BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2023, 08:18 AM   #1
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Avoided an accident b/c of X3M

I just watched the video of the G80 M3 Moose Test and it reminded me of an experience I had a few weeks ago.

Driving through an intersection at rush hour, I was at the speed limit (30 mph), in the right lane. The left lane was clogged with people trying to turn left, so the oncoming traffic couldn't see me. And so of course some idiot tried to turn left in front of me.

I yanked the steering wheel hard to the right, and the X3M turned to 45 degrees and slid a bit and found grip, slight tire screech - this was on winter tires. I missed the car by a hair. Then I yanked the steering hard to left to avoid the curb, and the X3M turned to 45 degrees the other way, slid a bit and found grip, ... and I was back in the middle of my lane going my merry way, unscathed. A real-life moose test. I gave myself a high-five.

I doubt a regular X3 would have reacted so quickly and so brilliantly. The X3M handled with amazing composure during this maneuver. On summer tires the slip would be been even less.
Appreciate 5
      04-23-2023, 01:30 AM   #2
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I just watched the video of the G80 M3 Moose Test and it reminded me of an experience I had a few weeks ago.

Driving through an intersection at rush hour, I was at the speed limit (30 mph), in the right lane. The left lane was clogged with people trying to turn left, so the oncoming traffic couldn't see me. And so of course some idiot tried to turn left in front of me.

I yanked the steering wheel hard to the right, and the X3M turned to 45 degrees and slid a bit and found grip, slight tire screech - this was on winter tires. I missed the car by a hair. Then I yanked the steering hard to left to avoid the curb, and the X3M turned to 45 degrees the other way, slid a bit and found grip, ... and I was back in the middle of my lane going my merry way, unscathed. A real-life moose test. I gave myself a high-five.

I doubt a regular X3 would have reacted so quickly and so brilliantly. The X3M handled with amazing composure during this maneuver. On summer tires the slip would be been even less.
I'm glad that you & your car are both okay.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 02:29 AM   #3
golferdude
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Same thing happened to me. Was going through an intersection and the person turning the corner didn’t stop and I had do swerve out of the way. Felt like I avoided it by inches but it was crazy how the X3M handled it like it was nothing. I love how predictable and stable the BMWs I’ve had felt in those situations. BMW for life!

I’m glad you were able to avoid an accident!
Appreciate 0