BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

10-22-2022, 10:06 PM   #1
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

US market - upgrade to laser light questions

I searched for answers but really didn't find related to my questions regarding the laser lights.
I mainly care about the low beam output and coverage, don't really care for the anti-glaring or if the low beam is LED/Laser.

1. For LOW beam, is there any difference between standard LED and upgraded laser lights? My understanding is the laser lights is only for high beam and as the DOT approval just passing, it's still not enabled and no timeline on it.
Read this but doesn't seem to answer my question https://www.bmwakron.com/blogs/1468/...ealer-near-me/

2. Is there any special animation with the laser lights when you unlock or turn on the lights?

3. Is the $1k option worth getting if in the US?

I'm quite happy with the standard LED lights on our 45e but I heard from forum members iX standard LED lights aren't that bright and have yellow hue.
      10-22-2022, 10:43 PM   #2
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Never mind on the #1, found the answer
https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...2&postcount=55

Laser is only for the high beams, no difference on low beam whether you upgrade to laser lights or not.
      10-23-2022, 02:02 AM   #3
rogercheng3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

i am actually interested myself in retrofitting my current led lights to laser lights when theyre available as i noticed the led lights do have a faint yellow hue when turned on at night. came from a 45e with laser lights and those were really clear(whiteish)/bright than on the iX, pretty disappointed

in this video you can see that there is blue line that lights up for the laserlight option
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13996.50
      10-23-2022, 02:27 PM   #4
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercheng3 View Post
i am actually interested myself in retrofitting my current led lights to laser lights when theyre available as i noticed the led lights do have a faint yellow hue when turned on at night. came from a 45e with laser lights and those were really clear(whiteish)/bright than on the iX, pretty disappointed

in this video you can see that there is blue line that lights up for the laserlight option
Didn't know the blue strips light up. That's a small but cool touch.
I guess I'll add the laser lights to the build.
      10-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercheng3 View Post

I had a look at the parts diagrams and it appears that the LED drivers are the same for both the Laser and Regular headlights. The laser light is a distinct 3rd light (see attached) that activates when driving above 60kmh/36mph

On the retrofit topic you’re out of luck. It’s been discussed in a couple of forums now that the IX is not at all coding friendly. 97% of the module coding files are stored in the cloud and only accessible by BMW authorised connections and the files that are available are trimmed which require decoding. Since only the MGU, RAM and CCU module files are available offline the coding options available are very limited. Unless a BMW dealer is willing and able to perform the retrofit you’re going to be stuck with the LED lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Paladin15641.50
skim141.50
      10-24-2022, 01:58 PM   #6
ThomasWeiss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50

Very interesting hugo_nz ! I always thought that another difference between LED and Laser was that Laser lights are "adaptive", meaning that they're able to rotate left/right when turning. But from what you're saying, that wouldn't be the case? Unless LED lights can rotate as well, which I doubt?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #7
rogercheng3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWeiss View Post
Very interesting hugo_nz ! I always thought that another difference between LED and Laser was that Laser lights are "adaptive", meaning that they're able to rotate left/right when turning. But from what you're saying, that wouldn't be the case? Unless LED lights can rotate as well, which I doubt?
can confirm led does not rotate, but my they are much dimmer than my laser lights on the 45e
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #8
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWeiss View Post
The technical literature on this is a bit light, but I think the cornering/follow the road function happens inside the LEDs now using the matrix function, rather than motorising the entire lens.

The laser quipped head lights also add a dedicated cornering lamp for tight corners.
      10-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #9
ThomasWeiss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50

My xDrive50 arrived today at the dealership so I dropped by to see it. Got to discuss with a sales rep who said that the retrofit would probably be $6,000 to $7,000, so "not worth it", to which I agree
Appreciate 0