F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road Tax fine
Extreme Powerhouse

03-23-2023, 06:48 AM   #1
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Road Tax fine

Last year, I was paying Road Tax by direct debit, and the renewal was up in November. I cancelled the D/D as I wanted to pay the coming year in full. On 1st November, I tried renewing for the year online, but it said I was taxed for the next year (as if it had renewed already for 2022/2023) and that what I'd be paying (if I paid now) would be for 2023/2024. Called them up and they said to just keep trying and it'll eventually update.

I thought maybe it takes a couple of days to update/refresh itself. Kept trying however, same result. I then got a letter stating my D/D is cancelled and I won't be taxed unless I renew. Thought the systems had finally updated. Tried again online, same nonsense. Called again, they said to just pay for the following year and it'll sort itself out. Eventually it did (why not tell me that first time?). All in all, I was "untaxed" for best part of a week. I didn't actually drive the car at all, though I know that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, this morning I receive a letter from a debt management company, stating its for an £80 fine from DVLA for the first week of November. I have no issue paying it, as it was my fault the car wasn't taxed, just very frustrating... even if I called to complain, I won't be calling from a position of strength, so not much I can do....

I've seen some articles online stating that anyone that receives this fine, will get 50% off if paid within a month, just a shame the first thing I heard about this was 4 months later
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 09:33 AM   #2
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

You must have been really unlucky!

My daughter 'renewed' her road tax online during December, which expired end of December last year.

At the end of January this year, she received a letter from the DVLA saying it's her last chance to renew.

She checked her emails and realised she had likely been re-directed to some other web site, when renewing, and they had taken 50p from her credit card, but no money had gone to DVLA.
She had received what she thought was a confirmation email of renewal at the time, but it was actually just a confirmed payment transaction. Too busy to look at the detail leading to her to believe it was road tax paid.

Anyway, she got online again, paid straight-away and all was ok.
      03-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Sounds about right!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 12:53 PM   #4
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

I'd be asking for the fine to be cancelled.

You tried to renew, the system wouldn't let you. You also rang twice for advice. Not much more you can do.
Appreciate 2
mcscoobs169.00
sahajesh2295.00