12-13-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
BMW CPO Warranty question

I finally found a CPO 2021 X7 M50i that matches my required options. Yay! I am planning to pick it up this Saturday. The vehicle's in-service date was 2 years ago. It has 18,000 miles. So it has 2 years and 32,000 miles left on the original 4-year/50,000-mile BMW factory warranty.

As a CPO, it was my understanding the BMW warranty would be extended by an additional 1 year plus add unlimited miles. So I "thought" my warranty would be for 3 years (original 2 remaining, plus 1 additional via BMW CPO warranty) and unlimited miles. I have a history of only keeping my vehicles for 3 years, and I drive about 16,000 miles per year, so I *thought* that I was good warranty-wise, for bumper-to-bumper coverage, for as long as I was likely to keep this vehicle (3 years).

When I talked via telephone with the F&I person at the dealership today, she told me - yes, the BMW CPO warranty would extend the original warranty an additional year and for unlimited miles (as I had thought). BUT, after I hit the original 4-year/50,000-mile warranty end point (which I would estimate would be in 2 years), the BMW CPO warranty would kick in and it covers LESS than the original BMW factory warranty. She cited a few non-maintenance things as being excluded, I believe including some electronics. I was driving and couldn't write notes. I plan to do some research on Wednesday.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what IS covered by the original 4-year/50,000-mile BMW factory warranty that is NOT covered by the BMW CPO warranty? Or if there is a comparison site somewhere that points out the differences?

I am fortunate to have the money to deal with an unexpected non-covered repair, but I just find comfort and peace-of-mind in knowing the vehicle is covered and I don't have any surprises. Since I normally buy new and I normally only keep my vehicles for 3 years, they have always been covered by a bumper-to-bumper mfg warranty that typically covered everything other than maintenance and wear-and-tear items.

I did find this BMW CPO What Is Not Covered document on the BMW website
https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...8508607260.pdf

I'm not asking for a debate about whether extended warranties are good or bad, I am focused on trying to learn and understand what will not be covered by the BMW CPO warranty that would have been covered by the original 4-year/50,000-mile BMW factory warranty. Thanks very much, in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:32 PM   #2
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

the original factory warranty covers basically everything but wear and tear.
everything aside from the maintenance section in the doc you found is covered by the factory warranty. (unless its wear or damage)
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:34 PM   #3
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
I finally found a CPO 2021 X7 M50i that matches my required options. Yay! I am planning to pick it up this Saturday. The vehicle's in-service date was 2 years ago. It has 18,000 miles. So it has 2 years and 32,000 miles left on the original 4-year/50,000-mile BMW factory warranty.

As a CPO, it was my understanding the BMW warranty would be extended by an additional 1 year plus add unlimited miles. So I "thought" my warranty would be for 3 years (original 2 remaining, plus 1 additional via BMW CPO warranty) and unlimited miles. I have a history of only keeping my vehicles for 3 years, and I drive about 16,000 miles per year, so I *thought* that I was good warranty-wise, for bumper-to-bumper coverage, for as long as I was likely to keep this vehicle (3 years).

