BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-24-2022, 06:40 PM   #1
Harrisk
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M40i

2023 x4 m40i aftermarket wheels

Pretty inexperienced with wheels sizing. Would greatly appreciate a little peace of mind on purchasing after market wheels.

struggling with what is acceptable aftermarket wheel sizes for a 2023 X4 M40i. My new X4 is just starting production now. It is coming with 20" performance nonRFTs. I plan on putting on separate 19" winter tires/wheels on pickup. BMW offers 1 winter wheel/tire package with pretty lackluster rims.

OEM 19" are 7.5x19, offset 32 (to the best of my knowledge)
Tire rack lists rim widths 7.5-9.5 as options.
Offset 25-38 as options.

I'm scared to buy just anything listed in these wide ranges. Tire rack rep says all are acceptable for the vehicle.

As the rim width goes up, should the offset go up or down in relation to stay towards OEM type ratio?? Would greatly appreciate any guidance.
I'm less concerned with aesthetics and most concerned with potential mechanical issues that could occur from improper sizing.

Thank you for any help on the subject!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 10:04 PM   #2
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
  [6.83]
Vibe Motorsports in LA. Ask for Arman…he knows his stuff big time and just hooked me up with a beautiful set of wheels and tires

I’ve heard good things about Nemesis in Chicago as well, but my vote is for Vibe
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #3
Nssmith1056
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 m40i

Element Wheels in PHX is a good one as well. You can find them online.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Since you did not ask for alternate wheel and tire dealers, I'll attempt to answer you;

As the rim width goes up, the offset should go up to keep the face of the wheel from moving it's position vs the fender. A general rule of thumb would be that for every 0.5" of additional width you would add 5mm of offset to retain the factory "poke". That said, if you go too wide, you can run into strut/spring clearance issues. Here is a good website where you can play with different wheel and tire sizes:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Before deciding to go with a 19" wheel, look at tire selection availability. 20" is certainly a more popular size vs. 19" in terms of available tire combos.

If you truly don't care about aesthetics, stick with a 7.5" width wheel, 30-35 offset and the narrowest winter tire you are comfortable with, in a square set-up.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:48 PM   #5
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Since you did not ask for alternate wheel and tire dealers, I'll attempt to answer you;

As the rim width goes up, the offset should go up to keep the face of the wheel from moving it's position vs the fender. A general rule of thumb would be that for every 0.5" of additional width you would add 5mm of offset to retain the factory "poke". That said, if you go too wide, you can run into strut/spring clearance issues. Here is a good website where you can play with different wheel and tire sizes:

Before deciding to go with a 19" wheel, look at tire selection availability. 20" is certainly a more popular size vs. 19" in terms of available tire combos.

If you truly don't care about aesthetics, stick with a 7.5" width wheel, 30-35 offset and the narrowest winter tire you are comfortable with, in a square set-up.
OP seemed uninformed enough that it seemed best to direct him to professional help. I researched a bit on my own and benefited from shared knowledge from a few forum buddies. I ultimately went with Arman’s guidance (which proved dead on accurate)

My primary concern was ensuring the correct offset tbh; had largely settled on all other variables

Last edited by Rottweiler; 10-25-2022 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2134.00
      10-25-2022, 02:11 PM   #6
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
OP seemed uninformed enough that it seemed best to direct him to professional help. I researched a bit on my own and benefited from shared knowledge from a few forum buddies; but ultimately went with Arman’s guidance (which proved dead on accurate)
I understand. I could have worded my reply slightly differently. Ultimately, just trying to share my knowledge as I have pieced together a few sets over the years and OP seemed interested in learning more.
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler4061.00
      10-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
Harrisk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
Vibe Motorsports in LA. Ask for Arman…he knows his stuff big time and just hooked me up with a beautiful set of wheels and tires

I've heard good things about Nemesis in Chicago as well, but my vote is for Vibe
Busy week. Haven't called yet. Curiously, their website showed no hits for wheels for my vehicle in their built in search.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 02:09 PM   #8
Harrisk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post

Thanks for the info! I feel like buying from tire-rack is the safest option. If there's any issue with the wheel fit, quick exchange is easiest with them.
Appreciate 0