BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
MarkInDallas
Rep
Drives: Incoming M3 XDrive

Idrive 8, wireless charging, Bluetooth CarPlay problems with iPhone 14 pro and 2023 M

First, just took delivery of my m3 and it’s amazing. The one issue I’m having is functionality of CarPlay between my iPhone 14 Pro and the m3, specifically via Bluetooth while using Google Maps and Spotify.

Issues:
Phone gets extremely hot while navigating, listening to music, and wirelessly charging.

Google maps freezes even when not navigating (just running and showing the live map), and I continue to have to open the phone and hard close maps, but it immediately freezes again on the m3’s screen.

CarPlay eventually crashes/truly I believe the phone disconnects from the car. Idrive is not crashing/freezing technically.

I think this issue has to do with the iPhone throttling down and the combination of multiple apps running (Google maps and Spotify), while wireless charging, and data transfer via Bluetooth, is causing excessive heat, causing the throttling.

I used a usb cable to charge, and navigated via Google maps while over Bluetooth, and it worked, but still made the phone much hotter than normal

I have restarted my phone, made sure everything is fully updated, and nothing has helped.

So, sure, first world problem, and I guess I can just connect via the charging cable, but dangit, I paid for the wireless charging, have the newest phone and car… and shouldn’t this work!?!?!

Anyone else dealing with this, have any fixes?

Thanks all,
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

I don't have wireless charging and my phone gets warm just sitting in there. I've used Apple Maps without incident as well as Apple Music. I can't speak for using Google Maps or Spotify. I like to use Sirius XM. I hope you work it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInDallas View Post
First, just took delivery of my m3 and it’s amazing. The one issue I’m having is functionality of CarPlay between my iPhone 14 Pro and the m3, specifically via Bluetooth while using Google Maps and Spotify.

Issues:
Phone gets extremely hot while navigating, listening to music, and wirelessly charging.

Google maps freezes even when not navigating (just running and showing the live map), and I continue to have to open the phone and hard close maps, but it immediately freezes again on the m3’s screen.

CarPlay eventually crashes/truly I believe the phone disconnects from the car. Idrive is not crashing/freezing technically.

I think this issue has to do with the iPhone throttling down and the combination of multiple apps running (Google maps and Spotify), while wireless charging, and data transfer via Bluetooth, is causing excessive heat, causing the throttling.

I used a usb cable to charge, and navigated via Google maps while over Bluetooth, and it worked, but still made the phone much hotter than normal

I have restarted my phone, made sure everything is fully updated, and nothing has helped.

So, sure, first world problem, and I guess I can just connect via the charging cable, but dangit, I paid for the wireless charging, have the newest phone and car… and shouldn’t this work!?!?!

Anyone else dealing with this, have any fixes?

Thanks all,
This is a well-documented complaint, the BMW wireless chargers have done this with iPhones for years. You're not doing anything incorrectly, it's just a sub-optimal wireless charger. The phone will get warm during charging via USB or wireless while using Carplay.

The wireless charger in my Outback gets the phone quite warm too, but nowhere near as hot as the wireless charger in the BMW.

If you check around it seems people with Android phones don't have heat issues. It appears that is the only effective fix.

I don't have iDrive 8, but you might try rebooting iDrive and see if that helps with the crashing.
Appreciate 1
Game7455.50
      12-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
Rosetta Stoned
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2023 X3

Garage List
I have 2022 Idrive7 w/iPhone 14 Pro. CarPlay is up at all times, listening to music with maps and phone in my pocket. My phone does not get hot and works well. When I do put it on the wireless charger it gets warm but does not glitch. I did have disconnecting problems with my iPhone XS as well as glitching when in the mountains but no issues since upgrading my phone. Do you have NO issues when the phone is not charging (wireless or wired)? If only while charging then I would suspect the phone. Also CarPlay uses Bluetooth only on initial connection then uses only Wi-Fi.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #5
bgalway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 XDrive 23

I have a id8 with 14 pro max, no problems here in Australia, I have software 7/22
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #6
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2023 M3CX

Garage List
ios 16.2 is 💩
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 12:43 AM   #7
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Research would’ve told you to stay away from wireless charging.