When I talked via telephone with the F&I person at the dealership today, she told me - yes, the BMW CPO warranty would extend the original warranty an additional year and for unlimited miles (as I had thought). BUT, after I hit the original 4-year/50,000-mile warranty end point (which I would estimate would be in 2 years), the BMW CPO warranty would kick in and it covers LESS than the original BMW factory warranty. She cited a few non-maintenance things as being excluded, I believe including some electronics. I was driving and couldn't write notes. I plan to do some research on Wednesday.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what IS covered by the original 4-year/50,000-mile BMW factory warranty that is NOT covered by the BMW CPO warranty? Or if there is a comparison site somewhere that points out the [...]
Congratulations! We are in the same boat. CPO 2021 M50i here also. Just got mine two weeks ago and I’m thrilled. So basically, whatever it is that breaks in your car when your original warranty expires, it will not cover, usually how it seems to work. Just kidding of course. I remember reading a bit about it two weeks ago and concluding that it covers most of what the original warranty covers but I’m sure there is someone who actually has detailed knowledge of that and I’d love to hear it as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 06:22 AM   #4
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
the original factory warranty covers basically everything but wear and tear.
everything aside from the maintenance section in the doc you found is covered by the factory warranty. (unless its wear or damage)
Thanks very much. This is all disappointing to learn. I am a rather detailed person and pride myself on doing research and not being surprised - regarding any purchase. I am frustrated at myself for not proactively understanding the difference in CPO warranty coverage beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 06:54 AM   #5
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks very much. This is all disappointing to learn. I am a rather detailed person and pride myself on doing research and not being surprised - regarding any purchase. I am frustrated at myself for not proactively understanding the difference in CPO warranty coverage beforehand.
from a different point of view, the exclusion list, for the most part, are items that a defect would rear its head earlier in the life of the car.

Upkeep- most of that would be considered normal maintenance.

Suspension- the most expensive part of the system is the air suspension and its excluded from the exclusions ()

Body- aside from the headlights ($$$) most of thats not covered is cosmetic or wear.

Interior- mostly wear items.

it looks like the electronics are fully covered as well as the expensive mechanicals.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
from a different point of view, the exclusion list, for the most part, are items that a defect would rear its head earlier in the life of the car.

Upkeep- most of that would be considered normal maintenance.

Suspension- the most expensive part of the system is the air suspension and its excluded from the exclusions ()

Body- aside from the headlights ($$$) most of thats not covered is cosmetic or wear.

Interior- mostly wear items.

it looks like the electronics are fully covered as well as the expensive mechanicals.
Thank you again for that additional insight, I appreciate it!

If I knew how long I would ultimately keep this vehicle (likely 3 years, but could be shorter and could be longer), and if I had a crystal ball to tell me what (if anything) will break after year 2, an extended warranty decision would be super easy! I am blessed to be able to afford an unexpected repair bill. But I just prefer the peace-of-mind of warranty coverage and not having to worry about the cost (even if it costs be a little more in the long run). Always buying a new vehicle every 3 years and being fully covered by a factory warranty has meant I have always been covered.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you again for that additional insight, I appreciate it!

If I knew how long I would ultimately keep this vehicle (likely 3 years, but could be shorter and could be longer), and if I had a crystal ball to tell me what (if anything) will break after year 2, an extended warranty decision would be super easy! I am blessed to be able to afford an unexpected repair bill. But I just prefer the peace-of-mind of warranty coverage and not having to worry about the cost (even if it costs be a little more in the long run). Always buying a new vehicle every 3 years and being fully covered by a factory warranty has meant I have always been covered.
same here, but my brother has bought out a few of my leases so i can see how they held up in the long run . My 335i GT has been going strong for 7 years now, just normal maint. and he does the bare minimum.

i did opt to cover this car (since i bought it vs leased) with mechanical breakdown insurance from geico. supposed to cover everything but maintenance for up to 7 years 100K miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 09:14 AM   #8
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

lloyd99 , here is a formal document that covers all your questions. It is directly from BMW-NA website.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMWCPOWhatIsNotCovered.pdf.asset.1658508607260.pdf (97.6 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-14-2022 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 09:18 AM   #9
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
lloyd99 , here is a formal document that covers all your questions . It is directly from BMW-NA (valid to date).
Thanks for sharing and replying, I appreciate it. I had seen that document and included it in my original post. I was mainly trying to understand what is NOT covered by the BMW CPO Warranty (additional 1-year with unlimited miles) that IS covered by the original factory 4-year/50,000 BMW new vehicle warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing and replying, I appreciate it. I had seen that document and included it in my original post. I was mainly trying to understand what is NOT covered by the BMW CPO Warranty (additional 1-year with unlimited miles) that IS covered by the original factory 4-year/50,000 BMW new vehicle warranty.
Oh am sorry, I didn't notice that. The CPO is actually disappointing "I always thought it is an extension of the factory warranty, but I learned about it the same way you did when i got my CPO 530e". In fact, I feel that the dealer misrepresented the situation for me and I felt during the negotiation that it is an extension of the factory warranty (found later that it was not, but I wasn't worried about it because adding CPO was something I negotiated at no charge to me).

