E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > v33? and 30k mile service, 328 loaner review!!!

12-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

v33? and 30k mile service, 328 loaner review!!!

Before the Dealer: So.. I brought my car in for it's 30k mile service which upon doing a search for what they actually ends up being a look over of the car. So, upon realing this what I did was have the SA address some nagging issues that my car and change the oil which the car was crying for.

1) My fuse blew out to the door actuators causing the doors to be unable to be opened by the key fob or the button on the dash "Fuse# 54). I did some research on the forums and found the actuators were going out. I talked to the service tech who I picked to do my car ( I sold him some e36 contour rims for dirt cheap back in the day) and he told me that if the fuse is replaced they won't do anything about it but he said there was a bulletin out for it and that he would get the actual acuators replaced for me.

2) One night when I started up the car the I-Drive froze and I got a SOS Sign on the SES with a line through it. The I-Drive did not do anything and after stopping the car for 15 min the I-Drive went back to normal. This has happened 3 times in the last 5k miles.

3) When I started up the car in the morning I got this loud ticking sound coming from the engine bay which would die down when the car warmed up but was still slightly there. I did some research here as well and founf out that it could be wastegate issues. I told my tech guy as well and he also said there was a bulletin for it but he would try and get the wastegates replaced as well.

At the Dealer: I bring the car in and had e-mailed them in advance about getting a loaner. I get there, drop the car off, asked for my loaner and hey said I did not request one.. WTF?? I was irked but the SA had been really cool with me in the past and I told him that I did request one through an e-mail. He said that he did not get it but I made arrangements before hand so I was all good. I call my girl to come pick me up. They said the car would be ready on Monday.

Later On: One of the SA call me around 4pm and said they had a loaner available. He also told me that they had to replace the actuators, the wastegates, and do a software update which was required alongside the work. I asked him about the update and asked him which update I was getting in fear of the "turbo lag". He told me I was getting v33??? Is he BSing me?

I agreed to the update and he told me he also had a loaner return and if I wanted it that I shaould come in and get it. I get in and asked him again about the lag and he said that I had nothing to worry about and that the new program did something with the wastegate opening and closing and that the car should feel exactly the same as it did before with better shifting and faster i-drive controls (it was a little slow before).. so he brought me out to the loaner..

a sweet ass.. 2008 e90 328i at first I was hoping for another 335i or hell even a X3.. I always wanted to go off roading in a BMW.. but, I have never drove any other newer BMW other than my old 325i.. SO I would put the car through it paces:

I have a 07 e90 335i, sports package, aluminum trim int, dakota leather, etc... What I got was a premium package 328i w/ wood interior in JB. I have to say when I first sat inside the car it felt a little "warmer" than my 335i. The only differences I noted were: The radio nobs were different, the auto shifter was different as well (it had grooves in it), the fake leather seats were a tad more comfortable than my dakota leather.

Power: I miss my 335i. The 328 does not have the brute force of the 335i. I will say that the power delivery is nice and smooth and it does get up there. Where at times my 335i feels like a wind-up toy where I floor it, it feels like it winds up, and then flies. The 328i just screams from the get-go but when I anticipated the car to keep going.. it just fell flat on it's face. Disappointing... but for those who don't want those extra 70 ponies and 100lbs of torque it would be perfect. Personally if I had a choice other than my 335i I would have gotten a 330i...

Ride: It had the stock 17'' w/ run-flats on it. I have the sport package 18'' w/ runflats and it seemed to have a harsher ride? I found this wierd.

Thats it.. thanks for listening guys...
      12-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Good luck on the progman update!!! Let us know how it feels - But I would verify the version because the progman that fixes the lag (V32) is not supposed to be out until early January.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Good luck on the progman update!!! Let us know how it feels - But I would verify the version because the progman that fixes the lag (V32) is not supposed to be out until early January.
-Yea, I had a feeling the guy was BSing me and didn't know what the heck he was talking about. I was fixated on the 29.2 and he probably threw in a huge number to make me feel better.. oh well.. the damamge is done.. I just hope she drives as well as she used to come tuesday..
      12-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
I think the ticking sound when you start your car is normal....not necessarily the actuators.

that being said, let us know how it feels!