BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Garage Shenanigans

12-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Garage Shenanigans

In case you ever wondered what your X7 does when it’s in the garage alone…

Well, mine kept initiating the comfort access approach and lock cycle. You wonder why…well our garage is right up against our kitchen. We also hang the keys by the garage access door. And I’ve activated the digital card key plus the iPhone digital key.

So with the physical key being so close to the X7 by the door it would at times activate the approach lighting but not unlock all the time. I would open the door to the garage to grab something and would see the exterior lighting on. Had a battery charge warning one morning.

So I moved the key to my desk and just now use the digital key on my phone plus turned off the approach access on the X7.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but might be something to check.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Here is what you do. Put your key fob into a tin you get tea with. Your key fob battery will last for years as it blocks all radio signals searching for your car. You can even make a tinfoil envelope and it works just as good. I keep all my BMW, Porsche, etc... fobs in these tins.

I keep a extra tin out in my garage so when I wash my cars, the hose/water spray doesnt keep locking and unlocking the doors.

Buy your wife a few of these for Christmas and you keep the tins.
https://www.amazon.com/New-English-T...%2C138&sr=8-41

Last edited by MystroX5; 12-03-2022 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:00 AM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Here is what you do. Put your key fob into a tin you get tea with. Your key fob battery will last for years as it blocks all radio signals searching for your car. You can even make a tinfoil envelope and it works just as good. I keep all my BMW, Porsche, etc... fobs in these tins.

I keep a extra tin out in my garage so when I wash my cars, the hose/water spray doesnt keep locking and unlocking the doors.
Great idea. Cheaper than building a faraday cage in my garage…haha.
Will do that today. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

I know what you mean. Even walking in and out of my garage with my phone in my pocket unlocks it etc. Someone mentioned (on this forum) that Tesla has a setting to deactivate this feature automatically when the vehicle is home (obtained by GPS). That’s a great feature in my opinion. I don’t need it to lock in the garage as I walk away and if the robber gets into my garage there are a few more cars in there that they will go for first instead of the X7 that are unlocked all the time.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
I know what you mean. Even walking in and out of my garage with my phone in my pocket unlocks it etc. Someone mentioned (on this forum) that Tesla has a setting to deactivate this feature automatically when the vehicle is home (obtained by GPS). That’s a great feature in my opinion. I don’t need it to lock in the garage as I walk away and if the robber gets into my garage there are a few more cars in there that they will go for first instead of the X7 that are unlocked all the time.
Oh man, that is the answer right there. BMW should do that immediately. Have it disable at home. That's a total no brainer.
Appreciate 0