BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Engine shuts off after opening drivers door

10-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
joeruby1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription

Engine shuts off after opening drivers door

Hi all, 2023 X7 M60i, i cannot figure out how turn this off: when arrive and put the car into park and open drivers door the engine will shut. If im sitting parked for a while and open the door it won't shut. Checked all settings and cant seek to turn this feature off. Any help?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
themama
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

by any chance, is the Auto Start Stop kicking in right before you put in park?
Can you try doing the same sequence from sport mode instead of comfort mode and see if the car shuts off then as well? ( assuming you stopped from default comfort mode during your previous observation)
Appreciate 1
MAXKONG28.50
      10-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #3
joeruby1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
by any chance, is the Auto Start Stop kicking in right before you put in park?
Can you try doing the same sequence from sport mode instead of comfort mode and see if the car shuts off then as well? ( assuming you stopped from default comfort mode during your previous observation)
Yeah its not that
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
Jackieone
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Same here, but thank you at least now I know why it didn’t shut off sometimes. I did try to open the door just a little bit before the car fully stop but it didn’t help. Car will still shut off after put into P.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 02:22 AM   #5
steven21
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x7

Hi, do you know the solution?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #6
guywithcat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

This is automatic. If you are not in sport mode and you put it in park and open the door, it turns off the motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #7
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithcat View Post
This is automatic. If you are not in sport mode and you put it in park and open the door, it turns off the motor.
That is correct. I also want to drive this thing off a cliff when I get out of it with it running and they Key or phone is in my pocket. The three beep thing is supper annoying. 2020 X5 did not do that. This 2023 X7 does.

My garages are out back so I walk up the path to get my cars. I usually go up and get it and leave it out front of the house and leave it running while in at getting my coffee or a bag etc. as soon as I leave the range the damn thing beeps LOUD three times. I think this is because I have it to lock when I walk away. And because it’s still running it tried to lock it.

Anyways. I reached out to BimmerCode and they don’t have anything yet to code the IDrive 8.

This will be the fist thing I turn off when I can code.

Other than that I love this vehicle!! And the AC is ice cold if you set it up correctly! No issues. Really nice. The auto start stop doesn’t bother me one bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #8
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Quote:
That is correct. I also want to drive this thing off a cliff when I get out of it with it running and they Key or phone is in my pocket. The three beep thing is supper annoying. 2020 X5 did not do that. This 2023 X7 does.

My garages are out back so I walk up the path to get my cars. I usually go up and get it and leave it out front of the house and leave it running while in at getting my coffee or a bag etc. as soon as I leave the range the damn thing beeps LOUD three times. I think this is because I have it to lock when I walk away. And because it's still running it tried to lock it.

Anyways. I reached out to BimmerCode and they don't have anything yet to code the IDrive 8.

Other than that I love this vehicle!! And the AC is ice cold if you set it up correctly! No issues. Really nice. The auto start stop doesn't bother me one bit.
Maybe you should share your ac setup with that other thread. I can't imagine bmw making a hot/cold climate vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

Quote:

My garages are out back so I walk up the path to get my cars. I usually go up and get it and leave it out front of the house and leave it running while in at getting my coffee or a bag etc. as soon as I leave the range the damn thing beeps LOUD three times. I think this is because I have it to lock when I walk away. And because it’s still running it tried to lock it.

Anyways. I reached out to BimmerCode and they don’t have anything yet to code the IDrive 8.

Other than that I love this vehicle!! And the AC is ice cold if you set it up correctly! No issues. Really nice. The auto start stop doesn’t bother me one bit.
This was super annoying. The car would honk the horn a few times. But AFAIK, there's an option in iDrive to turn if off, I cant remember where it is but mine doesn't do it any more. I'll see if I can remember the steps.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 05:37 PM   #10
collector28
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE  [0.00]
2022 Audi  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
Quote:

This was super annoying. The car would honk the horn a few times. But AFAIK, there's an option in iDrive to turn if off, I cant remember where it is but mine doesn't do it any more. I'll see if I can remember the steps.
If you find the setting, let me know. It's very annoying, I stepped outside the car and was in front of it when it blasted the horn in my ear.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #11
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let me know if you find the setting.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #12
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi6488 View Post
Maybe you should share your ac setup with that other thread. I can't imagine bmw making a hot/cold climate vehicle.
Probably. But there is a mixed bag of thoughts in there. Some people like me think it works great. But I’m not in Florida. So for my region… I have no issues.

Some other people are ready to sell the car because of the proclaimed AC issue.

There is no winning that thread. It will just flame up again.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #13
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

OMG, the horn honking... dumbest thing ever. I got home at like 2am and wanted to move another car out of my way on the driveway and the horn honked right when I opened the door and put one foot outside. I was so pissed. We need to solve this issue. It's gotten me like five times and I keep getting angrier every time it happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:04 PM   #14
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector28 View Post
If you find the setting, let me know. It's very annoying, I stepped outside the car and was in front of it when it blasted the horn in my ear.
Quote:

Thank you!
It was what you thought, @Ace6180G07, I looked and the only thing I can think of that got the car to stop honking at me was turning off the comfort access lock when leaving/unlock when approaching. I'm okay with unlocking/locking at the door handle if it'll stop the car from honking at me as I step out with the engine running.

I believe the car honks to let you know that it cant lock the car as you're leaving because the car is still running. So this is the work around until we can code it off.

Last edited by Taktix1; 11-07-2022 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #15
joeruby1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by collector28 View Post
Quote:

Thank you!
It was what you thought, @Ace6180G07, I looked and the only thing I can think of that got the car to stop honking at me was turning off the comfort access lock when leaving/unlock when approaching. I'm okay with unlocking/locking at the door handle if it'll stop the car from honking at me as I step out with the engine running.

I believe the car honks to let you know that it cant lock the car as you're leaving because the car is still running. So this is the work around until we can code it off.
That is correct
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I have mine set to never make a noise when it locks or unlocks. Have you tried this?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #17
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I have mine set to never make a noise when it locks or unlocks. Have you tried this?
It’s not the beeping lock unlock noise. I have that turned off. The horn honks when you leave the engine running and you walk away from the vehicle. I have it set to lock automatically when I walk away.

That’s when the horn honks three times. Loud as F…

Try it out sometime.. if you have to LCI you will know what I am talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #18
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks that’s what I thought. So work around for now is not to lock using the proximity area. (Lock when walking away with key fob in the pocket or digital key)

I’ll probably disable that feature for now. At least for the winter anyways.

No coding available yet for iDrive 8 from bimmer code. Hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #19
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks that’s what I thought. So work around for now is not to lock using the proximity area. (Lock when walking away with key fob in the pocket or digital key)

I’ll probably disable that feature for now. At least for the winter anyways.

No coding available yet for iDrive 8 from bimmer code. Hopefully soon.
Yeah, you can leave the unlock as approaching on but the lock while leaving is definitely the culprit for that annoying honking.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #20
crew_member
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeruby1 View Post
Hi all, 2023 X7 M60i, i cannot figure out how turn this off: when arrive and put the car into park and open drivers door the engine will shut. If im sitting parked for a while and open the door it won't shut. Checked all settings and cant seek to turn this feature off. Any help?
"Turn off after opening door" will not shut off your engine after opening door!

This item implies shutting down media system WHEN the engine is turned off

If "ON" - media system switch off after opening door WHEN the engine is turned off

If "OFF" - media system still "on" after opening door WHEN the engine is turned off.
Appreciate 0