Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

02-09-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
placebo0311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Pilot Sport 4S vs Pilot Super Sports

I just placed an order for some BC Forged wheels and should be getting them towards the end of March (20x10(F) and 20x11(R)). Looking at tires now and was going to with the 4S but saw Tirerack still has the Pilot Super Sports for sale. Used these with great results on my old STi. In addition they're 300 bucks cheaper and they are BMW star rated for both sizes I was planning on running (285 and 295). Didn't see BMW star rated for the 4S in the 295. I usually take reviews with a grain of salt but the Super Sports still seem to be holding their own despite their age. Didn't see any mentions of this tire in the forums (although my search skills are Level 0), so if there are people running these, please point me there. Think these can keep with the 4S on the M cars? Worth cost savings and maintaining BMW Star ratings for an older tire?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
I still have a set PSS on my e46 M3 but I would say that the PS4 is a significantly better tire. The PSS are over a decade old design. Can you get P Zero stars in that size?

I would also be interested to know what the date stamp on those PSS is. Do they still make them?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
placebo0311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I still have a set PSS on my e46 M3 but I would say that the PS4 is a significantly better tire. The PSS are over a decade old design. Can you get P Zero stars in that size?

I would also be interested to know what the date stamp on those PSS is. Do they still make them?
No idea if they still make them, but i may be over thinking this. I'll probably stick with the Michelins. I'm not a fan of the Pzero's, hence why I why I'm switching to the Michelins. Thanks for the response though!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:44 PM   #4
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo0311 View Post
No idea if they still make them, but i may be over thinking this. I'll probably stick with the Michelins. I'm not a fan of the Pzero's, hence why I why I'm switching to the Michelins. Thanks for the response though!
No problemo. Just stick with the PS4s. The fact that you were willing to get ancient PSS over Pzeros is interesting though. I would take the Pzeros over both of those Michelins based on personal experience, recent reviews and the tendancy for Pzeros to be OEM tires on higher end cars than Michelin.
Appreciate 1