F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Dolby Atmos PC Speakers
GetBMWParts

01-06-2023, 01:44 PM   #1
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Dolby Atmos PC Speakers

I'm getting ready for some new PC speakers at some point. Having just invested in some new AirPods Pros over Christmas and a trial on Apple Music it seems some songs are now in Dolby Atmos.

I upgraded my library about 6 years ago to the higher quality AAC files, however things have moved on.

I currently have the Bose Companion 5 speakers, it seems that they've now discontinued these without a replacement. I've had them for well over 10 years and they've been fantastic - in fact i'm a bit loathed to upgrade them.

So has anyone got any suggestions for a set that can handle Dolby Atmos? The PC speakers seem to have dropped off massively over the last few years.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:21 PM   #2
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

You’re in the dark ages…no one has PC speakers anymore!

Get yourself some sonos or Bose wireless stuff for your office and use your phone to cast to them job done.

There’s none about because no one buys them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

My 9-year old Cambridge Audio Minx speakers broke last week. Or rather the mini usb port connecting the remote volume control to the speakers broke off. Could possibly be soldered back but can't be bothered.
Started looking at alternatives on Amazon, and there is barely any choice of decent pc speaker systems. I'm just looking for 2.1 to go on my PC desk, and the same THX Logitech speakers from 2015 are still the main speakers people buy (but more expensive than back then).
Do people not bother with decent sound anymore or do they use bluetooth and smart speakers? Was thinking of this route but ended up with the Logitech z533 as I wanted a decent sub. Got too many smart speakers in my home already and wanted more punch. For £100 it seems like a bargain compared to my Bose Portable Home Smart Speaker at £290

Last edited by winther1; 01-06-2023 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 02:28 PM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
You’re in the dark ages…no one has PC speakers anymore!

Get yourself some sonos or Bose wireless stuff for your office and use your phone to cast to them job done.

There’s none about because no one buys them.
No I'm relatively up to date, I have Sonos everywhere too I just use my Mac a lot, and have used iTunes for about 18 years!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:29 PM   #5
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
My 9-year old Cambridge Audio Minx speakers broke last week. Or rather the mini usb port connecting the remote volume control to the speakers broke off. Could possibly be soldered back but can't be bothered.
Started looking at alternatives on Amazon, and there is barely any choice of decent pc speaker systems. I'm just looking for 2.1 and the same THX Logitech speakers from 2015 are still the main speakers people buy.
Do people not bother with decent sound anymore or do they use bluetooth and smart speakers? Was thinking of this route but ended up with the Logitech z533 as I wanted a decent sub. Got too many smart speakers in my home already.
Glad i'm not the only one struggling
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:59 PM   #6
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

You probably already came across the Logitech Z623 speakers. More powerful than the Bose speakers you have, but can't say which has better sound. My old Cambridge Audio speakers had a built in DAC and sounded amazing.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=logitec...l_7w9azknmp4_e
      01-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #7
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
I'm getting ready for some new PC speakers at some point. Having just invested in some new AirPods Pros over Christmas and a trial on Apple Music it seems some songs are now in Dolby Atmos.

I upgraded my library about 6 years ago to the higher quality AAC files, however things have moved on.

I currently have the Bose Companion 5 speakers, it seems that they've now discontinued these without a replacement. I've had them for well over 10 years and they've been fantastic - in fact i'm a bit loathed to upgrade them.

So has anyone got any suggestions for a set that can handle Dolby Atmos? The PC speakers seem to have dropped off massively over the last few years.
Why do you need Dolby Atmos for PC speakers? Do you feel you'll absolutely tell the difference between AAC, Flac, DA etc?

Have you thought about decent active speakers instead; or powered speakers such as the Ruarks etc?

I run JBL 308P Mk IIs via an SMSL DAC connected to my Mac and the sound is absolutely superb and very precise...

