bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-24-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

JB4 v JB+

I'm just about to take delivery of my M240i Xdrive

If I'm not planning any bolt ons is there any advantage in getting the Jb4 over the Jb+ performance wise?

I'm not interested in logs or obsessing over AFR's. I just want a simple plug in and forget.

If I fitted the JB4 I would only use map 1 (3 psi) or map 2 (4psi).

I'm just planning a K&N panel filter an running a JB+ in the standard 3 o'clock position which is probably = 4 psi.

My question is, will map 2 Jb4 have any advantages over JB+ 3 o'clock position In terms of power delivery?
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Based on a recent YouTube video I watched the guy had a side-by-side screenshot of a pull to about 130 mph with the JB+ and JB4 in a newer B58 BMW. They were almost identical with the settings you described.

FWIW, I have a K&N drop-in and JB+ and run the car 90% of the time in Sport Individual. I'm so addicted to its performance and for the first time in my life I crave getting red lights. However, I'm sure in about a year I'll be ready for a little more and plan to get the AA catted DP and take advantage of the 100% trade-in on the JB+ for the JB4.
Appreciate 4
      10-25-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Based on a recent YouTube video I watched the guy had a side-by-side screenshot of a pull to about 130 mph with the JB+ and JB4 in a newer B58 BMW. They were almost identical with the settings you described.

FWIW, I have a K&N drop-in and JB+ and run the car 90% of the time in Sport Individual. I'm so addicted to its performance and for the first time in my life I crave getting red lights. However, I'm sure in about a year I'll be ready for a little more and plan to get the AA catted DP and take advantage of the 100% trade-in on the JB+ for the JB4.
Thanks for the response.

Just wanted to check if I was missing anything in my decision.

Seems if you don't plan on running bolt ons or anything above map 2 and have no desire to run data logs then it seems the JB+ is the right option.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i E92 View Post
Thanks for the response.

Seems if you don't plan on running bolt ons or anything above map 2 and have no desire to run data logs then it seems the JB+ is the right option.
At least for the new M240i, I can't imagine anyone not falling in love with the JB+ on a stock car, especially for the price!
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #5
Alpine Flyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i xDrive

Quote:
At least for the new M240i, I can't imagine anyone not falling in love with the JB+ on a stock car, especially for the price!
You are not making it any easier for my plan to drive another 6 months without mods
Appreciate 1
PP3121359.00
      10-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #6
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Flyer View Post
You are not making it any easier for my plan to drive another 6 months without mods
I don't know where you live, but if "Alpine" is any indication then you're likely at a high altitude and will really love it!

Nearly 40 HP/TQ for $240, 2-3 minute install, and 100% credit towards a JB4 within a year. In Sport and Sport Plus I really believe the car is smoother than factory.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

[COLOR="Magenta"][COLOR="Red"]Seems if you don't plan on running bolt ons or anything above map 2 and have no desire to run data logs then it seems the JB+ is the right option.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
What setting is yours on? 3 o'clock?

Is it night & day compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #8
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What setting is yours on? 3 o'clock?

Is it night & day compared to stock?
Yes, 3 o'clock (default).

Night & day? No. I would consider night & day going from stock to DP, tune and E85. Is the JB+ obvious you did something? Definitely!

I'm knocking on my wood desk as I type this... but so far it's a no-brainer!
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 12:42 PM   #9
Alpine Flyer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't know where you live, but if "Alpine" is any indication then you're likely at a high altitude and will really love it!

Nearly 40 HP/TQ for $240, 2-3 minute install, and 100% credit towards a JB4 within a year. In Sport and Sport Plus I really believe the car is smoother than factory.
Can't resist, will be ordering one soon! Easy install, trade up, pretty cool. Glad you're saying it's smooth in Sport Plus. Alpine only refers to my car's color. I'm near sea level. Once visited Colorado, it was Awesome, even w/less hp Now I gotta decide on an intake or just a filter replacement. We can compare notes when I install my JB+. Will post some Dragys 👍
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
      10-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The new models run high boost from stock; in optimal conditions, the stock is running 20 PSI. Adding 3-4 PSI on top of that without the ability to datalog is not a good idea, in my opinion

I recommend you get the Jb4 and use their absolute map, which limits your PSI to keep it safe in all conditions.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #11
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Can't resist, will be ordering one soon! Easy install, trade up, pretty cool. Glad you're saying it's smooth in Sport Plus. Alpine only refers to my car's color. I'm near sea level. Once visited Colorado, it was Awesome, even w/less hp Now I gotta decide on an intake or just a filter replacement. We can compare notes when I install my JB+. Will post some Dragys 👍
I went with the K&N drop-in filter after watching this...

If I were to do an intake it would likely be the Eventuri. Way overpriced, and mostly a sound mod, but I've heard great things about the sounds it makes...

https://www.eventuri.net/products/bmw-g42-m240i-b58/
Appreciate 3
      10-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #12
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The new models run high boost from stock; in optimal conditions, the stock is running 20 PSI. Adding 3-4 PSI on top of that without the ability to datalog is not a good idea, in my opinion

I recommend you get the Jb4 and use their absolute map, which limits your PSI to keep it safe in all conditions.
According to Dinan tech support on their Dinantronics Sport Tuner (basically the same thing as the JB+) they said overboost is only an issue when running a DP and that's when a tuner with more control should be used to limit boost, as you suggested. That's why I plan to go with the JB4 once I do a DP.

