home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-16-2023, 02:02 AM   #1
S58King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 CX

Brake Pad change help

Hey guys so i did a brake pad change and the left side was so issue but on the right side i accidentally disengaged the bimmerlink brake service while my caliper was off the rotor and it fully pushed the piston out to the point where some oil leaked out we managed to push it back in place with no more oil leaking to our knowledge but when i brake now the car takes 1-2 seconds to fully start braking and the first push of the brake feels very weak until i get lower and it stiffens, any help would be appreciated as i want to make sure i did not mess up my car with the piston fully pushing out and it leaking a bit. Also i think we pushing the piston in while not have brake service engaged would anything be damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 02:37 PM   #2
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [8.33]
Ouch sorry to hear that. What you're describing sounds like you have some air in the line which should be resolved by the dealer with a brake fluid bleed. Not sure if you did any internal damage by retracting the caliper piston without service mode especially since we now have the electric parking brake. I'd personally start with the brake bleed and see if it resolves the issue.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 06:36 PM   #3
S58King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
Ouch sorry to hear that. What you're describing sounds like you have some air in the line which should be resolved by the dealer with a brake fluid bleed. Not sure if you did any internal damage by retracting the caliper piston without service mode especially since we now have the electric parking brake. I'd personally start with the brake bleed and see if it resolves the issue.
thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 03:12 PM   #4
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Yes to air in the system.
You can bleed the brakes yourself. It's a really simple process that only takes two people. No need to take it to a shop.
One to pump/push the pedal
One to open the bleeder on the caliper
Youtube the process if you don't know how.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
Yes to air in the system.
You can bleed the brakes yourself. It's a really simple process that only takes two people. No need to take it to a shop.
One to pump/push the pedal
One to open the bleeder on the caliper
Youtube the process if you don't know how.
A big NO to this, it doesn't work like that anymore. It will not work to bleed the brakes.

When you try it, the brake pedal will shake and you'll end up bring in more air to the system. That's what the dealer techs did at my last track day when I asked them to refresh the fluid and they ended up having to get more tools out to fix it.

You need to do a pressure bleed and then activate the ABS to get more air bubbles out. An independent shop should be able to take care of it, no need to go to a dealer.
Attached Images

01-19-2023, 04:48 PM   #6
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
A big NO to this, it doesn't work like that anymore. It will not work to bleed the brakes.

When you try it, the brake pedal will shake and you'll end up bring in more air to the system. That's what the dealer techs did at my last track day when I asked them to refresh the fluid and they ended up having to get more tools out to fix it.

You need to do a pressure bleed and then activate the ABS to get more air bubbles out. An independent shop should be able to take care of it, no need to go to a dealer.

Are you sure that procedure is not just if there is air in the ABS?
If the battery is disconnected the system becomes a manual brake system and should be able to blead it like a normal car.
A pressure bleed is pretty simple too. But the battery needs to be disconnected.

And don't yell at me...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:22 PM   #7
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
Are you sure that procedure is not just if there is air in the ABS?
If the battery is disconnected the system becomes a manual brake system and should be able to blead it like a normal car.
A pressure bleed is pretty simple too. But the battery needs to be disconnected.

And don't yell at me...
He’s just trying to keep you from doing what I did…

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921666
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #8
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
He’s just trying to keep you from doing what I did…

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1921666
Interesting. So the safety system prevents the two man bleed. I didn't see if anyone got it to work with battery disconnected.
The instructions posted show if you have a pressure bleeder you can still do it yourself.
If you don't have one of these and track your car they are cheap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FISH225416.50