E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335xi '07 n54 no crank no start

04-16-2023, 09:34 PM   #1
gak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi 2007

335xi '07 n54 no crank no start

I've spent the past two days attempting to fix my bmw and so far have had no luck.

Title says it but heres what ive tried:
New starter - Works when out of car
New battery
Measured alt and its normal
Measured b+ cable and its delivering power
Made sure engine block ground is grounded
Engine will turn over manually so its not seized
Spark & fuel & compression is fine
Jumped battery while attempting to start

What im hearing,
Starter is clicking, along with a click on the driver side uppermost corner and some humming

List of codes ive pulled from MHD(I have tuned to stock map & stage 1+ to see if it would make a difference, it didnt), that are important, some codes i expect due to certain things not being plugged in.
2E7C BSD bus communication fault.
2AB4 DME: DME, internal fault: ram checksum(thinking of replacing dme?)
2D5F Reset (inactive code)

Any help would be appreciated, i have spent a lot of time looking and talking with friends and I have nothing left that I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:05 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Ground Strap on Drivers Side, did you check that, attach a jumper cable ....short one, from 1 end to the other.

Other than that, take it to dealer and tell them what you have done already. They can pin point an issue as they have an in-between computer with harness from DME to vehicle.

This should only be an hour labor cost at dealer.
Appreciate 1
gak0.00
      04-18-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
gak
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashShah View Post
Ground Strap on Drivers Side, did you check that, attach a jumper cable ....short one, from 1 end to the other.

Other than that, take it to dealer and tell them what you have done already. They can pin point an issue as they have an in-between computer with harness from DME to vehicle.

This should only be an hour labor cost at dealer.
Tested to ground strap when i get home from class its fine, have a mobile mechanic with bmw experince coming to the house tommorw so can only hope he can find if the dme is bad. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gak View Post
New starter - Works when out of car... Engine will turn over manually so its not seized... Starter is clicking, along with a click on the driver side uppermost corner and some humming [WHERE exactly is 'humming' coming from (Starter Motor?), when does it occur, and for HOW LONG? Does it occur when you press START button with foot on brake?]
List of codes ive pulled from MHD [NO CAS codes listed. DME has NOTHING to do with Cranking Starter. CAS activates Starter Solenoid via Terminal 50 which sends Voltage to Solenoid.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gak View Post
Tested to ground strap when i get home from class its fine, have a mobile mechanic with bmw experince coming to the house tommorw so can only hope he can find if the dme is bad. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
1) Please provide your Build Mo/Yr & Last-7 Characters of your VIN.
2) Please also indicate ALL Fault Codes, particularly any CAS Fault Codes, such as "A0B4"
3) Please indicate what Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) you have available to read fault codes in Modules OTHER than DME.
4) Please indicate if your transmission is AT or MT.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 10:32 PM   #5
gak
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
1) Please provide your Build Mo/Yr & Last-7 Characters of your VIN.
2) Please also indicate ALL Fault Codes, particularly any CAS Fault Codes, such as "A0B4"
3) Please indicate what Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) you have available to read fault codes in Modules OTHER than DME.
4) Please indicate if your transmission is AT or MT.
George
07-09/2007| A008253

The only codes that I have pulled other than mentioned was a consistant lean ratio(29E1, 2A2C) 2ABC, 3100 and a turbo charger high voltage code I cannot remeber the exact one, but i believe it was because I had sensors unplugged.

I have no other code readers other than a handheld generic one, which is where i got the lean code from other than the dme.

Automatic transmission
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #6
gak
Registered
Rep

So far ive found this: The Engine is fine air fuel compression all okay, the engine ground strap is fucked(?) so ive orderd a replacement strap. The only issue im having with this is its reading 3-5 volts Below head gasket, 12 above head gaskets on the block but perodically also measuring 3-5 above them aswell. Strap is green and frayed to hell so ill update if that was it when it arives.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:34 AM   #7
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Look up Vanos Cleaning and reinstalling....but when reinstalling, swap them.
I read that P3100 is Vanos related in these cars which would make it run lean possibly.
see this threat.....and google P3100 on bmw.

and you can make a Ground strap yourself....Just use a Good 4 Gauge wire with proper soldered endings.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645623
Appreciate 0