To answer your question, CPO covers all items covered under the original warranty minus the standard excluded items from the original factory warranty itself AND minus what is listed in that document. It is an "exclusionary" warranty, which is usually easier to read with less confusion. If the item is NOT listed in that document, it is usually covered.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-14-2022 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #11
keg97
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Oh am sorry, I didn't notice that. The CPO is actually disappointing "I always thought it is an extension of the factory warranty, but I learned about it the same way you did when i got my CPO 530e". In fact, I feel that the dealer misrepresented the situation for me and I felt during the negotiation that it is an extension of the factory warranty (found later that it was not, but I wasn't worried about it because adding CPO was something I negotiated at no charge to me).

To answer your question, CPO covers all items covered under the original warranty minus the standard excluded items from the original factory warranty itself AND minus what is listed in that document. It is an "exclusionary" warranty, which is usually easier to read with less confusion. If the item is NOT listed in that document, it is usually covered.

Hope that helps.
Did the dealer happen to give you a monetary value to the CPO warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #12
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
Did the dealer happen to give you a monetary value to the CPO warranty?
They'd have charged me $3,000-3,500 if I was going to pay for it. I also know that the (dealer cost), like their cost, is about $1,500-1,800 that they have to pay to BMW-NA to get it CPO'ed for one year. So, in that case, I saved "negotiated" $3,000-3,500 while the dealer only lost $1,500-1,800. That was good enough to get the deal done with both parties getting the most value out of the transaction. I don't think it worth that much though.. If they offered me a $3K discount without COP-ing the vehicle, I would have taken the $3K. The only reason I wanted them to CPO it for me is because when they CPO a vehicle they are forced to go through a certain checklist before the vehicle can be CPO-ed. From that list itself, I got free front and rear disks and rotors (they are not allowed to CPO a vehicle if the spec's are below a certain threshold, and the same for tires).
Appreciate 1
keg97170.50
      12-15-2022, 05:36 AM   #13
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:

Hope that helps.
BMW5and7 Thanks very much for the additional information, I appreciate it. Looks like we both learned a lesson - I feel better knowing I am not alone :-)

I continued to do more research on this warranty/extended service contract topic. I am finding it all very confusing - with names like BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty, BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan), and BMW Extended Service Contract (Platinum, Gold and Powertrain Plus). And with them all seemingly covering different things, for different # of years and for different mileage.

To help contribute back to this community (which has been so helpful to me since joining), here is a summary of information I have found and believe to be true (although I could be wrong, so anyone can feel free to correct me - please):

I found three relevant PDF documents, which I have attached this this post:
- ESC Coverage Guide - BMW.pdf (a summary of the BMW Extended Service Contract plans (Platinum, Gold and Powertrain Plus)
- BMW Extended Vehicle Contract_2020.1.pdf (the actual contract for extended vehicle protection)
- BMWCPOWhatIsNotCovered.pdf (included with prior replies, re-included here for convenience, outlines what is NOT covered by the BMW CPO warranty aka BMW CPO Protection Plan)

- The BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty: starts on the sale date of the new vehicle, and lasts for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. From what others have posted above, I believe it includes everything that is listed as EXCLUDED in the BMW CPO warranty aka BMW CPO Protection Plan (see BMWCPOWhatIsNotCovered.pdf) except for Vehicle Maintenance. I have NOT been able to determine if this BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty EXACTLY aligns with the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum level, or if it has more or less coverage. If anyone knows this answer, I would love to know.

- BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan): Included with a CPO purchase. Provides coverage for 1-year with unlimited miles, after the expiration of the original 4 year/50,000-mile BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see attached BMWCPOWhatIsNotCovered.pdf document for exclusions). If you’re the original owner of the BMW CPO vehicle (meaning someone bought it new, and you bought it as a CPO) you can transfer your warranty to a private buyer. I have NOT been able to determine if this BMW CPO warranty EXACTLY aligns with the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum or Gold or not, or if it has more or less coverage. If anyone knows this answer, I would love to know.

- BMW Extended Service Contracts (Platinum, Gold and Powertrain Plus): Platinum is available for New, Used, or CPO BMWs. Gold and Powertrain Plus are available for New and Used (so NOT available for CPOs). See attached ESC Coverage Guide - BMW.pdf document for a grid of what each plan covers. New and Used can extend coverage for to 5, 6 or 7 years from original in-service date and for 75,000 or 100,000 miles (I believe you get to select) - coverage ends when you hit the date or mileage, whichever comes first. CPO is available for 6 or 7 years and is for unlimited miles (kicks in after year 5, which was extended from the original new vehicle 4-year warranty). All references to "years" starts on the original in-service date of the vehicle (not CPO purchase date by second owner). All references to "miles" refer to the current odometer reading (not miles since CPO purchase or Used purchase).

I hope the above summary and attached PDFs are helpful to others in this community. If anyone finds I have stated anything inaccurate, please let me/us know.

My ask/question of the community: I would love to find out if the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan) EXACTLY aligns with the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum or Gold or not. If anyone knows this answer, I would love to know. I think the "ESC Coverage Guide - BMW.pdf" is great, as it provides an easy to understand grid of the three Extended Service Contract plans (Platinum, Gold and Powertrain Plus). I just wish they also had columns on that same grid for the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty as well as the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ESC Coverage Guide - BMW.pdf (729.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: pdf BMW Extended Vehicle Contract_2020.1.pdf (711.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: pdf BMWCPOWhatIsNotCovered.pdf (97.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by lloyd99; 12-15-2022 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 12:42 PM   #14
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I got the dealer to throw in the Gold BMW Warranty for 1yr on my last M4, I was told that CPO was the level above which maybe is called the Platinum?

Quote:
My ask/question of the community: I would love to find out if the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan) EXACTLY aligns with the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum or Gold or not. If anyone knows this answer, I would love to know. I think the "ESC Coverage Guide - BMW.pdf" is great, as it provides an easy to understand grid of the three Extended Service Contract plans (Platinum, Gold and Powertrain Plus). I just wish they also had columns on that same grid for the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty as well as the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 06:21 PM   #15
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:

Does anyone have any knowledge of what IS covered by the original 4-year/50,000-mile BMW factory warranty that is NOT covered by the BMW CPO warranty? Or if there is a comparison site somewhere that points out the [...]
I’m in my CPO year now with my 540. I know suspension is t covered and ambient lights. Not sure what else, but generally your description matches my understanding. I’m going to ride the CPO and then assess how much longer I’ll keep it and if I should get extended warranty coverage.

My X7 is also a CPO 2021. Two years is a long time. I plan to make the same assessment then. Because it has more bells and whistles, I may pull the trigger on bumper to bumper extended warranty even before CPO runs out, if I’ll keep it a few years at that point.

But now to the important part… tell us about the X7 you found! I know you had a very specific list of desires. Did you get everything you wanted? Congrats on the find!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #16
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
I got the dealer to throw in the Gold BMW Warranty for 1yr on my last M4, I was told that CPO was the level above which maybe is called the Platinum?
No. CPO vs extended warranty are two different things. CPO is just CPO which the clauses shared in the PDF document in post #1 and dealers decide to CPO the vehicle BEFORE it is sold to you. You can NEVER EVER CPO a vehicle after you bought it. The Platinum vs gold vs silver extended warranties are warranty agreements offered by BMW-NA that can be purchased at any point of time in most cases (and can even overlap with the vehicle factory warranty if u buy it too early). Platinum I guess is very close to the factory warranty because platinum covers so many parts if not all. Read the terms and conditions very well though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #17
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I’m in my CPO year now with my 540. I know suspension is t covered and ambient lights. Not sure what else, but generally your description matches my understanding. I’m going to ride the CPO and then assess how much longer I’ll keep it and if I should get extended warranty coverage.

