BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #1
xenomorph78
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

What really happened during service? Need advice

So, I dropped my X3 off Tuesday at BMW Service in Plano for a scheduled oil change, new brake pads and vehicle inspection (TX). At the end of the day, we had not heard from the service dept. so I called. They said the oil change and brake pads were completed, but the person who does the inspection had left for the day. So Wednesday, we waited for a call and by 4pm, no one had called, so I called again. They said they will get it done, but it will be after 5p so I told them I'd pick it up the next day (Thursday which is now today).
My wife and I get there and the car is already parked up front which is a little unusual as they usually go get the car when we check-in. My wife pays and gets the keys and I head back home in my truck. About 15 to 20 minutes go by and I get a call from my wife saying the engine light came on and there is a burning smell. She proceeds to tell me that when she first started the car, it sounded like it didn't have a muffler but the sound went away after a few seconds. She didn't think much about it and drove off from the dealership. That's when 20 minutes later the engine light came on and there was a burning smell of oil so bad that she had to drive with the windows down back to the dealership.
The service advisor apologized and said the person who did the oil change did not do it right. So, my questions are these:
1. What could possibly not be done right in an oil change?
2. Why wasn't this noise noticed when the inspection was done the next day?
3. Most importantly, could there be damage to the engine for whatever was not done correctly?
4. Do you think that the unusually long time it took to get the car done, was time they needed to cover up this "not done right oil change"? Along with parking the car up front, instead of driving it around when we got there?

I just feel like something is waaaay off here, but I don't know anything about what could have caused this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 05:03 PM   #2
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Unfortunately only the dealer and the people who worked on your car would know for sure. It could be a hundred things. Anything from here would just be speculation and we’re all pretty good at that 😄

The advice I would give is to get everything in writing from the dealer. You should request documentation on what happened, what was done to correct anything, and anything they plan to warranty.

The dealer may not do this willingly so you need to be polite and firm and escalate if needed to the service manager, general manager, and BMWNA. If they are still unwilling be sure to leave negative and truthful reviews on website.

Good luck, I hope it’s noting to worry about.
Appreciate 2
JDsX3520.50
509er591.00
      04-27-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
For sure... call and speak to the GM, and tell him you want it ON RECORD that you followed up with them because of a mistake THEY MADE... and anything that happens from here on out can most certainly be questioned as to its origins. Obviously - do it politely and with understanding. Mistakes happen... but I would want it on record that they messed up, and you plan to keep that filed in a folder for future endeavors.

EDIT: obviously - I'm referring to future engine issues... Not the likes of a window not working or an electrical gremlin, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:12 PM   #4
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

I concur with the advices above.

mattsheng you didn't train that guy, did you?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:18 PM   #5
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
I concur with the advices above.

mattsheng you didn't train that guy, did you?
Nah I wouldn't take credit for that 🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:28 AM   #6
Oswego79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M Sport, 22 X3 M40i

Who knows if the inspection guy left and it had to be done the next day. Sounds fishy. Stalling for time to fix what they screwed up ?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:31 AM   #7
xenomorph78
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll update when I hear from them today... Hopefully today.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:42 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
As far as that "burnt" smell, it's possible that when changing the oil filter, they didn't get the rubber seal ring installed properly, causing it to leak to the point where the light came on. That's usually for low oil pressure but could also be for low oil volume.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:50 AM   #9
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

It seems to me that the service department should have detailed exactly what occurred and what the residual effects from the mistake are. Basically what caused the burnt smell and go from there. Of course, documentation is essential but them admitting the tech screwed up is a step in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

During the last oil change my dealer did, they failed to lubricate the rubber gasket on the oil filter before screwing it in. The rubber gasket was "folded over" and found to be leaking due to that.

At the time I drove off, everything seems fine but 30 minutes later as I pulled into my garage I noticed the smell of burning oil. The next morning I found oil drippings on the rubber garage floor mat I park the car on. I opened the hood to find numerous evidence signs that oil was on the top of the engine cover and the underside of my hood.

Took it back to them, got a few apologies and another full oil change and an engine cleaning.

Crap happens....they made good and apologized. But with their reputation being so excellent I was surprised that a simple oil change went so wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:22 AM   #11
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob175 View Post
During the last oil change my dealer did, they failed to lubricate the rubber gasket on the oil filter before screwing it in. The rubber gasket was "folded over" and found to be leaking due to that.

At the time I drove off, everything seems fine but 30 minutes later as I pulled into my garage I noticed the smell of burning oil. The next morning I found oil drippings on the rubber garage floor mat I park the car on. I opened the hood to find numerous evidence signs that oil was on the top of the engine cover and the underside of my hood.

Took it back to them, got a few apologies and another full oil change and an engine cleaning.

Crap happens....they made good and apologized. But with their reputation being so excellent I was surprised that a simple oil change went so wrong.
If I had to guess it was a brand new junior mechanic that they usually use for oil changes and minor issues. Live and learn I guess. Unfortunately, it’s always a consumer who has to be part of the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:50 AM   #12
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
As far as that "burnt" smell, it's possible that when changing the oil filter, they didn't get the rubber seal ring installed properly, causing it to leak to the point where the light came on. That's usually for low oil pressure but could also be for low oil volume.
That's what I was thinking. I suppose they could have the cap off, but jeez that would be beyond numb. Although I did get a rental car like that years ago where someone left the oil cap off and by the time I was 30 miles from the airport pretty much in the same circumstances as the OP.
Appreciate 0