bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
Jerry Huang
Rep
Drives: G42 230

oil drain plug gasket size

Hey guys I have a 2022 230i and I’m thinking about doing the oil change by my self between the 9000 miles interval that bmw suggested. Any one know the size or part number of the oil drain plug gasket?
I tried to find it on Amazon but I find different sizes and I’m not sure which one is correct
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

I think most oil filters come with the drain plug gasket
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Huang View Post
Hey guys I have a 2022 230i and I’m thinking about doing the oil change by my self between the 9000 miles interval that bmw suggested. Any one know the size or part number of the oil drain plug gasket?
I tried to find it on Amazon but I find different sizes and I’m not sure which one is correct
A bit late the thread but when I changed the oil in my various cars I'd get the filter and the necessary o-rings and drain plug sealing ring (not a crush washer in this case) from the dealer's parts department.

The engines used a removable filter housing with a filter insert. The housing required a new o-ring to seal the housing to the block. One engine had some kind of an extension from the filter housing that whatever it seated into required a small o-ring. This in addition to the o-ring to seal the housing to the block. When I got the filter I made sure the necessary o-rings were present or the clerk handed over the package with the o-rings inside.

Link to show you what I'm talking about:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...SABEgIg1vD_BwE

The above just to reinforce the necessity to ensure all the parts all the correct parts are obtained prior to doing an oil/filter service.

Also in each car I had a new spare drain plug sealing ring and a new drain plug stashed in the center console storage bin just in case. And at home I had a spare housing. In fact I'd alternate between the housings. I'd remove the housing with the dirty filter then have at hand a clean housing with a new filter and new o-ring(s) with a bit of fresh oil on the o-ring(s). If the filter housing installed open end vertical I'd prefill with clean oil. (Techs told me they never bothered to do this.)

Thus I could get the filter housing with the dirty oil filter off and the clean filter housing with the new filter installed without having to get out from under the car. At the the same time I'd install the drain plug cleaned and with a new sealing ring. 'course I torqued the filter housing and drain plug as called for by the factory.

So when I got out from under the car there was no need to get under the car again.

Part of my clean up had me clean the just removed oil filter housing and put it away for use the next oil change.

Might add one time I mail ordered a filter element and assorted hardware. The filter element looked a bit different. I bought a factory filter element and compared the two side by side. There were enough differences I trashed the mail order filter and used the factory filter and never again went the mail order route.
Appreciate 0