BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

04-15-2023, 07:55 AM   #1
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Lease Transfer Questions and Feasibility

I know that BMW is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to private lease transfers, but I am curious if anyone here has done the process with a G80.

I am slotted to take delivery Wednesday (woo hoo) and most likely will be keeping the car less than a year (bad habit), so I am giving leasing a shot this go around for many reasons, tax one of them. The deal is very compelling at MSRP with no add ons.

This idea all came about as I was originally trying to get into a lease transfer on a '21-22 instead of waiting for an allocation but I was always too late to the punch. It seems that lease assumption market for G80s is strong...am I crazy for relying on lease transfer as an exit strategy? Has anyone had a successful go with the G80s?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
It’s all going to depend on what your deal is and what the deals are at the time you’re looking to move on. Lease deals most likely won’t be any better in a years time, but who knows.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #3
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

It’s hard to say. I lease but get out early when it makes financial sense which is rare but these last few years have been unusual and I’ve done it a few times. However, current lease deals are pretty bad so if your sure you want out in a year or so it’s a risky bet. I’d only do it if you would be open to keeping it to term.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2023, 12:37 PM   #4
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep

Much appreciated. Averaged about 6-8 months with my last M3s so hopefully the market won’t change much. Wouldn’t be opposed at keeping to term but the new car bug is always itching.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 03:53 AM   #5
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post
Much appreciated. Averaged about 6-8 months with my last M3s so hopefully the market won’t change much. Wouldn’t be opposed at keeping to term but the new car bug is always itching.
Just to confirm you only pay taxes on the monthly in your state?

Two as others have said leases have been pretty constant and "suck" in most peoples eyes. So bare that in mind when you decide to dump it.

Make sure your lease deal is as clean as it can be an know you may have to put an incentive on it to move it. As the market isn't what it was 18 months ago as you could flip a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Just to confirm you only pay taxes on the monthly in your state?

Two as others have said leases have been pretty constant and "suck" in most peoples eyes. So bare that in mind when you decide to dump it.

Make sure your lease deal is as clean as it can be an know you may have to put an incentive on it to move it. As the market isn't what it was 18 months ago as you could flip a new car.
Wealth of information here. Thanks everyone.

Correct DocWeatherington - sales tax on monthly only. I just can’t stomach paying near $7k on sales tax with purchase versus less than $100/mo on each payment with lease.

I’m right at $1,200 for the base payment no tax on an $86k MSRP 6spd with buckets/exec and a few other options. No cap cost reduction so it would most likely be a straight up assumption. Not “loaded” by any means but just the options I really wanted. I think I should be able to get out of it if needed via swap, or being a 23 hope the market stays strong and can work a buyout with a dealer. The GM at my dealer knows I roll through vehicles quickly and already asked for first shot when I am ready to move on.

Is my thinking too crazy on this?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2023, 09:22 AM   #7
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Sales tax is what it is though, if you kept your car for say, 36 months, you’d get about half of that $7000 credited in trade towards the new car. There are benefits to both leasing and purchasing, but the trick for someone like you (and me) that switches cars often is figuring out which works in each instance.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #8
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post
Wealth of information here. Thanks everyone.

Correct DocWeatherington - sales tax on monthly only. I just can’t stomach paying near $7k on sales tax with purchase versus less than $100/mo on each payment with lease.

I’m right at $1,200 for the base payment no tax on an $86k MSRP 6spd with buckets/exec and a few other options. No cap cost reduction so it would most likely be a straight up assumption. Not “loaded” by any means but just the options I really wanted. I think I should be able to get out of it if needed via swap, or being a 23 hope the market stays strong and can work a buyout with a dealer. The GM at my dealer knows I roll through vehicles quickly and already asked for first shot when I am ready to move on.

Is my thinking too crazy on this?
I don't think your crazy especially since you get cars yearly.

At the end of the lease any equity would be gotten by the next buyer or if there is a net loss bmw.

So yeah, if you have a good sales person and tax even tho you pay it and it can be negated in a positive on a new car it could be a pro. Would have to figure out the numbers to see net costs.

Another option is buying the car ...then use it as you wish and list it using one of the rental apps..pimp it out until you recover the net cost of taxes or it's cash positive. Then sell it to a private party or dealership. However you could lease it, then when your tired of it buy it, then pimp it and again depending upon your area could make up the tax loss quickly.

Again tons of options just have to figure which you can stomach.

'Cane
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 02:08 PM   #9
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I don't think your crazy especially since you get cars yearly.

At the end of the lease any equity would be gotten by the next buyer or if there is a net loss bmw.

So yeah, if you have a good sales person and tax even tho you pay it and it can be negated in a positive on a new car it could be a pro. Would have to figure out the numbers to see net costs.

Another option is buying the car ...then use it as you wish and list it using one of the rental apps..pimp it out until you recover the net cost of taxes or it's cash positive. Then sell it to a private party or dealership. However you could lease it, then when your tired of it buy it, then pimp it and again depending upon your area could make up the tax loss quickly.

Again tons of options just have to figure which you can stomach.

'Cane
Interesting points with rental pimping…if it wasn’t a stick that could be very viable.

Think I’m going to just roll the dice with the lease for now and see what happens. Hopefully won’t get burned!
Appreciate 1