Trying doing a soft reboot for your CarPlay issues. (Hold the volume knob down for 20 seconds until your iD8 screens turns off with the car running).
      12-19-2022, 02:03 AM   #8
Psychos1s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 50 Jahre Edition

I agree with others that mention to try rebooting ID8. Maybe see if there is an update available as well.

I have ID8 and an iPhone 13 Pro. It does get hot on the charger but I've never had issues with CarPlay performance. I've used Google Maps several times but decided to switch to ID8's map system since I like the heads up display and instrument cluster map views. But I listen to Apple Music every second I'm in my car connected wirelessly–no problem.

Note: iOS Version 16.1.1

2023 G80 ///M3 Competition xDrive 50 Jahre Edition • Ordered 5/4/22 • Delivered 9/23/22
Previous • 2017 F80///M3 zCP • Instagram: MRated.M3 • 2023 ///M3 50 Jahre Edition | The Journey to Ownership
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 06:26 AM   #9
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I have a 13 Pro on the latest iOS release (16.1.2) and I had issues with Google Maps on CarPlay since iOS 16. I eventually switched to Apple Maps and that solved that issue.

My wife’s old X3 used to crash CarPlay at a certain “dead” spot on one of our back roads. It was like the cars Wi-Fi would drop and CarPlay would reset after about 15-30 seconds.

The phone does get hot on the charger and this is a known issue so it won’t ever be fixed (I’m guessing), but it shouldn’t be getting hot with normal CarPlay usage. Check all the normal culprits for that (background app refresh, location services, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychos1s View Post
I've used Google Maps several times but decided to switch to ID8's map system since I like the heads up display and instrument cluster map views.
Not sure if Google Maps is the same but Apple Maps displays on the center of the dash when I begin navigation as well as turn by turn on the heads up display. It uses the normal ID8 map between the gear and speed until I start navigating, then it swaps to Maps and shows me my route. I find it pretty slick for my everyday “efficient mode” driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #10
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
I have a 13 Pro on the latest iOS release (16.1.2) and I had issues with Google Maps on CarPlay since iOS 16. I eventually switched to Apple Maps and that solved that issue.

16.2 is the latest version of iOS, it was released earlier this week.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:45 AM   #11
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Apple CarPlay crashing, particularly the map app (I use Waze) is a known issue.

It sucks but I don’t think there is anything that you can do about it.

Enjoy your new car. You might be spending more time in it if you are using maps to get you to a destination and it freezes right before a critical turn. Been there, done that.
      12-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #12
MarkInDallas
Rep

I am wondering if the new iPhone 14 pro’s cameras are adding to the problem. They physically protrude a couple mm’s and lifts the back of the phone off at an angle so it does not sit flush. I would assume with the added distance of the wireless charging, it having to gain up and not be as efficient/generate more heat.

Oh well, it’s annoying, but not going to cause me to return the car or anything. Ha
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInDallas View Post
I am wondering if the new iPhone 14 pro’s cameras are adding to the problem. They physically protrude a couple mm’s and lifts the back of the phone off at an angle so it does not sit flush.
No, the cameras have been that way for a long time now and the overheating problem has existed for years.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #14
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

I don’t have wireless charging, but I do use the digital key so have my iPhone in the tray all the time.

I have noticed that my screen sometimes doesn’t turn off (connection with the key?). If I leave it on, my phone will get hot too (even without the charging feature). If I press the button on the side to turn the screen off, it never gets hot.

So…..those with heating issues (with or without charging), make sure your screen shuts off. See if that helps.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 12:52 AM   #15
G80CQP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80CX.

I can't use my iWatch series 8 as digital key, no issue with my iphone 14 pro-max, 2022 G80 M3, any help.. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 05:43 PM   #16
MarkInDallas
Rep

Wanted to give a quick update on this thread:

Still dealing with the overheating and throttling issues when wirelessly charging, navigating, and listening to streaming music. I have just plugged my phone into a usb charger now, no big deal.

Google maps was still freezing/stop moving when not actively navigating anywhere. This has been solved by going into the iPhone settings, going to Google maps, and then switching “location” setting from whatever you might have to “always” on. I had only enabled location while navigating. It’s odd, as it was never an issue in my wife’s car, but she does not have wireless CarPlay, so maybe a bug when Bluetooth?

Annoyingly the iPhone now asks me constantly if I was to disable this… but whatever.

Also, just got my 1200 mile break in done, and this thing freaking rips!

Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0