BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-02-2023, 01:30 AM   #1
Defragster
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 xdrive 2022

Swapping ceramic to steel rotors/pads - do I need to change calipers?

Hey

Im quite a newbie when it comes to technical stuff here, and no idea where to look.

I currently have 2022 BMW M3 xdrive comp, which I bought 2nd hand.

The ceramic brakes are kinda on the edge after track driving, I got the full OEM set from the factory, and would like to swap them to steel rotors.

So my question is - could anyone more technical help me and tell me if its just enough I buy OEM rotors + EBC yellowstuff brake pads and replace the OEM ceramic set, while keeping the gold calipers? Anything else I would need to change?

I have no clue if they are same size, and if everything will work just fine and regular steel rotos/pads will go on the cara no problem.

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 03:09 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defragster View Post
Hey

Im quite a newbie when it comes to technical stuff here, and no idea where to look.

I currently have 2022 BMW M3 xdrive comp, which I bought 2nd hand.

The ceramic brakes are kinda on the edge after track driving, I got the full OEM set from the factory, and would like to swap them to steel rotors.

So my question is - could anyone more technical help me and tell me if its just enough I buy OEM rotors + EBC yellowstuff brake pads and replace the OEM ceramic set, while keeping the gold calipers? Anything else I would need to change?

I have no clue if they are same size, and if everything will work just fine and regular steel rotos/pads will go on the cara no problem.

Thanks a lot!
Not an expert in this but not not a one to one swap.

Size specs aren't the same ... Could it work likely, would it be optimal don't know.

M Compound Brakes - 380 x 36mm (front) / 370 x 24mm (rear)
M Carbon-Ceramic Brakes - 400 x 38mm (front) / 380 x 28mm (rear)

https://youtu.be/YYa7geH8wfk
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 03:18 AM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
The calipers are said to be similar with the exception, being the mounting points. The Carbon Ceramic Rotor are 400MM and 380MM, while the M Compound Brakes are 380MM and 370MM.

More information can be found, here.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...m4-brakes.html

I’m also going to mention that on the F series cars, they are able to swap to iron rotors and keep the ccb calipers. Check this link, here. But, also keep in mind that the iron rotors they are going with, appear to be the F87 steel rotors. The F series cars have a different lug pattern, which will affect which rotors you go with. The G8X lug pattern is 5x112

https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us...ke-Conversion/

Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
Defragster
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 xdrive 2022

all clear, thanks guys!
Appreciate 2