My X7 is also a CPO 2021. Two years is a long time. I plan to make the same assessment then. Because it has more bells and whistles, I may pull the trigger on bumper to bumper extended warranty even before CPO runs out, if I’ll keep it a few years at that point.

But now to the important part… tell us about the X7 you found! I know you had a very specific list of desires. Did you get everything you wanted? Congrats on the find!
NGT2 - I found a CPO 2021 X7 M50i. It has all of my required must-have options (DHP, Cold Weather Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Luxury Seating Package, Executive Package, Trailer hitch and 21" wheels with all-season tires). It is Tanzanite Blue and has B&W speakers from my nice-to-have options list. It has Vernsca Leather (I wanted Merino Leather) and Captain's Chairs (I wanted a bench second row) - so it is a miss on those two nice-to-have options, but I am okay with those. I am picking it up on Saturday - fingers crossed!

Last edited by lloyd99; 12-15-2022 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
NGT25781.00
      12-15-2022, 07:32 PM   #18
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
NGT2 - I found a CPO 2021 X7 M50i. I has all of my required must-have options (DHP, Cold Weather Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Luxury Seating Package, Executive Package, Trailer hitch and 21" wheels with all-season tires). It is Tanzanite Blue and has B&W speakers from my nice-to-have options list. It has Vernsca Leather (I wanted Merino Leather) and Captain's Chairs (I wanted a bench second row) - so it is a miss on those two nice-to-have options, but I am okay with those. I am picking it up on Saturday - fingers crossed!
Fantastic! We have captains seats. I’d prefer bench also, but captains seats have upside too. You won’t mind. And I think for all you got, the trade for Vernasca is non issue.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #19
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
No. CPO vs extended warranty are two different things. CPO is just CPO which the clauses shared in the PDF document in post #1 and dealers decide to CPO the vehicle BEFORE it is sold to you. You can NEVER EVER CPO a vehicle after you bought it. The Platinum vs gold vs silver extended warranties are warranty agreements offered by BMW-NA that can be purchased at any point of time in most cases (and can even overlap with the vehicle factory warranty if u buy it too early). Platinum I guess is very close to the factory warranty because platinum covers so many parts if not all. Read the terms and conditions very well though.
BMW5and7 - I had a conversation this evening with Christine Newman, Finance Manager for Steve Thomas BMW. She told me the coverage for the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan) matches the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum option. Which upon further review makes sense - as the Extended Service Contract brochure says Platinum is available for New, Used and CPO, while it says Gold and Powertrain Plus are only available for New and Used.

So in my case when buying a CPO vehicle that is 2 years old with 18,000 miles on it, I will have the original factory warranty for another 2 years and 32,000 miles - whichever comes first (meaning from original in-service the vehicle is 4-years old or hit 50,000 miles - whichever comes first). After that, I will have the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan) for an additional 1-year with unlimited miles - with that coverage matching the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum option (good coverage, but excludes some things covered by the original factory warranty). If I want coverage beyond my third year of ownership (vehicle being 5 years old at that point), I would have to buy the BMW Extended Service Contract. That's a mouthful, but amazingly it all makes sense to me now :-)

Last edited by lloyd99; 12-15-2022 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
NGT25781.00
      12-15-2022, 07:43 PM   #20
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
BMW5and7 - I had a conversation this evening with Christine Newman, Finance Manager for Steve Thomas BMW. She told me the coverage for the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan) matches the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum option. Which upon further review makes sense - as the Extended Service Contract brochure says Platinum is available for New, Used and CPO, while it says Gold and Powertrain Plus are only available for New and Used.

