BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Height Clearance with Roof Box

11-26-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 40i

X7 Height Clearance with Roof Box

Hi,

I'm starting to look for a cross rack for the 22 X7. I have a old garage with 83' clearance. I'm wondering if any of you have any setup that can meet this clearance.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I was in the process of looking for one, and now that you just mentioned this, I wonder if that is a good idea given that when I travel to a nearby state we got to a lot of shopping-mall parkings and hotel parking, I am afraind that the total height would exceed the typical height limit for most hotel interior parking and shopping mall parkings…

Despite how big the X7 is, for a small family, 3-4 members, it barely holds enough luggage space.. and leaves nothing for new purchase and stuff on the way back home…. Which is why am thinking of the roof box now but I also don’t want it to prevent me from using interior parking areas.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I was in the process of looking for one, and now that you just mentioned this, I wonder if that is a good idea given that when I travel to a nearby state we got to a lot of shopping-mall parkings and hotel parking, I am afraind that the total height would exceed the typical height limit for most hotel interior parking and shopping mall parkings…

Despite how big the X7 is, for a small family, 3-4 members, it barely holds enough luggage space.. and leaves nothing for new purchase and stuff on the way back home…. Which is why am thinking of the roof box now but I also don’t want it to prevent me from using interior parking areas.
A cargo box is a situational solution, not a year-round one. You take the 10 minutes to throw it up there when needed and take the 10 minutes to take it down when done. I do this 3-4 times a year, long weekend or weekly trips with 5-6 in the car.

As you have realized, there are parking garages and airports that will be causing anxiety, can’t use a car wash, causes wind noise, hurts fuel economy. That’s why getting a cargo box and roof rail system that’s easy-on/easy-off is being recommended by so many.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #4
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDDD0919 View Post
Hi,

I'm starting to look for a cross rack for the 22 X7. I have a old garage with 83' clearance. I'm wondering if any of you have any setup that can meet this clearance.

Thank you,
The X7 is 72” tall and there is no useful cargo box solution that is 10” tall including the crossbars unless you are just trying to transport skis.

I’ve got an old garage too. When we put up the cargo box we park the car outside. And in doing so we can get the biggest box possible with no limitations.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #5
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you,
The X7 is 72” tall and there is no useful cargo box solution that is 10” tall including the crossbars unless you are just trying to transport skis.

I’ve got an old garage too. When we put up the cargo box we park the car outside. And in doing so we can get the biggest box possible with no limitations.
It is for transportation of skis…
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 11:23 PM   #6
laozixiazi
Private
Rep
Drives: 435xi coupe

Quote:
A cargo box is a situational solution, not a year-round one. You take the 10 minutes to throw it up there when needed and take the 10 minutes to take it down when done. I do this 3-4 times a year, long weekend or weekly trips with 5-6 in the car.

As you have realized, there are parking garages and airports that will be causing anxiety, can’t use a car wash, causes wind noise, hurts fuel economy. That’s why getting a cargo box and roof rail system that’s easy-on/easy-off is being recommended by so many.
Do you have to get the OEM crossbars so you can do that in minutes? I heard the Thule ones are harder to remove when you don't need them?
on order: 2023 x7 m60i
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laozixiazi View Post
Do you have to get the OEM crossbars so you can do that in minutes? I heard the Thule ones are harder to remove when you don't need them?
That is correct.

The OEM crossbars require no tools, just turn the knob a few times, when removing or adding them it takes about 15 seconds per corner or 1 minute in total.

The cargo box is a different story as it takes 2 people to put it up on the roof and about 30 seconds per corner to set it down straight, tighten the knobs, double-check that it's centered, etc. or 5 minutes in total.

So that's why one needs to look at this as situational. When you need it, you put it up. When it's in the way, you take it down. It only takes 5-6 minutes each time depending on whether or not you want to remove the crossbars as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #8
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you're going to find a set of crossbars and a cargo box that combined is less than 10" tall. Assuming you use a 2 piece ski rack atop the car currently, I think that's the best you're going to get. That's what we use in our old garage. Just clears the door and the automatic garage door motor by a few inches.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #9
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think you're going to find a set of crossbars and a cargo box that combined is less than 10" tall. Assuming you use a 2 piece ski rack atop the car currently, I think that's the best you're going to get. That's what we use in our old garage. Just clears the door and the automatic garage door motor by a few inches.
I'm leaning towards that option. The Yakima Grand Tour lo is 10'' though
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 01:26 PM   #10
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
At 83" you won't prolly make anything besides the bare cross bars. My wife is supposed to check any hotels she books for trips where we use the box now. In Vegas at the Cosmo it fit in one entrance but not the other, but only the first level as the height reduced for sub levels. At DL the hotel we stayed it wouldn't fit, luckily they had a surface lot but no one liked to park in the garage so finding a spot was a struggle.

Worst case scenario is always take the box off and store in the room.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 03:12 PM   #11
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
At 83" you won't prolly make anything besides the bare cross bars. My wife is supposed to check any hotels she books for trips where we use the box now. In Vegas at the Cosmo it fit in one entrance but not the other, but only the first level as the height reduced for sub levels. At DL the hotel we stayed it wouldn't fit, luckily they had a surface lot but no one liked to park in the garage so finding a spot was a struggle.

