E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede v. Dinan?

01-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Jack be Quick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i / '05 545i

Procede v. Dinan?

So, I just picked up an '07 335i sedan and I want to bump the performance. I have read posts here until my eyes are ready to bleed on piggyback v. reflash and one piggy v. another piggy.

From what I've gathered, IMHO, is that Dinan ~

Reflash, overly expensive and under performs. But you get a limited warranty, reliability, and dealers accept it being there.

Piggyback, Procede specifically, is cheaper, offers newer maps as they are developed, preforms to expectations, and must be put on/off when the car goes to the dealer.

Alright, so if the Dinan gives approx. 380hp/421tq and thats underperforming... what can be expected from a Procede? Yes, I know it's not just peak numbers, but I have not been able to find quantified points rather then qualitative support of one vendor v. another. Does the Dinan not give you those results in realworld, is the Procede bump that much greater... whats the real difference in performance outcome?

Yes, I have ready the pages and pages of technical info comparing the two 'hottly contested' piggyback systems functions.

How about some real world or dyno comparisons between Dinan and Procede?

I don't mean to incite or ask the newbie stupid question, I am just looking to come up to speed quickly and determine which way to go with the car; based on performance, cost, and reliability.

Thanks.
      01-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Dinan owners tend to be a bit more conservative so you won't see a ton of drag strip results. The few that have gone to the strip on the stage II flash have (going off of memory) run in the 12.6 @ 111mph realm. If that's under-performing, I just have to shrug my shoulders.

Dinan is very conservative when it comes to high heat conditions (ask Bubbles) so repeated laps on a track, or pulls on a dyno are going to show lower numbers and/or limp modes. Dinan's answer to this is to buy their stage 3 package ($$$$$) which has the upgraded intercooler and oil cooler.

The most important thing if you choose the Dinan route, is having a dealer service department that has a good, longstanding relationship with them so that any warranty issues are transparent to you.

Last edited by Garissimo; 01-14-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
The PROcede will provide more performance and better driveability. You will not mistake one tune for the other since they both drive very differently. The PROcede with usually run a couple mph faster in the quarter mile if that is your thing. And available race gas maps will do even better. It really comes down to driving an example of both and see what is more enjoyable to you. We don't live on dragstrips or drive on the dyno so it's the other attributed to a tune that you will enjoy on a day to day basis.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Garissimo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The PROcede will provide more performance and better driveability.
Shiv
The "better driveability" claim is debatable. The Dinan flash is almost unanimously praised for its glass smoothness. Performance is going to be better on the V3 or JB3 because they run slightly more boost than Dinan stage II.
      01-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
The "better driveability" claim is debatable. The Dinan flash is almost unanimously praised for its glass smoothness. Performance is going to be better on the V3 or JB3 because they run slightly more boost than Dinan stage II.
Have you driven a Procede with the new torque targetting maps?

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:

Shiv
yes
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Doomed thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Stressdoc called it

Again, to the OP--- drive both systems if you can. Decide for yourself what you like better. Around theses parts, people will basically defend whatever tune they have at the moment.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

If you are fierce to defend something you don't know much about, have excess money to throw away, love to argue online until your fingers bleed, and are satisfied with nominal gains, get the Dinan flash! You'll fit right in.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack be Quick View Post
So, I just picked up an '07 335i sedan and I want to bump the performance. I have read posts here until my eyes are ready to bleed on piggyback v. reflash and one piggy v. another piggy.

From what I've gathered, IMHO, is that Dinan ~

Reflash, overly expensive and under performs. But you get a limited warranty, reliability, and dealers accept it being there.

Piggyback, Procede specifically, is cheaper, offers newer maps as they are developed, preforms to expectations, and must be put on/off when the car goes to the dealer.

Alright, so if the Dinan gives approx. 380hp/421tq and thats underperforming... what can be expected from a Procede? Yes, I know it's not just peak numbers, but I have not been able to find quantified points rather then qualitative support of one vendor v. another. Does the Dinan not give you those results in realworld, is the Procede bump that much greater... whats the real difference in performance outcome?

Yes, I have ready the pages and pages of technical info comparing the two 'hottly contested' piggyback systems functions.

How about some real world or dyno comparisons between Dinan and Procede?

I don't mean to incite or ask the newbie stupid question, I am just looking to come up to speed quickly and determine which way to go with the car; based on performance, cost, and reliability.

Thanks.

another main thing u have to remember is that you cannot resale a dinan tune. If you go with the v3/jb3 you always have the option of selling your tune. jb3 also offers a buy back program incase a better tune comes out in the next 6 months. all in all you cant go wrong with any of the 3 choices. I drove all three cars and the gas pedal map switching and the smoothness of map 4 and 6 are what mde me make my choice
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

To me, Dinan vs Piggy Backs falls into:
Do you want the hassle free performance but expensive?
Or you want the performance, very reasonably priced but don't mind some hassle (install/uninstall every time you visit dealership) since it saves you over 1k.