I've done a few datalogs (before buying the JB+) with the OBDLink CX and I cannot recall ever seeing 20 psi. You got me curious so I just went through several datalogs and the highest boost I could find was 16.68 psi.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #13
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:

What map number are you referring to?

Is this a set custom map or does it adapt to certain parameters?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
Alpine Flyer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've done a few datalogs (before buying the JB+) with the OBDLink CX and I cannot recall ever seeing 20 psi. You got me curious so I just went through several datalogs and the highest boost I could find was 16.68 psi.
*puts OBDLink CX on future buy list
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:34 PM   #15
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
*puts OBDLink CX on future buy list
Don't forget BimmerCode and BimmerLink
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
According to Dinan tech support on their Dinantronics Sport Tuner (basically the same thing as the JB+) they said overboost is only an issue when running a DP and that's when a tuner with more control should be used to limit boost, as you suggested. That's why I plan to go with the JB4 once I do a DP.

the 20 PSI is in optimal conditions. 16-17 PSI is expected on most days, but sometimes the car will target and hit 20 PSI on stock, if you are blindly adding 3-4 PSI, you are going to be at almost 24 PSI on a stock car, with stock cats and regular 91/93 Octane.

This is not over boosting as over boosting is when the car is hitting a target higher than the set target by the ECU. In this case, the ECU is setting boost at 20 PSI and the car is hitting 20 PSI

Quote:
What map number are you referring to?

Is this a set custom map or does it adapt to certain parameters?

Map0: Stock tuning, fully disable JB4
Map1: Additive map with peak of 3psi over stock added (91 octane)
Map2: Additive map with peak of 4psi over stock added (91-93 octane)
Map3: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added (93+ octane)
Map4: Absolute target map with peak of 20psi target (93+ and/or E30 octane) suggested for higher boost models like G chassis, Supra, and Z4. EWG required for proper control.
Map5: Absolute target map with peak of 22psi target (E30+ fuel) suggested for higher boost models like G chassis, Supra, and Z4. EWG required for proper control.
Map6: Custom tuning map allowing both additive (below 10psi) and absolute (above 10psi) targeting. Setting RPM1500 boost below 5.7psi will make entire map6 additive, setting above 6psi will make entire map6 absolute target.
Map7: WMI map (boost varies based on WMI additive, meth flow, and other criteria)
Map8: VALET / Low Boost Map

Map 1/2/3 adds a set amount of boost to the Stock PSI. That's how every piggyback works. These are called additive maps.

Map 4/5/: set a target limit regardless of the PSI boost. this is a Jb4-only feature that other piggyback can't offer. It's called absolute maps.

Absolute maps are the best maps to run on high-boost stock applications like this car, especially when paired with low-quality gas (91 or 93).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #17
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

Quote:

I debated back and forth between the JB+ and the Dinan Sport Performance tune as they are almost the same price, but the Dinan has Bluetooth app control for boost levels, so I went with it. It is supposed to be delivered today (thank you X-PH-Mike). I will let you know how my M240i does with it after installation. I will try to get some draggy times and perhaps we can compare. I suspect performance will be very close between them.
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
      10-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #18
Alpine Flyer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc3llr8 View Post
don't forget bimmercode and bimmerlink :d
👍🤐
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #19
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
the 20 PSI is in optimal conditions. 16-17 PSI is expected on most days, but sometimes the car will target and hit 20 PSI on stock, if you are blindly adding 3-4 PSI, you are going to be at almost 24 PSI on a stock car, with stock cats and regular 91/93 Octane.

This is not over boosting as over boosting is when the car is hitting a target higher than the set target by the ECU. In this case, the ECU is setting boost at 20 PSI and the car is hitting 20 PSI
The rain is gone so I went out and took a (first time) log since installing the JB+. Do you see anything of concern with this data? I'm not sure what the correct procedure is to test the boost, so I simply floored it while going about 55 mph and let off a couple seconds later.

BTW, is the boost in this log the TRUE boost, or the boost the ECU thinks it's sending which does not include the additional 3.5 - 4 psi the JB+ is adding?

The first table is sorted by boost: high to low
The second table is unsorted and a reference of the data before and after max boost.
Attached Images

Last edited by XC3LLR8; 10-25-2022 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #20
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
I debated back and forth between the JB+ and the Dinan Sport Performance tune as they are almost the same price, but the Dinan has Bluetooth app control for boost levels, so I went with it. It is supposed to be delivered today (thank you X-PH-Mike). I will let you know how my M240i does with it after installation. I will try to get some draggy times and perhaps we can compare. I suspect performance will be very close between them.
I simply went with the JB+ because of the 100% trade-in and the 1-plug setup. The tech support guy with Dinan was amazing and I almost went with it just because of the friendly service.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #21
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

JB+

You didn't state how much of a gain your butt dyno felt from the tune. Did it pull smoothly and drive smoothly in normal, part-throttle, driving. Did you record any 0 - 60 or other times?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #22
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
You didn't state how much of a gain your butt dyno felt from the tune. Did it pull smoothly and drive smoothly in normal, part-throttle, driving. Did you record any 0 - 60 or other times?
Thanks!
Butt dyno definitely had a $240 value! The majority of my driving is normal, part-throttle, and it's very smooth - zero complaints. Unfortunately, I did not record any 0-60 times. I'm guessing a couple tenths?

The one time I did a proper launch-control pull my wife was with me and nearly vomited in the car. I've had PTSD since then.
Appreciate 1