So in my case when buying a CPO vehicle that is 2 years old with 18,000 miles on it, I will have the original factory warranty for another 2 years and 32,000 miles - whichever comes first. After that, I will have the BMW CPO warranty (aka BMW CPO Protection Plan) for an additional 1-year with unlimited miles - with that coverage matching the BMW Extended Service Contract Platinum option (good coverage, but excludes some things covered by the original factory warranty). If I want coverage beyond my third year of ownership (vehicle being 5 years old at that point), I would have to buy the BMW Extended Service Contract. That's a mouthful, but amazingly it all makes sense to me now :-)
Wow, that’s interesting. I’d check in again to verify that platinum matches CPO. CPO exclusions list seem to be pretty long list, and I was always under the assumption that platinum is a good warranty plan (or at least does not have that many exclusions as the CPO exclusions). If that’s the case, I guess even the best BMW warranty plan is not that good. I personally never got the BMW one because they are expensive. I have a 100K miles/5-additional-years plan from Alpha-Warranty that my dealer said they never had any issues with. I got their best/highest warranty plan. You can’t buy an extended warranty from AlphaWarranty unless your dealers offer plans from AlphaWarranty though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 09:16 PM   #21
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I am aware CPO is 2 things the checklist which needs to be satisfied to qualify and the warranty extension. I was referring to what the CPO warranty covers which my dealer said was equivalent to the Platinum level which you can purchase.

CPO is general is dying out, many dealers don't want to bother since BMW has made the program less attractive. Plus I have found CPO checklist violations on cars being sold as CPO more and more often, back in the day it was more strict and CPO cars were top notch.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 09:28 PM   #22
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Wow, that’s interesting. I’d check in again to verify that platinum matches CPO. CPO exclusions list seem to be pretty long list, and I was always under the assumption that platinum is a good warranty plan (or at least does not have that many exclusions as the CPO exclusions). If that’s the case, I guess even the best BMW warranty plan is not that good. I personally never got the BMW one because they are expensive. I have a 100K miles/5-additional-years plan from Alpha-Warranty that my dealer said they never had any issues with. I got their best/highest warranty plan. You can’t buy an extended warranty from AlphaWarranty unless your dealers offer plans from AlphaWarranty though.
BMW5and7 - So I had to dig a little deeper to satisfy my own need to double-check. I copied the WHAT IS NOT COVERED pdf for the BMW CPO Protection Plan PDF to Microsoft Word. And I copied the "The following parts and components are NOT Covered Parts under the Platinum and Platinum CPO Wrap Plans:" section of the BMW Extended Vehicle Service Contract pdf to Microsoft Word. I then compared the two documents, section by section, word for word, and saved the comparison document as a PDF. I have attached that PDF to this post.

The language is very similar, but not 100% identical. I think a few excluded items are just switched between sections and ultimately provide the same coverage. ESC Wear and tear items says "All suspension parts and components" are excluded, while the CPO lists specific suspension items.

EDIT: Adding information about rust:The ESC Platinum Body section has "Damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination" in its list of exclusions, while the CPO Body section does not have that language listed. So that is another difference between ESC Platinum coverage and CPO Limited Warranty coverage.

I found this language about the Rust Protection Policy on several dealer websites. I could not locate the rust warranty language or documents on the BMWusa.com website: "BMW vehicles are sold with a 12-year rust protection limited warranty. This applies to all models dating back to the 2006 model year, and it covers rust damage related to body perforation and damaged materials. As is the case with the new vehicle limited warranty, the rust protection warranty period begins on the original date of sale or the vehicle's initial service date as a demonstration or company vehicle." So I guess my CPO will be covered for rust under the original 12-year rust protection limited warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CPO Protection Plan versus ESC Platinum.pdf (87.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by lloyd99; 12-16-2022 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: Added additional note about the Body sections
Appreciate 0