E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Weird Synapse BOV behaviour

11-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #1
Spark365
Private
Rep
Drives: Infiniti g35

Weird Synapse BOV behaviour

Hi everyone,

My Synapse BOV is acting pretty weirdly

When I do a pull on 3rd gear, and release the throttle from WOT, sometimes there will be a big delay from the throttle releasing to the "woush" sound. Also, it will be a lot quieter than the normal sound. Is it really a BOV problem or maybe the throttle plate doesn't close properly? Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 02:41 AM   #2
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark365 View Post
Hi everyone,

When I do a pull on 3rd gear, and release the throttle from WOT, sometimes there will be a big delay from the throttle releasing to the "woush" sound. Also, it will be a lot quieter than the normal sound. Is it really a BOV problem or maybe the throttle plate doesn't close properly? Any help would be appreciated
Hi,

How old is your BOV? Maybe it just need a service (new gaskets + fresh oil) ?
      11-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #3
Spark365
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Hi,

How old is your BOV? Maybe it just need a service (new gaskets + fresh oil) ?
I don't know exactly, I would say a couple of years. I tried pressing the bov by hand and it was actuating correctly. Also just to say that I'm stage 2 mhd right now with FBO
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 03:38 AM   #4
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
I don't know exactly, I would say a couple of years. I tried pressing the bov by hand and it was actuating correctly. Also just to say that I'm stage 2 mhd right now with FBO
Maybe it stucks sometimes depending on temperature (metal expands) and other parameters. At first, you can clean it and apply fresh oil (without changing gaskets). I do it sometimes on my Forge DV, I use some lithium grease, just a thin layer on all moving parts. Just be sure the grease is ok for high temps.
      11-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
If it's infrequent, it's normal. Has something to do with how the DME is controlling the throttle.

For example sometimes when I shift my MT quickly at WOT it will not vent at all, other times it may.
      11-10-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
Spark365
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
If it's infrequent, it's normal. Has something to do with how the DME is controlling the throttle.

For example sometimes when I shift my MT quickly at WOT it will not vent at all, other times it may.
It does exactly that, I was just afraid of boost surge on the turbos.
Appreciate 0