or so...... The interior is very well put together, but historically BMW is known to have poor wear-and-tear resistant materials for the trim pieces .... unlike Lexus and some other brands.. Look at those picture you posted: It is really a shame that the leather in these areas is that thin!!!!!!!!!! Am not surprised that the plastic/Vinyl trim pieces are starting to wear off though... poor engineering choice by designers.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 10-17-2022 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
My 2019 has 53,000 miles and has none of the issues you mention. Doesn't sound normal to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

What year/mileage is your vehicle/interior do you have?

I am dumbfounded by my situation because if this was a widespread issue than BMW would have a lawsuit on their hands. Normal wear and tear on a 2021 with 17k miles is absurd.

What im trying to find out through this post is if its:

A) merino interior not being as durable
B) isolated case
C) what constitutes normal wear and tear

if my seats are being fixed because of the stitching becoming undone already there is obviously some defects.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      10-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

I never had issues in my 2001 745il and i'm assuming a majority of owners in X7's don't have any issues either.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Do you have a pic of your seat?

Very odd.
Merino leather is BMW’s top option leather and been used for decades. It has never had a durability issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcss812 View Post

I am dumbfounded by my situation because if this was a widespread issue than BMW would have a lawsuit on their hands. Normal wear and tear on a 2021 with 17k miles is absurd.

B) isolated case

if my seats are being fixed because of the stitching becoming undone already there is obviously some defects.
2019 50i with full Individual leather. I have two kids who were 7 and 9 when I bought the car. They eat in there a lot on the way to after school activities. I've been "careful" with it but kids are kids.
Appreciate 1
jcss812124.00
      10-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post

Very odd.
Merino leather is BMW’s top option leather and been used for decades. It has never had a durability issue.
They also said they will repair and not replace the bottom seat because of color matching issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by jcss812; 10-17-2022 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:13 PM   #9
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

B) isolated case

One of my X7s is high-mileage and older. 2019 with ~42K miles, Full/extended Ivory White/Night Blue Full Merino Leather. No issues so far with leather (looks perfect), but I can see some minor scratches on the plastic/vinyl wrapped pieces that you are referring to (which is what I was referring as normal wear-and-tear in my first comment). I think it is common among all other X7s around their 3rd year anniversary with 40K+ miles.... Those plastic or soft vinyl wrapped trim pieces (like the door cups) are really cheap.
Appreciate 1
jcss812124.00
      10-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #10
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

I can live with replacing the plastic/vinyl. I am just worried about the leather trim pieces showing peeling on the top layer with only 17k miles. What is my interior going to look like with another 17k miles lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #11
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
2019 50i with full Individual leather. I have two kids who were 7 and 9 when I bought the car. They eat in there a lot on the way to after school activities. I've been "careful" with it but kids are kids.
I have a 3 and 6 y/o in car seats in the rear but they're not allowed to eat and drinks are kept in their car seat cupholders. I get the 'kids' will be kids but the driver side also has issues and some small scuff marks on the leather around the center console which is strange because we've both been working from home so 99% of the time we've been in sweats lol.

I just cannot believe this is 'normal' wear and tear when i've never had issues like this in my previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:33 PM   #12
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can live with replacing the plastic/vinyl. I am just worried about the leather trim pieces showing peeling on the top layer with only 17k miles. What is my interior going to look like with another 17k miles lol.
There is only one photo in your post that shows scratches on the leather trim "first photo: (the last one seems to be negligible). If that is the only one, I think this is just one isolated issue from w ring, a key or watch... it happens. Do you have other photos or locations where you are seeing more damage than that single scratch or area?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #13
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
There is only one photo in your post that shows scratches on the leather trim "first photo: (the last one seems to be negligible). If that is the only one, I think this is just one isolated issue from w ring, a key or watch... it happens. Do you have other photos or locations where you are seeing more damage than that single scratch or area?
Take a look at the fourth picture, the damage is more like a cat punctured the leather. The first picture has the same type of damage right where the plastic meets leather. I can take better pictures later and include some other trim areas where the leather is scuffed later this evening.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:47 PM   #14
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at the fourth picture, the damage is more like a cat punctured the leather. The first picture has the same type of damage right where the plastic meets leather. I can take better pictures later and include some other trim areas where the leather is scuffed later this evening.
If you have more leather-damaged areas than just those two area, then you might have a good basis with BMW for a warranty claim. Just make sure you can reasonably explain how the damages appeared without you causing it with a ring, watch, key or anything that might have scratched them (especially if those are 2-4 isolated areas only).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:53 PM   #15
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you have more leather-damaged areas than just those two area, then you might have a good basis with BMW for a warranty claim. Just make sure you can reasonably explain how the damages appeared without you causing it with a ring, watch, key or anything that might have scratched them (especially if those are 2-4 isolated areas only).
I showed them everything when I took it in for the seats, BWMNA said it was superficial and they would fix the seats instead of replacing them because of color matching issues.

I'm waiting on a reply from BMWNA through BBB, i'm hopeful that they will 'repair' them if they wont replace the pieces.
>fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 04:26 PM   #16
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

How can they repair them? I mean, seriously, re-stitching??!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #17
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Remove seat, remove cover. Turn inside out and restitch. Reinstall and install with new hog rings. Using hog ring pliers to crimp the new rings. Simple fix. I used to do this all the time when I worked for Toyota.

However the 17k miles that this vehicle has on it is concerning to me.. should not be happening.

It used to happen all the time. However it was with cars with 80-90k miles…
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #18
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
SA manager said they will remove the seat cover from the seat and repair it... I have a feeling this is not going to go well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #19
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
SA manager said they will remove the seat cover from the seat and repair it... I have a feeling this is not going to go well.

It will be fine. As my previous post states. You will never notice it… if it’s done correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:07 PM   #20
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post

Very odd.
While I most def agree with you re: merio being the top leather, it is not as durable as vernasca leather but it is much softer and comfortable. Ivory white interior here and I use sonax/meguiars to clean the leather and BMW lotion to condition the leather TWICE a month and I STILL see wear on the drivers arm rest and drivers outer upper and lower bolsters. 2020 w/45k and the leather is still wearing with meticulous care? SMH

Quote:
Our '20 w/ 45k has showed any of the plastic peeling or chipping and we follow the same food/drink policy as you and I also give it meticulous care. Definitely not normal imo. I hope they replace it for you. Im taking ours in for arm rest discoloration/wear and the drivers upper and lower seat bolsters starting to crack
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #21
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Remove seat, remove cover. Turn inside out and restitch. Reinstall and install with new hog rings. Using hog ring pliers to crimp the new rings. Simple fix. I used to do this all the time when I worked for Toyota.

However the 17k miles that this vehicle has on it is concerning to me.. should not be happening.

It used to happen all the time. However it was with cars with 80-90k miles…
Thanks for the explanation, I'm not so worried about the repair but the cause of it failing with only 17k miles and the other issues I'm having. I'm literally scared to touch anything except the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:16 PM   #22
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, I'm not so worried about the repair but the cause of it failing with only 17k miles and the other issues I'm having. I'm literally scared to touch anything except the steering wheel.
I agree. As I said 17k miles is concerning. It does look like the top stitch was severed by something. Or the knot underneath came loose and then Started to work its way out.
Appreciate 0