Worst case scenario is always take the box off and store in the room.
I figured.

One of my friend has a Thule Alpine Vector available to sell. I'm debating to get it from him for $800 plus extra couple hundred for the bars or just Ski racks.

But the Thule looks so damn good.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 05:52 AM   #12
k23435
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I have a garage with 2205 mm (approx 87 inches) of clearance, and the only option that I could find that would fit was Thule aero bars + Thule alpine box. With this setup, there is additional 6mm (1/4 inch) of room.

As others have mentioned, I do not believe 83 inches is possible.

Personally, if a roof box is not possible then I would try to fit the skis inside the car.

Last edited by k23435; 11-29-2022 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #13
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23435 View Post
I have a garage with 2205 mm (approx 87 inches) of clearance, and the only option that I could find that would fit was Thule aero bars + Thule alpine box. With this setup, there is additional 6mm (1/4 inch) of room.

As others have mentioned, I do not believe 83 inches is possible.

Personally, if a roof box is not possible then I would try to fit the skis inside the car.
Do you have a picture of your setup? Kinda want to see how it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #14
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I figured.

One of my friend has a Thule Alpine Vector available to sell. I'm debating to get it from him for $800 plus extra couple hundred for the bars or just Ski racks.

But the Thule looks so damn good.
Is it still for sale? I kinda need one if you decide not to get it.

Also for ski's we plan to just throw them in a ski bag and put inside the vehicle. The X7 is so tall it makes it difficult to put the skis up and take them down from the top.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #15
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Also for ski's we plan to just throw them in a ski bag and put inside the vehicle. The X7 is so tall it makes it difficult to put the skis up and take them down from the top.

Ah, but that's where the Thule Snowpack 6 and the BMW running boards are your friend. Not hard at all with this setup, even in ski boots.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:20 PM   #16
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

Ah, but that's where the Thule Snowpack 6 and the BMW running boards are your friend. Not hard at all with this setup, even in ski boots.
Still, if you have the room, take skis off at the base area or lodge, throw them into a waterproof ski bag, carry them to the X7 and load them into the back, then drive off. Oh, forgot to add remote start your X7 about 10min prior to ensure it's nice and toasty when you get in.

Lengthwise skis should fit in between the captains chairs or drop the center part of the bench seat and slide them in there.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #17
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Still, if you have the room, take skis off at the base area or lodge, throw them into a waterproof ski bag, carry them to the X7 and load them into the back, then drive off. Lengthwise skis should fit in between the captains chairs or drop the center part of the bench seat and slide them in there.
We ski as a family, always 5 or 6 of us, so the 3rd row is in use and there is no room for skis in the passenger compartment. Even if there were only 4 of us, yes, the skis would fit between the captains but it's really just easier to use the roof rack. Dealing with ski bags is actually more labor intensive.

I stand on the running boards, each family member lines up, and they hand me their skis. Takes less than 60 seconds to get all 5-6 pairs of skis up there, close the bar, turn the lock, and drive off. Sometimes we stay for a long weekend at a condo that isn't ski-in so leaving the skis on the roof for the next day is a blessing and it leaves the passenger compartment clear if we decide to drive to a restaurant for dinner.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #18
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is it still for sale? I kinda need one if you decide not to get it.

He still has it. I just asked him and PM you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #19
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We ski as a family, always 5 or 6 of us, so the 3rd row is in use and there is no room for skis in the passenger compartment. Even if there were only 4 of us, yes, the skis would fit between the captains but it's really just easier to use the roof rack. Dealing with ski bags is actually more labor intensive.

I stand on the running boards, each family member lines up, and they hand me their skis. Takes less than 60 seconds to get all 5-6 pairs of skis up there, close the bar, turn the lock, and drive off. Sometimes we stay for a long weekend at a condo that isn't ski-in so leaving the skis on the roof for the next day is a blessing and it leaves the passenger compartment clear if we decide to drive to a restaurant for dinner.
I think I'm going with the ski rack option. It's only three of us for now and I do have the running boards. We don't do camping so roof box would be an overkill. Also my wife is a clean person and I can't imagine if the snow melts in the box and that could spill on our clothes.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:07 PM   #20
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I'm going with the ski rack option. It's only three of us for now and I do have the running boards. We don't do camping so roof box would be an overkill. Also my wife is a clean person and I can't imagine if the snow melts in the box and that could spill on our clothes.
I agree, and didn't use our cargo box for skiing purposes for those reasons. We pull up to the parking lot, open the rack, and we're off to the lift in about 60 seconds. Getting into the cargo box sounds messy and inconvenient.

Also I'd imagine that whichever skis are in the bottom of the box and farthest away from where you're standing would be hard to get out as you'd have to reach far across the car and down in the box. With 6 pairs of skis in there it sounds like a muscle pull waiting to happen.

Check out the Thule SnowPack L which holds 6 pairs of skis. It's what I use.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:14 PM   #21
k23435
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Do you have a picture of your setup? Kinda want to see how it looks like.
You can find a pic in an older thread with Thule Motion XT Alpine. Vector Alpine L is similar in dimensions, just not quite as wide.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=23
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 04:24 PM   #22
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23435 View Post
You can find a pic in an older thread with Thule Motion XT Alpine. Vector Alpine L is similar in dimensions, just not quite as wide.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=23
Looks awesome!

Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0