BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) here's how you can use cruise control buttons as paddle shifters to upshift/downshift

03-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
DFW1980
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 still at Bremerhaven port

here's how you can use cruise control buttons as paddle shifters to upshift/downshift

You can use this hack for the "L" on the gear shifter to upshift and downshift on the 2023 BMW X1 with X-Line. X-Line does not come with paddle shifters because those only come with the X1 with M Sport.

This only works on X-Line and possibly the non-X-Line base model. Not sure if it works on M Sport, but there's no point, since it already has actual paddle shifters.

(1) hold "L" for 20 seconds

(2) screen will shift from "L1" to "M1"

(3) cruise control buttons now act as upshift and downshift buttons.

video instructions posted by BMW dealership:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hR72ARk-nLc

Last edited by DFW1980; 03-04-2023 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2023, 06:46 AM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1980 View Post
You can use this hack for the "L" on the gear shifter to upshift and downshift on the 2023 BMW X1 with X-Line. X-Line does not come with paddle shifters because those only come with the X1 with M Sport.

This only works on X-Line and possibly the non-X-Line base model. Not sure if it works on M Sport, but there's no point, since it already has actual paddle shifters.

(1) hold "L" for 20 seconds

(2) screen will shift from "L1" to "M1"

(3) cruise control buttons now act as upshift and downshift buttons.

video instructions posted by BMW dealership:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hR72ARk-nLc

I was able to replicate this, but once I hit the gas, it reverts back to standard "D" mode. When I try to shift to different gears, it does go to "M2", but a message displays that function cannot be activated under 20 MPH (i.e., cruise).

Anyone able to get this to actually work while driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
DFW1980
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 still at Bremerhaven port

I just noticed the description of that guy's Youtube channel. He is a BMW and MINI Product Genius at BMW/MINI Durham in Ontario Canada.

Are US and Canadian versions of the X1 identical when it comes to using this hidden feature?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Our configurator has an option of X-Line with paddle shifters at an extra cost of about 500€; however, I am not sure if it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:20 AM   #5
N1cks
Registered
Rep
Drives: Nissan Daulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I was able to replicate this, but once I hit the gas, it reverts back to standard "D" mode. When I try to shift to different gears, it does go to "M2", but a message displays that function cannot be activated under 20 MPH (i.e., cruise).

Anyone able to get this to actually work while driving?
This suggests the function is for low-speed maneuvers i.e., towing or snow/icy conditions. Probably never meant as an alternative to paddle shifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnone View Post
Our configurator has an option of X-Line with paddle shifters at an extra cost of about 500€; however, I am not sure if it is worth it.
As you saying paddle shifters aren't worth it in general, or specifically for the xLine?
Do you ever use the L gear?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:46 AM   #6
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1cks View Post
This suggests the function is for low-speed maneuvers i.e., towing or snow/icy conditions. Probably never meant as an alternative to paddle shifters.

As you saying paddle shifters aren't worth it in general, or specifically for the xLine?
Do you ever use the L gear?
My X1 is on order, with an estimated delivery in September.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 07:04 AM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1cks View Post
How? As soon as I literally went 1 mph, it reverted to "D".
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 06:05 PM   #8
silentpc
Rep

Does it stay in "M" Mode if you're only applying brakes?

I can see a use for this function when you are engine braking down a long steep hill and the "L" mode isn't selecting a low enough gear and/or need more control over the gear selection.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:36 AM   #9
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

I tried it as well on a base model X1 and it won't hold lower gears. I think it is a disgrace that they offered this car with no ability to manually shift without paddle shifters, yet you can't get them on nonsupport.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:44 AM   #10
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
I tried it as well on a base model X1 and it won't hold lower gears. I think it is a disgrace that they offered this car with no ability to manually shift without paddle shifters, yet you can't get them on nonsupport.
You can get them as an option in other countries but they don't offer it as an option in the US. Want paddles get an M-Sport want to leave to the car get an X-Line or base sport model in most markets.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 07:00 AM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What do you mean? If it's important to you, get the M-Sport - paddles and boost mode are standard.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2023, 10:46 PM   #12
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

No on M sport

Here why. I live in the mountains where we get feet and feet of snow. I don't want lowering even though its only 1/2 inch. Next, I don't like the sport seats (Bottom bolsters are stiff). I love the standard seats. Paddles are important to me since I live in steep terrain and like to downshift especially in the snow. I have never owned a car that can't be manually shifted via MT or Auto with shift option. I wish they would bring this option to the States
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 01:49 AM   #13
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Here why. I live in the mountains where we get feet and feet of snow. I don't want lowering even though its only 1/2 inch. Next, I don't like the sport seats (Bottom bolsters are stiff). I love the standard seats. Paddles are important to me since I live in steep terrain and like to downshift especially in the snow. I have never owned a car that can't be manually shifted via MT or Auto with shift option. I wish they would bring this option to the States
Sounds like this may not be the car for you then. Just FYI though, you can get M Sport with the standard suspension, but the sport seats can’t be removed.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 03:27 AM   #14
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Yeah that just don't allow that option, go to the BMW.de site and you can see the option to have with or without paddles on all models. However in the UK / US and wider its just M-Sport gets them and X-line and below don't no ability to option it that's that unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 10:36 PM   #15
SLCbluebaylagoon
Rep

Quote:
I totally get you on this. The ski resorts where I live hit 900” of snow this past winter. I almost bought a q3 instead just for the paddles alone but the x1 was much more fun to drive and I needed a hitch so m sport was out of the question. I haven’t got a chance to hit snow yet but I did drive down a long mountain road and flipping the selector to “L” the car really held onto a higher gear for engine braking. Sometimes getting as high as 5k rpm. So I think this combined with wise use of the brake pedal and snow tires I’ll have no problem getting safely back home from the ski resorts this winter.
Appreciate 0