They will highlight bad music, if that makes sense?
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 03:42 PM   #8
bishbosh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have a pair of Presonus Eris e3.5 active studio monitors as my pc speakers. Fantastic sound quality for the size, and only around £80. They also have balanced inputs.

I bought a second set for my daughter's record player.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 05:01 PM   #9
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

I have an iFi Zen DAC connected via USB to the pc, and then a pair of active Audioengine A5s. I did have a velodyne mini sub but it didn't add much in my small office. I use Tidal and the sound is excellent.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #10
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
I'm getting ready for some new PC speakers at some point.

So has anyone got any suggestions for a set that can handle Dolby Atmos?
I have been into Home Cinema / Theatre for over twenty years and recently modified my system to handle Dolby Atmos.

Leading up to this I've read about the Atmos codec, articles written by sound producers that work in the film and music industry as to how the recording can be manipulated, as well as what is required for the reproduction of the soundfield in a residential environment.

Suffice to say that sitting in close proximity to a pair of speakers (typical of a PC 'at desk' experience) you really won't benefit from the height information that might be encoded into the music or the steering of the dynamic objects (the latter fairly unlikely in music).
Unless you have multiple speakers positioned around the room - to the sides, behind and, crucially for Atmos height effects above, the spatial cues won't really work. It'll be different from an Atmos soundbar or similar, but correct? No. Even the upward firing (Atmos) speakers that usually sit on top of a front stereo pair give at best a poor representation of the height effects when (some) of the sound bounces off the ceiling toward the main listening position, but they really should be at least half way between floor and ceiling (preferably higher) and the listener really ought not to be able to see the cone as (if you can) the direct (rather than reflected) sound will greatly reduce the bounced height effect.

Don't get me wrong, done right Atmos music can bring another dimension to the music but, IMHO not cheaply.

I'd go along with G50's advice, the Audioengine active speakers are really quite good for a stereo pair. I have a pair of A2's in the summerhouse that produce a well rounded sound with output that belies their size, I can imagine the A5s G50 mentions being rather good.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2023, 11:10 AM   #11
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Guess my music does not require an audiophile setup as I'm happy with my current £100 setup
I had the Audioengine speakers some years back (spares lying around at work).
Gave them back as they were too bulky on the desk and missed out on the low-end that you get with a sub.
My Minx M5 was a great set, but the Z533 seems like a step up with the ported sub and twice the power. Not missing the built-in DAC
      01-09-2023, 02:05 PM   #12
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I've had a busy weekend so only just got chance to sit down and read through all the replies and have a look.

What G50 suggests sounds like what i'm after as a replacement for the Companion 5's. Such a shame really that Bose didn't replace them with a newer model.

I wanted Dolby Atmos, not really for the sound quality as I understand I won't gain much (If anything) to my current set up. But so I could have the files in Atmos on my computer. Downloading them in Atmos won't play back on the current system, but I can't put the Atmos files onto my iPhone without them being on there. I'll have to have a rethink, as I don't intend on keeping Apple Music after the free trial.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #13
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

If you want active speakers to keep it simple; definitely consider the Edifier speakers via Amazon UK; I've a pair of their speakers in the garage on dedicated wall brackets and they sound superb

I did have them in my office for a short period on my massive Atacama speaker stands connected to the Mac and they held their own indeed!

But if you've the budget; the likes of the JBL 305P Mk II's:

https://www.musicmatter.co.uk/jbl-lsr305p-mkii-pair

As an idea with a USB DAC interface:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-S...ps%2C99&sr=8-3

Again, as an example

Will stand you in very good stead...

They also don't colour the music like stereo speakers can do; so you get, IMO, a much better soundstage...

I've been through all sorts of systems with the likes of Arcam, NAD, Dynaudio, Cyrus, Audiolab, Dali, B&W, KEF, Neat, Rega, Spendor etc over the years and have loved it...

But now the simplicity of decent active studio monitors connected to a good DAC is easier, cleaner and sounds superb... All IMO of course
Appreciate 0