BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2023, 05:18 PM   #1
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Condition Based Service (CBS) questions

Hey everyone, truck spent three days in service getting warranty work done. Among them the screen needs to be replaced, again (the replacement they got was DOA, so they ordered a new one and its ETA is May).
They also did engine oil/filter change, and will do spark plugs and engine air filters on thursday (also had to order those parts).
I asked about the cabin air filter and wipers, since my ultimate care plus full covers those items.

Dealer said that they checked them and they were not needed. Didn't like that answer. I also noticed that they didn't reset the computer, so the car still says the oil is due next month (or 4000 miles).

So:
1) Do I need to have them reset the service timers? I would think they would have done that already. Maybe they'll do it thursday along with plugs and filters?

2) How can I get them to change the cabin air filter? I dread doing those given the threads here about flaps and stuff getting busted.

3) Not to sound redundant, but the rear cross traffic alert sucks, royally. An idiot almost hit me while I was backing up on a parking lot, and the thing didn't even beep. No red flashes, no beeps, nothing. They swear they tested several times and of course, no problem found. I did read on it and was hoping it was just a fluke, not so...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 06:02 PM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabster2010 View Post
Hey everyone, truck spent three days in service getting warranty work done. Among them the screen needs to be replaced, again (the replacement they got was DOA, so they ordered a new one and its ETA is May).
They also did engine oil/filter change, and will do spark plugs and engine air filters on thursday (also had to order those parts).
I asked about the cabin air filter and wipers, since my ultimate care plus full covers those items.

Dealer said that they checked them and they were not needed. Didn't like that answer. I also noticed that they didn't reset the computer, so the car still says the oil is due next month (or 4000 miles).

So:
1) Do I need to have them reset the service timers? I would think they would have done that already. Maybe they'll do it thursday along with plugs and filters?

2) How can I get them to change the cabin air filter? I dread doing those given the threads here about flaps and stuff getting busted.

3) Not to sound redundant, but the rear cross traffic alert sucks, royally. An idiot almost hit me while I was backing up on a parking lot, and the thing didn't even beep. No red flashes, no beeps, nothing. They swear they tested several times and of course, no problem found. I did read on it and was hoping it was just a fluke, not so...

I wouldn't remind them about the reset for the oil. Basically, you just got a free oil change service out of BMW. After 4000 miles, the reminder will come on again and they will change it again. Why did they change the oil in the first place? Had it been more than 12 months since last change?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 10:18 AM   #3
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
I wouldn't remind them about the reset for the oil. Basically, you just got a free oil change service out of BMW. After 4000 miles, the reminder will come on again and they will change it again. Why did they change the oil in the first place? Had it been more than 12 months since last change?
iDrive says its due in april or 4300 miles, so the service advisor wrote to do the oil change, along with the rest of the stuff. I checked the service history and last the oil change was done 4/26/2022 when it was CPO'd. Same with the engine air and cabin air filters. They did change the engine air filters (service order says intake silencer service, lol).

I'll swing by next month and have them change the cabin air filter when the light comes up with the oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 09:15 PM   #4
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabster2010 View Post
iDrive says its due in april or 4300 miles, so the service advisor wrote to do the oil change, along with the rest of the stuff. I checked the service history and last the oil change was done 4/26/2022 when it was CPO'd. Same with the engine air and cabin air filters. They did change the engine air filters (service order says intake silencer service, lol).

I'll swing by next month and have them change the cabin air filter when the light comes up with the oil change.

I doubt they will do a cabin air filter for free (make sure you ask for price) just because you think it needs it. With it having been done at CPO, you are good to go for a while longer.
Looks to me like you got a slightly early "time based oil change" (12 month). I too have experienced the oil reset not being reset on a time-based oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 06:20 PM   #5
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
I doubt they will do a cabin air filter for free (make sure you ask for price) just because you think it needs it. With it having been done at CPO, you are good to go for a while longer.
Looks to me like you got a slightly early "time based oil change" (12 month). I too have experienced the oil reset not being reset on a time-based oil change.

I have ultimate care plus full, it covers consumables including all filters and wipers and stuff. The SA did confirm it is covered, but said the car wasnt asking for it.

I have no idea how the car would know that the filter needs changing...
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 12:21 AM   #6
08focus1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Sounds like like your SA sucks. My local dealer does every filter and all wiper blades. I let them know it’s smells a little from the ac and that the wiper blades streak..
it’s actually at the dealer now for some warranty work “diff click” driver side seat cushion is deteriorating and showing crumbs on the carpet under the seat, along with oil service and filters..

I am curious as to what they are going to do on rotors when it’s in next month for brakes..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 01:09 PM   #7
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08focus1 View Post
Sounds like like your SA sucks. My local dealer does every filter and all wiper blades. I let them know it’s smells a little from the ac and that the wiper blades streak..
it’s actually at the dealer now for some warranty work “diff click” driver side seat cushion is deteriorating and showing crumbs on the carpet under the seat, along with oil service and filters..

I am curious as to what they are going to do on rotors when it’s in next month for brakes..
I too have noticed "crumbs" on the floor underneath the driver's seat. Please advise what they came up with on that one.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08focus1 View Post

To be fair, the entire dealership sucks. Its a small college town, so the dealership has two writers, 4 techs and one svc manager.

Good idea on the "a/c smells". Gonna force em to replace them.
Appreciate 1