Answer that question yourself first.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
Garissimo
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Shiv
Nope. And given your history here, you'll forgive me if I don't simply take your word that the Procede "drives better".
      01-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Garissimo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
If you are fierce to defend something you don't know much about, have excess money to throw away, love to argue online until your fingers bleed, and are satisfied with nominal gains, get the Dinan flash! You'll fit right in.
And if you like to ignorantly stereotype people who went the Dinan route as having more money than brains, go the Procede route.
      01-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nope. And given your history here, you'll forgive me if I don't simply take your word that the Procede "drives better".
I'm not asking you to take my word for it. Just drive it and see if you think it drives like any other tune currently available for this car. If it doesn't drive noticeably better (more responsive, consistent, etc,.) then great. Tell the world. At least you would be offering an informed opinion. Until then, you aren't being helpful to the OP. You're just defending your purchase which is a pretty common tendency.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
I'm very happy with the procede, but to the original poster:

You should talk to someone who has used most of the piggy back tunes to get their opinion. Someone like Sniz has used Helix, Vishnu Procede, and BMS Juice Box. Unfortunatley i don't know anyone who has used the latest iterations of all three, but I'm sure something could be gained by talking to someone like Sniz who has dealt with all 3 vendors and been activley involved in the 335 community for a long time.

PM him.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
Garissimo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not asking you to take my word for it. Just drive it and see if you think it drives like any other tune currently available for this car. If it doesn't drive noticeably better (more responsive, consistent, etc,.) then great. Tell the world. At least you would be offering an informed opinion. Until then, you aren't being helpful to the OP. You're just defending your purchase which is a pretty common tendency.

Shiv
I'm sure it responds differently, but better is highly subjective. I think I gave the OP a good heads up on what the Dinan tune offers. I'd suggest he drive both if possible or talk to someone here who has owned/tried multiple tunes and make his own conclusion. Fair?
      01-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I'm very happy with the procede, but to the original poster:

You should talk to someone who has used most of the piggy back tunes to get their opinion. Someone like Sniz has used Helix, Vishnu Procede, and BMS Juice Box. Unfortunatley i don't know anyone who has used the latest iterations of all three, but I'm sure something could be gained by talking to someone like Sniz who has dealt with all 3 vendors and been activley involved in the 335 community for a long time.

PM him.
+1. There are others like SFValley335, Mote, nlowell, TMR, Rixst3r etc,. who have tried both current PROcede and JB3 options. There are also several people who are in the process of removing their Dinan flash in favor of a PROcede. You'll probably see reviews within the next couple of weeks.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I won't tell you what to do, because you would just assume I am biased, but I will say that I have several happy customers who dumped their dinan flash, took the loss, and purchased a PROcede Rev.II...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
LOL... wow... that's a bit harsh...

Well, I've got the Dinan Stage II... This is the first of my cars that I am "tuning," so I'm new to the scene and I wanted to be more conservative. Also, this is my daily driver, so reliability comes higher on the list than being at the forefront of speed with this car.

With the TT N54 engine being new (especially when I bought my car in early '07), I knew there would be inherent problems--problems not necessarily caused by aftermarket modifications (like the HPFP failures)--that BMW might try to pin on an aftermarket mod (ie piggybacks) if they found out. I didn't want to hassle with that, so I opted to go the "safe" route by getting Dinan.

Of course, my logic is based on the assumption that BMW could somehow detect a piggyback... and with all this technology going into BMW's these days, it seemed like a safe bet that BMW would find a way to detect piggybacks... it's in their best interest. However, fortunately (especially, for all the piggyback users on this forum) it seems that BMW has not found a way to detect piggybacks...

Basically, I chose Dinan because I thought it would be less likely to cause me problems than other aftermarket tunes... I have enough stress in my life that I don't need additional stress worrying about getting "caught" at the dealer for having a tune (if they ever find a way)... right now I'm finishing up medical school and I don't think my attendings would understand if I told them it was all Shiv/Vishnu's fault I didn't get to the hospital in time (although in retrospect, maybe I'd get there faster with Shiv's help )...

All that being said, I had some rattling noise from my car (infamous wastegate rattling) and I have been able to take it into BMW to get fixed with no stress/worries at all... I know if I had been using an aftermarket tune, I would be paranoid and worried (that is my nature haha). So for me, I'm happy with Dinan... any problems with my car, I get BMW to fix without worrying... and I am satisfied with the power.

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
Garissimo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I won't tell you what to do, because you would just assume I am biased, but I will say that I have several happy customers who dumped their dinan flash, took the loss, and purchased a PROcede Rev.II...
I'm not doubting your objectivity in the least, but are those customers that are switching also doing other mods (downpipes, exhaust, intakes, etc.) ? If you want to pick-and-choose supporting mods, the piggybacks with their various maps may be a better choice.
      01-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
If you want to pick-and-choose supporting mods, the piggybacks with their various maps may be a better choice.
Not only that, but if you put on DP's and exhaust, you can probably kiss your Dinan warranty goodbye, essentially making the choice of Dinan pointless... or continue to pay $2k for each mod thru Dinan haha...

Honestly, after my 4-year 50k mile warranty expires, I may also switch to PROcede (or other aftermarket mod) and start messing with the intake/exhaust... and aftermarket turbos... and etc etc etc... I'm just waiting for whatever's going to break to break under warranty... if it can survive 4 years, it'll be fine after that...

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Who?
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0